Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Republic vs. Empire Storyline Compatability

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Republic vs. Empire Storyline Compatability

cdstephen
01.23.2012 , 08:07 PM | #1
Does anyone know if the storylines available to each faction are compatible with each other? Because they do different things on each planet, and as an exclusively Imperial player I'm not sure if they are compatible with each other.

As an example (spoilers ahead about Corellia):

Spoiler
The HK droid that absolutely no one likes.

Koronii
01.23.2012 , 08:11 PM | #2
There seems to be some kind of order in which the class quests happens. Though it isn't entirely made clear.

LukeDanger
01.23.2012 , 08:50 PM | #3
Yeah; for some stories there's a clear order. For example; Balmorra has the Imperials kick the Republic in the teeth, but when the Republic arrives they turn the tide around. Balmorra was a low-level Imp planet for Act I, while it's an Act II planet for the Republic.

Tatooine, Nar Shadda, Alderaan, and Hoth seem to happen at roughly the same time, though, and probably some others too.

DarkestDaemon
01.23.2012 , 08:55 PM | #4
The Empire pretty much breaks the back of the Republic on Taris.
"The Force will set me free!"
Darth Tybek Maar, Wraith of Taris
Wraith (The Story of Tybek) - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=246582

Vanifae
01.24.2012 , 05:58 AM | #5
This makes sense then, Taris is an Act I planet for Republic but it is an Act II planet for the Empire. I was just wondering this myself as I would like to think that the Empire and Republic storylines happen in the same universe just at different chronological moments.

Has BioWare commented on this at all?

Ranadiel_Marius
01.24.2012 , 06:08 AM | #6
All class stories are supposed to fit together to some extent or another. Figuring out how they fit together is going to take a long time and a lot of fan debate.

Most of the world arcs fit together, but they don't all fit together perfectly as some of them have shared quests between the factions such as Tatooine, Hoth, Voss(sort of), and I think one other. Also I need another round of the Republic on Quesh before I can figure out how they fit together. Quesh either is incompatible between the factions or establishes a canon choice for the Imperial world arc.

Regarding Corellia:

Spoiler

Vanifae
01.24.2012 , 06:12 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Ranadiel_Marius View Post
All class stories are supposed to fit together to some extent or another. Figuring out how they fit together is going to take a long time and a lot of fan debate.

Most of the world arcs fit together, but they don't all fit together perfectly as some of them have shared quests between the factions such as Tatooine, Hoth, Voss(sort of), and I think one other. Also I need another round of the Republic on Quesh before I can figure out how they fit together. Quesh either is incompatible between the factions or establishes a canon choice for the Imperial world arc.

Regarding Corellia:

Spoiler
That makes sense for the spoiler.

Spoiler

MasterKai
01.24.2012 , 06:14 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanifae View Post
This makes sense then, Taris is an Act I planet for Republic but it is an Act II planet for the Empire. I was just wondering this myself as I would like to think that the Empire and Republic storylines happen in the same universe just at different chronological moments.

Has BioWare commented on this at all?
The game itself does pass time, its just kind of subtle about explaining this fact. Each Act happens at different times in the Galactic conflict.

Act 1 - Cold War.

Act 2 - Cold War returns to open conflict.

Act 3 - Everything goes to Hell more or less.

Like I said its kinda subtle but the game itself provides plenty of hints.

Imperial Balmorra has the Empire's major opponent being the Balmorran Resistance, rumours hint that the Republic is backing them but they don't have any major presence on the world that would affect the Treaty (And then spoilers pop in.).

Republic Balmorra has the Empire fighting a battle against Resistance forces backed by a now present Republic army. Bugtown has become the Republic staging area and formerly Imperial camps now sit in Resistance hands, showing that the war has begun again and the Treaty was tossed out the Senate window.

Act 3 and the Interlude both have things on the more intense side of things. The Empire's pushing for control of the Core Worlds while at the same time:

Spoiler

There is a chronological order to the events in game. Finding out what that chronology is, is another matter entirely.

On the subject of the Corellian events. My bet is that the Empire stuff takes place before the Republic. Makes more sense that way.
Ren Kai, Kreed, Darvati, Iralia Kai, Lok, Verick, Anali, Corinthian
Sentinel, Vanguard, Gunslinger, Sage, Assassin, Juggernaut, Sniper, Powertech
SW:TOR Collectors Edition

MasterKai
01.24.2012 , 06:19 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanifae View Post
That makes sense for the spoiler.

Spoiler
Not exactly a perfect answer but:

Spoiler

Could be untrue, as I suppose you can take that banter multiple ways.
Ren Kai, Kreed, Darvati, Iralia Kai, Lok, Verick, Anali, Corinthian
Sentinel, Vanguard, Gunslinger, Sage, Assassin, Juggernaut, Sniper, Powertech
SW:TOR Collectors Edition

Vanifae
01.24.2012 , 06:24 AM | #10
Yeah that would be a fantastic project to actually chronologically map out when each event is supposed to happen. I caught the subtle references to the changes of the political environment as I leveled as well. I liked it.

But it can be hard to miss if you are not paying attention. I will admit doing Taris first as Republic and then coming back as Empire threw me for a loop because I was like, wasn't this a Republic base...

But it makes more sense now since the stories take place at different times.