Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Horrid FPS

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

draeberflodhest
12.24.2011 , 06:23 AM | #1871
Problem: Sometime I get low fps in e.g. warzones however some times even when there is alot going on the game runs smooth. However it always go nuts (2-3 fps) if I spam C og N to get comp. screen or charater screen up.

I have studied the problem alot around the forum. I have changed anisotropic filtering to x16 and turned tripelbuffering ON. Before these changes it was even worse.

I have tried High as well as low grap. settings in-game. Any suggestions?

Server: Bloodworthy
Nick: Baest

Here are my specifications:

Spoiler

Darkblizzard
12.24.2011 , 06:36 AM | #1872
Hello,

It is exactly the same issue for me, I have turned off shadows and that has helped. I can go to 90fps in some areas and 1 fps in warzones. I find it frustrating that is so varied. It makes no difference whether I select high or low settings. I cannot PvP and the first spacestation you arrive at causes my computer to go less than 1 fps. My computer is not top of the range but I though I could at least run it on low.

If your computer was too old would it ba able to fun at 90 fps at times? I dont know whether my 3 year old computer is causing this or whether the game is.

Windows rates everything 5.9.

Windows Vista 32bit
4 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-core Processor 2.20Ghz

Thank you

criticaldean
12.24.2011 , 06:47 AM | #1873
Having framerate issues here too, first computer can be as low as 7 fps in pvp and the game on second comp is totally unplayable in certain areas, seems random. Please sort this issues out soon, I really like the game and don't want to have to cancel my supscription.

first computer:
Windows 7 64-bit
AMD Athlon II X3 435 Processor 2.89GHz
6 GB RAM
Radeon HD6850 1GB GDDR5

second computer:
Windows 7 64-bit
AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core 2.30GHz
4 GB RAM
Radeon HD5750 512MB GDDR5

Dralzar
12.24.2011 , 06:48 AM | #1874
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hey everyone, we have an update on this issue for you. Our development team and our production team have been investigating this issue and we want to thank everyone who has posted constructively on this thread. You’ve provided the development team with a basis for investigation into the low FPS issues, and with your help they have identified and are in the process of resolving the indoor framerate drop.

Please note: this applies to people experiencing a severe framerate drop only when inside buildings, or alleviated symptoms when turning off shadows. Please keep in mind that there are always numerous factors at play when you experience an issue; the more specific you can be with your report, the better you are equipping us to investigate and fix it.

If you are experiencing a framerate issue that does not fall under that very specific category, please respond to this thread with the following information:
  • A clear and concise description of your issue.
  • Your DXDiag (please use spoiler tags).
Have you followed these specific steps (see my note about “Low” settings):
  • Change settings to high, click apply. You should see a loading screen as settings are applied.
  • Change settings to low, click apply. You should see another loading screen.
  • Observe whether there is any change in performance.

Some of you have already pointed this out, but there is a separate issue at play here that might be adding another layer of confusion. Your settings will always display as “Low” on first run of the game – but they might actually be on Medium or High!

Thank you for your patience, and know that we are keeping a very close eye on the forums.
My FPS stutters everywhere I go. It usually hovers around 40-50 fps, but then it drops to anywhere between 0.1 and 3 FPS. The drops seem to be totally random. This typically happens every 3-10 seconds, so the game has become virtually unplayable. I have already tried changing the settings to high and then back to low, but it hasn't helped at all.

NOTE: This problem only exists on my main character, who is now on Alderaan (level 32). The FPS problems began on Taris (around level 16) and have gotten progressively worse. I am experiencing NO FPS PROBLEMS on my other lower level characters, whom have only been on the starter planets, the republic fleet, and coruscant.

Here is my dxdiag:
Spoiler
Forced Consent
Republic | Black Vulkars (US West, PvP)
Guild Page Forum

TheLobster
12.24.2011 , 07:28 AM | #1875
bump...

Zanguar
12.24.2011 , 07:41 AM | #1876
changing grafic from low to high and back made difrence for 5 sec... before i oved.. than fps droped down from 35 to 12 in space station, in warzone fps was not 5-7 but 10-12 and still slideshow, no matter if i had highest setings or lowest
A: Screen shot or it didn't happen
B: No screen shot, it was a phone conversation...
A: ....screen shot or it didn't happen...

Dgzter
12.24.2011 , 07:41 AM | #1877
I'm running on a pretty dated Dell XPS 1530m (3 years old):
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz
6GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 8600m GT 512MB
Win 7 64-bit OS

I certainly wasn't expecting much at all, but as it met the Minimum Requirements I was hoping I'd at least be able to achieve something playable. Unfortunately even with everything set at Low/Off and on low resolutions the game constantly stutters and remains between 2-15 FPS - moving the settings up or down doesn't seem to affect it at all, for better or worse (only when I crank everything up to the max does it deteriorate further). When trying to access menus or bags it stutters for a second before popping up, movement is choppy and everything just seems that slight bit unresponsive. I daren't step into a Flashpoint as even in Heroics the FPS drops to 2-5, and PvP is just completely unplayable.

I'd happily settle for woeful graphics if it simply ran smooth enough to interact properly with the world...

Here is my DxDiag:

Spoiler

JeanK
12.24.2011 , 07:54 AM | #1878
Server : Baron Deathmark

So much lag, makes the game almost unplayable.
15/20 FPS Everywhere
5/15 In structure
about 7 in Warzones/The space station.

I'm runing on a 2 years PC i assembled my self. Never had trouble with it (I can play a lots of recent games with it with pretty good settings)

Spoiler

Maybe lucasart/bioware could make a comercial gesture ? The game is unplayable for me till the begining, it just eventually get worst.

Didn't mentioned that i've played the private beta without any problem of this kinds, with max settings (except shadows)

Habboi
12.24.2011 , 08:00 AM | #1879
Hi all,

I've been researching this framerate problem for a while now and I have some things you can do that may help you improve your FPS but remember your hardware also needs to be good enough to run the game. However it is known that even powerful PC's are struggling with this game therefore it suggests an engine issue that I'm sure will be resolved. I also suspect Nvidia will release a driver that should increase performance for this game so that's something worth waiting for.

Regardless here are the list of things I have done:

1. The classic set to high settings and then to low settings.

2. Edited the games .ini which contains the graphic settings for your account. You can find this at: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings

My ini is as follows:

Spoiler

Note that setting the TextureQuality = 0 is actually setting textures to medium / high so if you want even better FPS try 1 or 2. I believe Bioware are aware that high settings aren't working and thus we can only either have low or medium.

3. Right click on the SWTOR launcher and click properties. Select Compatibility and choose the following:

Disable Visual Themes
Disable Desktop Composition
Run as Administrator

4. Go to Control Panel and then Nvidia control panel. Choose Adjust image settings on the left and then slide the slider from quality to performance if it isn't already.

5. Make sure drivers are up to date and open up task manager and close any non essential programs like flash update, printer drivers etc. Really though you should have all this disabled on startup anyway. Want my advice? Use CCleaner to clean your firefox history and crap and also fix your registry, defrag using defraggler and do a disk check by right clicking on the C drive in my computer and using the tools tab. Reset and let it do its thing.

6. It has been suggested that playing in window mode also helps. While I was datacron hunting I was playing in a smaller resolution which obviously helped. In fact it helped a great deal so you should consider playing at a crappy resolution if visuals do not bother you like myself. Performance over visuals is my motto.

I still get a drop in framerates in certain places like the space station but its a "lot" better than it used to be. My hardware could be better though. Nvidia 285 GTX, Quad Core 2.66 ghz and 4gb ram windows 7 64 bit.

Oh yeah you should consider getting Windows 7 if you have Vista because there is such a huge difference in performance that it's crazy.

Hope that helps.
Link to fix bad framerates below:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...22835&page=188

Omni_Prime
12.24.2011 , 08:01 AM | #1880
warzones getting 15-20 FPS completely unplayable

Please fix this I would hate to leave the game...because of a simple design issue with display and pc hardware.

there is no way to have fun in an arena when you are processing this twice as slow as others,

Core I7 920
12gb ram
gtx570
SSD