Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Launcher wont launch - Only a Single Instance error

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Launcher wont launch - Only a Single Instance error

Isean
12.14.2011 , 06:55 PM | #1
Whenever I try to launch the game so that I can get the client to download I get an error saying "Only a single instance of this application can run." The thing is, I am only TRYING to run a single application, but whenever I try, it launches twice apparently and wont let me even download the client. How do I get this fixed so that I can play?
"Life is a story, your story. You are the main character. Live your story in such a way as you would want that story told to future generations."

Isean
12.14.2011 , 07:06 PM | #2
Self bump because I want to play this game.
"Life is a story, your story. You are the main character. Live your story in such a way as you would want that story told to future generations."

spinaltaprocks
12.14.2011 , 07:11 PM | #3
CTRL-ALT-DEL processes-roght click-end process tree. You clicked the launched too many times because you didn't realize how slow the launcher loads or it locked up during load, you already have one in the background. close it and try again

Isean
12.14.2011 , 07:16 PM | #4
Nope, I just downloaded whole new client after uninstalling. The client had the option to "play SWTOR now" after installation, I clicked that and hit finish. It opened up an admin page asking permission to launch launcher.exe I say ok, then it stated the error. How do I click to many times if I literally let the installation program start it for me?

MacPasty
12.14.2011 , 07:20 PM | #5
I get the same problem. I've tried installing a few times now same thing. When i click it it wont open at all. Process is running but nothing happening. If I try to click it again i get the only one program at a time thing. I want to play!

TheRageThreeK
01.07.2012 , 08:43 PM | #6
I had this issue, but I just killed launcher.exe in Task Manager, and then I was able to run the launcher.

I also had another machine with a twitchy mouse and found if I right-click the game icon and select "Open" it will run... now it's time to buy a new mouse for that machine!

Tasau
01.08.2012 , 12:02 AM | #7
I'm getting the problem where it opens and task manager says it's there - but I can't access it. I can't see it and with the exception of the 'only one instance of this application can run' notice; I can't tell it's there. It was working 15 minutes ago, but I was getting back connection to I logged out and reset my internet. Now, I'm having this trouble! WTH do I do?

dingoperson
01.08.2012 , 12:10 AM | #8
The error is because it's already running. The real error is that the first time you launch it it doesn't show up.

Do you have any unusual display setups, like multiple monitors?

If you hold ALT and press TAB, does it show up there?

Tried to restart the PC since 15 minutes ago?

Also reported by a CS rep: update to last version of Java could help.

Packetdancer
01.08.2012 , 01:04 AM | #9
Other than the oft-quoted ones -- checking for a broken 'patch' directory under your SWTOR installation and deleting it, making sure your antivirus/firewall aren't blocking launcher.exe, making sure you have the proper version of Java and the .NET Framework and any other Windows Update updates applied, etc. -- there are several non-obvious solutions, too. For instance, if you're a musician and have Korg MIDI devices, there's a conflict with the Korg USB MIDI adapter driver and the launcher; unplug the Korg device and the launcher should work. Similar issues apply to the Avid video editing boxes.
Pahke Stardancer (Jedi Sentinel, Save Taris)
Writer, photographer, software engineer, GAMER.