Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Horrid FPS

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

shinguvna
12.23.2011 , 11:18 PM | #1771
I will be unsubbing (along with many others I'm sure) if they don't at least announce a fix for this horrible performance in the next fortnight or so. I have 5 friends who own the game and every single one of them has a computer that exceeds the recommended specicfications and EVERY ONE OF US has terrible fps in warzones and alot of world locations to. Really disapointing Bioware, I wish you chose a better engine or worked more on optimization.

Funny thing is I hear the beta ran much better compared to retail.. So what did they change to ruin it?

Hansenn
12.23.2011 , 11:21 PM | #1772
Bump do something bioware

Aaronnar
12.23.2011 , 11:22 PM | #1773
They sure changed something, I was running excellently on my terribad old 3 series saphire... I upgraded to Radeon 6770 for launch and my framerate is all over the place between 3 and 15 in warzones and crowded areas and between 60 and 100 on my ship and in hangars and low pop areas.

Tectonics
12.23.2011 , 11:26 PM | #1774
i have 4gb of ram and my physical memory when playing this game is always 90% + and my fps drops as a result when entering caves, i imagine it is due to having the 4GB that my performance in caves etc... is still at least tolerable (just), but there is a noticable difference, and given how many ppl are experiencing the problem it has to be server side with memory leaks etc....

the issue is not game altering for me given my ram and specs, however i do notice a change in fps (60 down to like 15-20 which is reasonable although noticable) however this issue is causing my brother to consider unsubbing and one of the reasons i switched to this MMO was to play with my brother, it would be nice to have this problem sorted.

Britainftw
12.23.2011 , 11:27 PM | #1775
Perfect FPS indoors: (60-90 at least)
Mediocre FPS outside/fighting (30-40)
HORRID FPS in Warzones (10-20)

Everything on low/off, etc.

Dxdiag: The 6520 is my integrated card. The game uses a 6770.

Spoiler

_Myth_
12.23.2011 , 11:32 PM | #1776
Right,going to try and be as clear as possible here^^

My DxDiag -

Spoiler

First of all,shadows are a no-go for me..if they are switched on..especially on High,i am looking at 8-15fps no matter where i am. Turning Shadows off immediately alleviates this problem.

After that..the basic problem is...other players = my bane. If i am by myself..be it on my ship,or on some lonely part of some planet..my fps averages around 40-50 even during combat. Sometimes 100+ on my ship..but thats to be expected. (i dont mind 40-50fps btw,in fact..i love it! lol)

Really it just fluctuates all over the place after that...it all comes down to how many other players are around in my experience. I want to be clear and concise here and i could give detailed accounts of how much my fps changes here and there etc etc But really,the only constant in all of the performance breakdown is the amount of other players around.

High/Medium or Low settings doesnt change a thing (besides shadows),Warzones are sluggish,choppy messes from my perspective at 8-15fps. As are full Operations..i did a full Op on a heroic world boss on Tatooine last night and it was very close to being a slide-show in terms of fps during the fight.

Questing and general solo PvE is alright,it fluctuates/spikes between 20-40 depending on the population and vicinity of other players and how busy it is...eg Tatooine with 147 players around can get choppy..then Tatooine later that night with 37 players around..smooth as butter for the most part. (Just to make sure,i am talking specifically about FPS,not lag^^)

For my part..im not asking for miracles,i expect a place like the Imperial Fleet to be choppy as hell in terms of fps..its just the gameplay aspects that are unforunate because last i checked,i have above the recommended specs for this game and its very annoying to have core aspects of the gameplay like Ops and PvP almost unplayable.

Finally,all my drivers are up to date..both graphics and sound. SWTOR runs at the highest possible priority with my CPU and i use a well known program to shut down or otherwise temporarily disable all but the most important background applications while running it. My disk is defragmented weekly and im pretty sure there isnt a family of evil PC-goblins living in my tower and messing everything up^^

To top it off,ive been running SWTOR with the Windows resource monitor in the background,and also GPU-Z for my Radeon graphics card just to get a look at whats going on aaaaand as far as i can tell,my RAM is being used alot,my quad core is having a lazy holiday..and my GPU is working the most when loading into the game..then after that its Load sits at around 50-69..even during the most extreme cases of fps drops :/

At the end of the day,i just want to know what the problem is..there are so many in this thread with different rigs yet similar problems. Please bioware,what do i need to upgrade to get this game running smoothly? Im in for the long run either way,i just want to be able to pvp properly,enjoy ops and not see a bunch of other players as a threat to my PC's performance. =)

QuintCosmicRider
12.23.2011 , 11:40 PM | #1777
Two computers and the game is no longer playable on either one. Thought things were getting better yesterday (all the suggested "fixes" done, most didn't have any impact) with fps getting up to 8-12 range. I know, it's awful ... but at least playable in some areas. Today, fps is near zero (1-4). I am giving up for now. It looks like to me that the underlying problem(s) need to be addressed before I (and many others) can hope to have a good gaming experience. With thousands of people trying dozens of different fixes on high-end to low-end machines, confusion and frustration will multiply until BW figures out what happened between beta and release to crash fps for so many.

Brothertom
12.23.2011 , 11:41 PM | #1778
crap fps, I am so happy this is not just me.

Idk my computer specs because I am ignorant but I play battlefield 3 in max res and max settings at 60+ fps

Tokayz
12.23.2011 , 11:42 PM | #1779
I am curious why everyone has such a difference in fps between warzones and non-populated areas. I get like 70-75 running through the forest and 60-65 in warzones.
Also funny I don't ever get more than 90 fps(even inside the ship) and less than 60(even in total mess).

I guess the engine optimization is the problem for most of you guys, I could be just lucky the game is optimized perfectly for my rig.

Tokayz
12.23.2011 , 11:43 PM | #1780
Quote: Originally Posted by Brothertom View Post
crap fps, I am so happy this is not just me.

Idk my computer specs because I am ignorant but I play battlefield 3 in max res and max settings at 60+ fps
Then you msut have something like dual gtx 580. You would never have any problems in any game right now, especially swtor.
You lie about bf3 or about swtor.