Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Most POWERFUL Jedi/Sith

OjamesE
12.16.2011 , 06:48 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Kingstonian View Post

As far as the chosen one, I'd say it was Anakin, because he did eventually return to the light and killed the Emporer, but we can't really say for sure.
the wording was to "restore balance to the force", that doesn't mean the jedi side should win/dominate

SushaBrancaleone
12.16.2011 , 07:59 AM | #92
history isnt made of ifs and buts...

so my interpretation goes like this.

1) yoda cant beat palpatine (cos hes old or he didnt have lunch, i dont care he lost)
2) vader beat palpatine (i dont care if he was distacted fighting luke.. tuff)
3) vader is weaker than anakin (cos he cant block force lighting with robot hands making him palps tool)
4) Obi One beats Anakin, (no matter if anakin was to full of himself,, he lost <hands and legs included>)

Luke... well during IV-VI hes never strong enough to beat palpatine. after that there are few decent stories /comics and i dont really care what luke did.

if u go to old cannon tor times its easier
(spoiler incoming btw)
Revan can't beat the emperor (hes trapped 300 years by him)
you would thus say the emperor is the strongest force wielder BUT
a young jedi or sith kills the emperor...
long story short: YOU/WE are the strongest jedi in Tor times. we'll just have to see how this is integrated in sw cannon, i assume something similar down the lines of KOTOR.

cant be bothered going another 1000 years back but... just go to wookepedia or google it its the most common SW thread ever.

Kashinia
12.16.2011 , 08:33 AM | #93
I guess, despite my amount of EU reading, I've always been one of those people that; after a Jedi/Sith reaches a certain level of power... I just ignore them. I don't mind well-written power (someone like Revan from the games, not the latest book. Who was painted as being pretty strong, but also incredibly smart; so that the power was well directed, so therefore seemed more powerful. Exile and Bastila would be a step or two down from Revan). But sometimes its just like... eh? The Emperor. Starkiller. Palpatine (at times). Theres been a few Jedi in there; as well. Theres just a point where they become silly powerful and I sort of stop caring. I don't mind planet-destruction because of y'know, something like the Death Star. But the all powerful force people? Bleh, bad writing, usually.
<DecemberCrew>
I guess you could say all this cold weather makes us... chill.

ProfessorWalsh
12.16.2011 , 08:44 AM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by Kingstonian View Post
According to George Lucas, Luke Skywalker is the most powerful Jedi that has ever been, with Revan and Yoda coming in close, in fact Luke considers Yoda the greatest Jedi there ever was although Luke has surpassed him (that's pretty humbling of Luke if you ask me). Emperor Palpatine was listed as the most powerful Sith ever, although Darth Bane would get my vote.

Wookieepedia.com
George Lucas has never commented on Revan. He certainly has never placed Revan "close" with Luke Skywalker.

Revan can't hold a candle to Grandmaster Skywalker, who is the most powerful Force User in Star Wars. Revan would be dispatched like a sack of waste by the one true™ Jedi Master.

So far I would have to rank them at:

1. Luke Skywalker
2. Anakin Skywalker (Pre-Mustafar)
3. Darth Sidious
4. Yoda
5. Darth Vader
6. Darth Caedus / Jacen Solo
7. Obiwan Kenobi
8. Jaina Solo
9. Nomi Sunrider
10. Mace Windu

Revan would be somewhere around number 15 or so at best.
"There is no room for compromise. We walk the path of the light side, or we fall into darkness. There is no gray area, Ben."
~ Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker (P. 187 FotJ, Book II: Omen)
Host of the Jedi Council stream also author of From the Journal of Val Starwind

ProfessorWalsh
12.16.2011 , 08:45 AM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by OjamesE View Post
the wording was to "restore balance to the force", that doesn't mean the jedi side should win/dominate
Nope. George Lucas did state though that "Restoring balance to the Force" means the eradication of the Sith however.
"There is no room for compromise. We walk the path of the light side, or we fall into darkness. There is no gray area, Ben."

ProfessorWalsh
12.16.2011 , 08:53 AM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by Ulven View Post
The profecy claims a force user to balance the force and thats what Anakin did. He gave the Sith back their power of ruling after thousands of years dorment. Thats why i agree to the fact that Anakin was the "chosen". The profecy do not say which way this balance should go, be it dark or light, but in the end he did actually but the balance back to the force. Both ways
You have an incorrect grasp of the prophesy of the chosen one.

"Balance to the Force" doesn't mean a balance between the success of the Jedi and the Sith. He did not bring "Balance" to the Force by helping the Sith rise to power.

The prophesy isn't a number's game, it isn't about Jedi success versus Sith success.

The prophesy is about the Force itself.

The situation is easily explained, albeit symbolically, like this. You have the Light Side of the Force, which is passive, it doesn't want to wipe out the Dark Side. Then you have the Dark Side of the Force which wants to consume everything.

The Sith by the nature of what they do actually cause the Dark Side to grow. When this happens it begins to literally consume the Light Side. This is why people make reference to the Light Side being eclipsed.

This upsets the balance of the Force.

Note: There has never been any canonical incident of the Light Side consuming the Dark Side so please do not attempt a fallacy statement asserting such a thing.

The Sith do this by their presence and activities.

Note that the Sith are not the only Dark Side Force Users out there. This isn't something that practicing the Dark Side causes naturally. This is actually something that was actively being done by the Banite line of Sith to which Vader and Sidious belonged to.

According to George Lucas the only way to bring balance to the Force is to destroy the Sith which Anakin Skywalker did. He could have done this before he participated in the destruction of the Jedi Order, it was never a requirement of the prophesy that such a thing occurred and it was not a part of the prophesy that the Jedi be wiped out either.

Kashinia
12.16.2011 , 09:16 AM | #97
I wish I had a citation for this, but there was a book that explained the prophecy better than I had ever heard;

So according to the traditional view of the Force, there is both Light and Dark, obviously. When you have a Sith, they take the dark side, but they also grow it. They take the seed and make a plant. The insatiable thirst for hunger. For a Jedi, they take the seed and nurture it, but it never particularly grows. (Thats often why 2 Sith can provide trouble for tons of Jedi). The problem with this is the Universal balance. ("An energy field created by all living things", remember.) All the darkness, sadness, badness, however you want to phrase it in the universe was the Dark Side. This was naturally balanced with the kindness, generosity, and all other warm and fuzzy things being done by all the other beings in the galaxy. However, the Sith in growing the Dark Side when they had it, upset that balance. A Jedi just took and focused a portion, but a Sith grew it. Therefore upsetting the balance. So; in this particular interpretation of the Prophecy, the Sith had to be eliminated for there to be true balance. Otherwise balance would have been achieved when you just had Yoda/Luke and Vader/Sidious. (Not counting Luminya, Mara Jade, and all those other EU folks were flitting around at that time.)

Or another metaphor I guess you could use that I've made up would be Sith took the balloon and just kept adding more air to it, as much as they could. The Jedi took the balloon and were happy with it. But because one side inflated and the others did not, the balance didn't work out.
<DecemberCrew>
I guess you could say all this cold weather makes us... chill.

kinka
12.16.2011 , 10:55 AM | #98
The problem with "most powerful" could mean alot of things.

Best Swordman? Mace Windo. He beat the Emperors ***.

Jedi Power? Yoda.

Aedilous
12.16.2011 , 11:41 AM | #99
I was under the impression that the one who brought balance to the force didn't come along until much later on, though he was a descendant of Luke and Anakin (can't remember his name). He did that by not using the Light side or Dark side of the force only but by using both.

You can't balance something by unbalancing it. If the Jedi order is powerful and has whole groups of Jedi across the galaxy while the Sith number far fewer then there is a distinct imbalance of power toward the Jedi. By killing more Sith and not Jedi there isn't a balance at all. If Anakin was the one to bring balance to the force he did so (IMO) by destroying the Jedi order when he went Dark side and sending the remnants into hiding.

Balance isn't about having more "good" people in the world than "bad".

Then again, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who know more about than I do. Just my opinion.

normcarter
12.16.2011 , 12:05 PM | #100
Doesn't the force have a will of its own? Regardless who was the most powerful, or who could beat who, it seems the force would make sure what it wanted to happen happens.
It doesn't seem to care about who has the most contact with it or whos old or young.
The force showed a vision of the chosen one long before the chosen one ever arrived. Clearly the force already chose the chosen one and the paths for those involved. The force seems to determine who is strong in it, not the other way around.
In conclusion, the force is both the strongest sith AND jedi ever!