Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Horrid FPS

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Maxspeeds
12.24.2011 , 04:50 AM | #1851
Uninstalled and did clean install of game, fps is good with smooth flow. Maybe some hot fixes applied.

Kuuzon
12.24.2011 , 04:58 AM | #1852
Mmmm a lot on my server have FPS problems - especially in buildings and caves etc. Still, glad to see Bioware onto it, only a few days after launch. I still put up with it, just cant do Warzones.

But im not going to criticise Bioware. Put it in perspective peeps, this has been a massive launch, and compared to some other MMO launches, relatively well. Here's hoping FPS issues is the next prob fixed.

Mortai
12.24.2011 , 05:03 AM | #1853
I had issues with FPS, but got two fixes.

Short term:
- Changing VSYNC settings gave short term solution.

Long term:
- updating NVidia drivers to the latest.

In the end, this really was a driver update issue for me.
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgment.

Dannykysh
12.24.2011 , 05:10 AM | #1854
Not sure what fixed my issues. Woke up after the first major problems & it was all good again.

I like to play on high settings (shadows still off) but fps ain't as smooth as low, so something what really helps with me is setting swtor.exe to high priority in task manager.

Fekarabosse
12.24.2011 , 05:20 AM | #1855
Hello,

Well I'm experiencing similar issues to many people in this thread.

I'm aware however that my system just meets the requirements :

Intel core 2 duo @2.4GHz
2GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 320m
Windows XP

I have never expected to be able to run the game on high settings, anywhere between a stable 20-40 FPS on low settings is fine by me.

I'm sure comparing games isn't really constructive, nor really helpful but I've been running Skyrim very smoothly on medium settings, as well as WoW on high settings with this computer. Not to mention I've played all recent Bioware games with no issues whatsoever on the highest settings. Which really comes as a surprise, knowing that previous Bioware games were always so brilliantly optimized.

I'm not expecting miracles, but the game is unplayable at the moment, all settings to low, no shadows and lowered resolution to 1024*768, I get 40-80 FPS indoors, when no other player is around (Instanced areas for example). It can just happen too that the game decides to hiccup and lag in the very same areas, netting me 2 to 15FPS. Outdoors varies a lot, Dromund Kaas is unbearable, constantly hoovering between 50 and 2 FPS. Stations main areas are a slideshow.

I've tried everything, even overclocking my GPU. I saw a maximum FPS increase but the stutter and random (And constant) FPS drop remained the same.

Another thing to note, as others have pointed out, sometimes, when starting up, the game really runs well, few hiccups here and there, but I blame these on my PC and can accept it. Then, somehow after a while, the game just decides to slow down gradually, easily noticeable with loading times (Even conversation loading times). It can even affect the whole computer after shutting the game down, greatly reduced performance in windows for a while. (I can live with this one, not picky about that)

The only thing that sometimes worked to fix the slowdown was to turn the settings to high and low and restart my computer. But then again it just works sometimes. And it doesn't really fix the FPS rollercoaster.

Like many subscribers here, I'm completely clueless about what's going on. this game is very nice, but simply not enjoyable right now.

It would be nice if a few crumbs could be tossed our way, not a complete report but along the lines of 'We've identified the problem and are working to fix it, it apparently could be a XXX issue, keep you posted'. Right now, despite an answer or two, our requests (Not for an immediate fix, mind you, we understand it might take a while to pinpoint the issue and solve it or publish a workaround) remain largely unanswered.

Sadly, not knowing what to do and if you really take this problem seriously undermines our enthusiasm.

As for me, I accept games running just okay, it must be even more frustrating to these people with vastly superior PCs who should be able to run this smoothly with high settings all the way.

I really hope you will consider our requests and take time to keep us updated. Just a little something, you know, we are aware this is launch and that you probably are overwhelmed.

Thank you.

Errrkill
12.24.2011 , 05:21 AM | #1856
It's 5:40 AM EST, I'm currently in game. I'm playing in Alderaan, I'm outside the space port and it says there are 21 people in my zone. I'm currently getting a steady 30 fps on the move. The lowest it drops is to 22fps. I'm also getting around 35-38fps outside of Alderaans main city.(This is with EVERYTHING ON HIGH.)

This is the smoothest it has ever played for me. During PEAK hours outside of towns my fps says 60fps (this cannot be true as I am only recieving 30fps average with almost nobody online tonight).

So, in a minute after I enjoy this I'm going to post my dx diagnostic with my info.

Before I loaded the game I ran dxdiag just to see my own info. To my mild suprise I recieved an error while running dxdiag:

Error: Problem getting extra sound info.

As I stated earlier in this thread I thought that the erratic fps might have been caused by sound isssues related to stuttering I sometimes heard. I'm no computer genius but I've played every game since the commodore 64 and I know that graphics and sound can be very closely related.

My motherboard is an ASUS and if I remember correctly my sound card is integrated. After I ran dxdiag and got the error, I checked my device manager for any driver conflicts and I found one. However it wasn't my sound card, it said internet controller... something or other (sorry I'm drunk and I don't remember the exact name .) So I uninstalled it like the noob I am.

I then loaded the game and got steady fps as I stated at the beginning of this wall of text.
Stand by for dxdiag.

Spoiler

If anyone notices similar problems please contribute. Also I never had the sound error until I installed the retail version of the game. Trying to post as much info as I can. Sorry again for the wall of text and my drunken stupidity.

Daning
12.24.2011 , 05:28 AM | #1857
In open world pve/pvp I encounter none or very few issues with fps. It goes around 25 - 40fps which is absolutely acceptable with the given system I'm running the game on.

However, once I enter a warzone fps plummets down to 5 - 8, except in void star where I get a whooping 11fps. Various tweaks and solutions have been tried, in fact all that I can think of that have been provided on the forum. It does nothing to alleviate the problem. As a former computer tech, I've applied all kinds of performance tweaks that I can possibly think of. Nothing at all helps.

Also, I've noticed that my gpu load is 0 - 20% in all cases, except during dialogues where it goes up to 40 - 60% load.

EDIT: Indoors/caves give me no problems at all, on the contrary it makes my fps hit 50 - 60 at times.

(For thread posters, Yes I know the system is lacking. No need to inform me of that. No, an upgrade is not "cheap" for everyone. That's a relative term. Thank you very much )

DXDIAG, yo!
Spoiler

Vahriin
12.24.2011 , 05:30 AM | #1858
Quote: Originally Posted by Vahriin View Post
DxDiag:
Spoiler

FPS snaps between 1-5 frequently when move around or turn the camera in open areas, mostly town/city areas. 20-30-40 fps when it's going 'well', which usually is when I'm standing still(doesn't matter where I am) or if I'm far away from any settlement or a in 'corridored' areas. Shadows/bloom/Vsync always off, tried many times switching from low graphics to high or vice versa and it has no effect. Drivers updated, etc.

This game is amazing, just this FPS is killing me.
Also I think is worth mentioning, loading times are very long. *Especially* when entering a new planet. Also, I don't know what I was thinking, but I attempted to join a warzone, but I'm pretty sure due to the long loading time I didn't even make it in. I just reappeared where I clicked to port to the warzone.

Humoristen
12.24.2011 , 05:38 AM | #1859
I've just noticed most people who has this problem are using Nvidia GeForce, and my computer should run this on high settins easily and here's ppl using GeForce with end-game comps too, whos suffering lagg...Might be smth!

Disketa
12.24.2011 , 05:41 AM | #1860
Normally I have my fps at 50+ everywhere in the game except for warzones where it drops to 5-20. But the strange thing is that yesterday I played some warzones and suddenly I had perfectly fine fps, no lags at all. After that I enter the warzone again and it was the same 5-20 fps.

I even tried to edit .ini file to force the AA, as someone in this thread stated that it solved the problem for him, but sadly, when I add the "AntiAliasingLevel = 8" line, the game won't even start.