Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Planet load times not dependant on PC performance?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Planet load times not dependant on PC performance?

Deftek
01.23.2012 , 07:48 PM | #1
Why are the load times so long? Was expecting my SSD to make dust of the normal load times MMOs experience, but this is just getting ridiculous. 45 seconds to load a planet is crazy.
"and thus ever goes the world. Fools laughing at what they cannot see and wise men foretelling what fools cannot comprehend."

flankster
01.23.2012 , 07:51 PM | #2
it is not just you i have 2x 120GB SSD in raid 0 with i7@4.8GZ and 8Gb ram and mine is slow aswell
Smuggler of No Win Scenario http://www.nowinscenario.co.uk
Server = ToFN
PEW PEW Real open space PLEASE!!

Mannic
01.23.2012 , 07:53 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Deftek View Post
Why are the load times so long? Was expecting my SSD to make dust of the normal load times MMOs experience, but this is just getting ridiculous. 45 seconds to load a planet is crazy.
What kind of connection are you on?

And no, SSD does not significantly improve load times in TOR because it's not a load time issue. It's a problem synching with the server. You'll notice the loading always pauses at the same place and then just hangs there, obviously waiting for some signal from the server to proceed. I don't know if the server is uploading object data during this time or if the game is just really slow at wiping memory and reassigning new memory space or what exactly is happening, but I do know that I haven't played a game since Gothic 3 that had loading times this long (that game had ridiculous 3-4 minute loading time.)

iResist
01.23.2012 , 07:55 PM | #4
This game as far as I can tell, loads the WHOLE planet all at once, whereas say a game like WoW you basically only load as far as your draw distance is set.

It's the reason why SWTOR doesn't have a terrain distance option, it loads the whole map. The only other distance is draw distance for stuff like grass/trees/models.

Ameenachan
01.23.2012 , 07:56 PM | #5
Oh no! not 45 precious seconds!
Not to sound mean to anything, but I live in New Zealand, I'm lucky if a planet loads in 45 seconds, normally it takes over 2 minutes.

Its 45 seconds, spin around three times in your chair, boil the kettle and make a cuppa. Don't come to the forums and complain over 40 seconds you could of spent walking forwards.
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ Sith Assassin / The Harbringer / Myrinia ┬──┬◡ノ( -ノ)

Ameenachan
01.23.2012 , 07:59 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Ameenachan View Post
Oh no! not 45 precious seconds!
Not to sound mean to anything, but I live in New Zealand, I'm lucky if a planet loads in 45 seconds, normally it takes over 2 minutes.

Its 45 seconds, spin around three times in your chair, boil the kettle and make a cuppa. Don't come to the forums and complain over 40 seconds you could of spent walking forwards.
Also, while I wait for the worlds to load, I lift some light weights, talk to a flatmate or you know, do something than complain.
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ Sith Assassin / The Harbringer / Myrinia ┬──┬◡ノ( -ノ)

Mannic
01.23.2012 , 08:00 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by iResist View Post
This game as far as I can tell, loads the WHOLE planet all at once, whereas say a game like WoW you basically only load as far as your draw distance is set.

It's the reason why SWTOR doesn't have a terrain distance option, it loads the whole map. The only other distance is draw distance for stuff like grass/trees/models.
I might agree with this except that during most of the loading time, your computer isn't actually loading any data, unless it's just taking the client that long to write the data to memory. But the HDD loads some data, stops, and just hangs there, at least that's how the loading bar goes on my system. If that's the case then there really are issues with this engine outside of the FPS issues people complain about. RAM is much, MUCH faster than a HDD-- it should take that long for the system to assign data to RAM after pulling it from the HDD. If anything, the HDD should be the bottleneck.

SpikeRosered
01.23.2012 , 08:00 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by iResist View Post

This makes a lot of sense, I was wondering why they didn't have a draw distance. I wish they did so there was something else I could put to 0.

Mannic
01.23.2012 , 08:02 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ameenachan View Post
Also, while I wait for the worlds to load, I lift some light weights, talk to a flatmate or you know, do something than complain.
It wouldn't be that huge of an issue if BW didn't force you travel through multiple loading screens to go anywhere. It also makes doing things like queueing for WZ's while, say, questing on Belsavis, a royal pain, since every time a WZ ends you've have to sit through the loading screen again.

And yeah, it may be worse for you, but that still doesn't make it cool when I can't recall a single other MMO I've played where "loading screens" were an issue.

flankster
01.23.2012 , 08:02 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Mannic View Post
What kind of connection are you on?

And no, SSD does not significantly improve load times in TOR because it's not a load time issue. It's a problem synching with the server. You'll notice the loading always pauses at the same place and then just hangs there, obviously waiting for some signal from the server to proceed. I don't know if the server is uploading object data during this time or if the game is just really slow at wiping memory and reassigning new memory space or what exactly is happening, but I do know that I haven't played a game since Gothic 3 that had loading times this long (that game had ridiculous 3-4 minute loading time.)
connection is 100Mb down and 20MB up
Smuggler of No Win Scenario http://www.nowinscenario.co.uk
Server = ToFN
PEW PEW Real open space PLEASE!!