Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Malgus: who thinks he actually died?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Malgus: who thinks he actually died?

Ancaglon's Avatar


Ancaglon
01.24.2012 , 10:14 AM | #1
No cutscene, no dramatic last words, not even a Noooooooooo!

Personally I think both he and Revan are reserved for comebacks.

Also, as I've pointed out elsewhere, his final dialogue before the fight sets up a Xanatos gambit, where he tells us that if he dies, the station will blow up along with the fleet that's attacking it -- this is just ignored.

Rhyltran's Avatar


Rhyltran
01.24.2012 , 12:02 PM | #2
I always subscribe to this law and it never lets me down. If you don't see them actually die. They don't die. This occurs all throughout the game and various char storylines as well. We see Malgus fall. We do not see him die. Thus. He's still alive.

Duradel's Avatar


Duradel
01.24.2012 , 12:31 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhyltran View Post
I always subscribe to this law and it never lets me down. If you don't see them actually die. They don't die. This occurs all throughout the game and various char storylines as well. We see Malgus fall. We do not see him die. Thus. He's still alive.
I disagree.

One reason is because he wasn't some crappy mid level boss like Revan was. He had his own Empire, his own shadow fleet, and really one of the best boss battles in this game. They sent him out epically, and I can't imagine how they could make it better than throwing him down a hole in his throne room (Just like Palpatine).

Second reason, I think the BW staff are too good of story writers to pull a blizzard and bring back good villains with a "Tempest Keep was merely a setback!" type line, just so they didn't have to think of new characters. It's extremely cheesy, to the point in which said occurrence was a sad joke in the WoW community for many years after they brought back the Kael'Thas character, who had supposedly been killed.

DarkestDaemon's Avatar


DarkestDaemon
01.24.2012 , 01:17 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Duradel View Post
I disagree.

One reason is because he wasn't some crappy mid level boss like Revan was. He had his own Empire, his own shadow fleet, and really one of the best boss battles in this game. They sent him out epically, and I can't imagine how they could make it better than throwing him down a hole in his throne room (Just like Palpatine).

Second reason, I think the BW staff are too good of story writers to pull a blizzard and bring back good villains with a "Tempest Keep was merely a setback!" type line, just so they didn't have to think of new characters. It's extremely cheesy, to the point in which said occurrence was a sad joke in the WoW community for many years after they brought back the Kael'Thas character, who had supposedly been killed.
Lord Draagh was sent tumbling over a railing into a burning pit of fire.

And he comes back as a cyborg.

Never, ever doubt the off screen 'death'.
"The Force will set me free!"
Darth Tybek Maar, Wraith of Taris
Wraith (The Story of Tybek) - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=246582

Lexandar's Avatar


Lexandar
01.25.2012 , 04:31 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Duradel View Post
I disagree.

One reason is because he wasn't some crappy mid level boss like Revan was. He had his own Empire, his own shadow fleet, and really one of the best boss battles in this game. They sent him out epically, and I can't imagine how they could make it better than throwing him down a hole in his throne room (Just like Palpatine).

Second reason, I think the BW staff are too good of story writers to pull a blizzard and bring back good villains with a "Tempest Keep was merely a setback!" type line, just so they didn't have to think of new characters. It's extremely cheesy, to the point in which said occurrence was a sad joke in the WoW community for many years after they brought back the Kael'Thas character, who had supposedly been killed.
You basically summed up the storyline of KOTOR. Hell the story of Revan can be summed up as "The series of events which happened previously... were merely a setback".

I hope Malgus isn't dead (and its more likely than not that he isn't... yet) as his rationale for going rogue was never really fully explained. I'd like to know what epiphany... or more likely what brainfart, caused him to go AWOL before I hit him until he stops.

Ancaglon's Avatar


Ancaglon
01.25.2012 , 05:18 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Duradel View Post
Second reason, I think the BW staff are too good of story writers to pull a blizzard and bring back good villains with a "Tempest Keep was merely a setback!" type line, just so they didn't have to think of new characters.
Yes, they have good writers. But I think they've mangled this ending at a late date in the release cycle. Malgus talks of having set the station to detonate and take out the surrounding Republic fleet (I assume it'd be the Imperial fleet for the Empire side), and that only he can de-activate it. The assumption has to be that he was bluffing, since there's nothing else to do after defeating him -- which just doesn't sit right. After all, if he's that weak, why would he bother sending his entire elite Imperial Guard out of the room rather than getting them to kill the 4 interlopers, with him standing back and throwing that Force Lightning stuff?

Also, when I got back to Ilum to meet the Republic high command, Cole Cantarus is on the Holoprojector talking about how we crashed a spaceship into the throneroom to kill him. Either he's a really good liar, or the actual fight was changed after the voice acting work was completed...

Side note: I don't suppose any of those people that were datamining the Beta files has reported anything about an alternate ending to that fight?

CrepedCrusader's Avatar


CrepedCrusader
03.02.2014 , 05:19 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Duradel View Post
I disagree.

One reason is because he wasn't some crappy mid level boss like Revan was. He had his own Empire, his own shadow fleet, and really one of the best boss battles in this game. They sent him out epically, and I can't imagine how they could make it better than throwing him down a hole in his throne room (Just like Palpatine).

Second reason, I think the BW staff are too good of story writers to pull a blizzard and bring back good villains with a "Tempest Keep was merely a setback!" type line, just so they didn't have to think of new characters. It's extremely cheesy, to the point in which said occurrence was a sad joke in the WoW community for many years after they brought back the Kael'Thas character, who had supposedly been killed.
But Palpatine came back after that, too...in fact, no force user has died from a fall from what I remember. Mace is dead before he hits the ground and darth maul also comes back.

Stanimir's Avatar


Stanimir
03.05.2014 , 11:35 PM | #8
He's dead. You can just straight up kill him now in the flashpoint. They left the door open to themselves, but then closed it.

The Emperor and the Emperor's Children, on the other hand...for a future and soon update ;P

Darth_Wicked's Avatar


Darth_Wicked
03.06.2014 , 07:29 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Stanimir View Post
He's dead. You can just straight up kill him now in the flashpoint. They left the door open to themselves, but then closed it.
That would be the case if they had removed the grenades altogether, which they haven't. In other words, it's up to the player to decide if he's truly dead or not.

Plus, even before they changed it, it was possible to kill Malgus when the DPS was high enough. Still, I honestly wish he's dead, since I think the character, on a fundamental level, served its purpose.

Quote:
The Emperor and the Emperor's Children, on the other hand...for a future and soon update ;P
Doubtful.
Spoiler
Click here for some FREE unlocks ( Referral Link )
Quote: Originally Posted by Agent Madel Felth, Imperial Intelligence
If we mourned every conquered planet, we would NEVER have become an Empire.

pandarisman's Avatar


pandarisman
05.21.2014 , 10:33 AM | #10
I could have sworn I saw a passage in the Old Republic Encyclopedia stating that there are rumors that Darth Malgus survived