Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can't decide on AC....

ItstheGenerator
12.14.2011 , 06:43 PM | #1
Hey all.

So I played the beta a fair bit a few weeks ago. I managed to get up to level 25 or so as a Powertech. I had planned on leveling a Merc too, but due to time constraints that sorta fell to the wayside. I've been watching some pvp videos and reading quite a few threads, but that's only caused me more uncertainty in choosing.

I'm mostly interested in PVP. I'm not looking to be a FOTM "BEST CLASS DAY ONE LOLOL" but at the same time, I don't want to be put at a disadvantage by choosing a class with inherent issues. I'd love for others to chime in on their experiences and correct me where I am wrong.

1. With Jet Charge and Grapple unable to be used on cover, Does that mean a melee spec is going to get destroyed 99% of the time by Snipers and the like? Did you find these classes had a distinct advantage over you?

2. By going a DPS tree as Powertech (Pyro for example), you seem to lose most every shield or damage reduction type ability, and you won't be using ion gas cylinder. Which theoretically puts you at the same level as a Merc in terms of defense. However, the merc is going to be able to LOS heal/Offheal, and you can't. Does this make a big impact on pvp? Remember, both AC's still have Kolto Overload and Energy Shield.

3. I've read threads saying Merc's are pretty squishy in melee, and Powertechs are pretty formidable. But at the same time, I'm having a hard time seeing where a damage specced powertech really gets much to account for this.

4. Are you using a shield offhand in pvp, or a power generator? If a shield, how often is it proccing/reducing with no Ion and no talents?

Thanks for reading. Please whisper soothing things to me so I can pick an AC without regrets.

Iserath
12.14.2011 , 06:51 PM | #2
wow thanks for posting this... its exactly what i was thinking but i was too lazy to actually post it... if a powertech is sooo tanky even in pyro i wanna know how and why??
Played Star Wars Galaxies for over 6 years on the Bria server as a Bounty Hunter named Iserath in the guild NOM

Thoinar
12.14.2011 , 06:59 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by ItstheGenerator View Post
Hey all.

So I played the beta a fair bit a few weeks ago. I managed to get up to level 25 or so as a Powertech. I had planned on leveling a Merc too, but due to time constraints that sorta fell to the wayside. I've been watching some pvp videos and reading quite a few threads, but that's only caused me more uncertainty in choosing.

I'm mostly interested in PVP. I'm not looking to be a FOTM "BEST CLASS DAY ONE LOLOL" but at the same time, I don't want to be put at a disadvantage by choosing a class with inherent issues. I'd love for others to chime in on their experiences and correct me where I am wrong.

1. With Jet Charge and Grapple unable to be used on cover, Does that mean a melee spec is going to get destroyed 99% of the time by Snipers and the like? Did you find these classes had a distinct advantage over you?

2. By going a DPS tree as Powertech (Pyro for example), you seem to lose most every shield or damage reduction type ability, and you won't be using ion gas cylinder. Which theoretically puts you at the same level as a Merc in terms of defense. However, the merc is going to be able to LOS heal/Offheal, and you can't. Does this make a big impact on pvp? Remember, both AC's still have Kolto Overload and Energy Shield.

3. I've read threads saying Merc's are pretty squishy in melee, and Powertechs are pretty formidable. But at the same time, I'm having a hard time seeing where a damage specced powertech really gets much to account for this.

4. Are you using a shield offhand in pvp, or a power generator? If a shield, how often is it proccing/reducing with no Ion and no talents?

Thanks for reading. Please whisper soothing things to me so I can pick an AC without regrets.
1. Hit them with a stun dart, it deactivates their cover because the animation prompts them to stand up and shiver, then grapple or charge, problem solved. plus, you get some nice movement enhancing abilities in the adv. prototype tree like http://www.torhead.com/ability/9WZ1Z2j and http://www.torhead.com/ability/bpLQwdz (especially that last one stacking with the first, and its lovely 30sec. cd is...well just think of a train hitting something squishy very fast)

2. guess the same answer as 3.

3. http://www.torhead.com/ability/hmutni1 is a ***** in pvp.

4. Shield generator make more sense if you run a tanking tree, for a dps PT spec you'd go for the power generator for more offensive stats since without a tankspec shieldgenerator just blows.

personally, i'm gonna run a pvp Merc specced for dmg. just love the knockback we get on rocketpunch, can't wait to punt people into the poison pit in huttball, stun them and watch them melt whilst enjoying a cold beverage.

edit:

here are my PT and Merc speccs i dabbled with so far:

PT
http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/...ede6fef4efef9:

could move some points around for reduced CD on the stun dart thingy but i prefer the gyroscopic alignment jets (gosh, i'll shorten that to GAJ) which in combination with the prototype cylinder ventilation (srsly ? -.-) allows you to blow of al lot of steam in pvp (literally) meaning you get to blast out more heat generating abilities.

overall i get the feeling that pyrotech is a bit inferior to adv. prototype when it comes to pvp. also...wristblades predator style wooot woooot ?

Merc:
http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/...3fe2f6ef3e2f6:

hmmm, not much to say, i like it as a pvp build but you get 30 sec. off the cooldown from determination (your pvp insignia) which coupled with the aformentioned knockback on rocket punch is effing awesome.

Quote: Originally Posted by ItstheGenerator View Post

There, there....all the bad sneaky punks will burn to cinders...all will be good....don't just use the flamethrower...BE the flamethrower ! *smooch*

McBrite
12.14.2011 , 07:43 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Thoinar View Post
There, there....all the bad sneaky punks will burn to cinders...all will be good....don't just use the flamethrower...BE the flamethrower ! *smooch*
You, kind sir, are both a gentleman and a scholar! Thanks for the post! I ALWAYS appreciate reading something of value rather than endless trolling and so on... - Struggling with that decision right now. You nudged me back to the merc side, so it's 50/50 once again... Damn...

Jude_Tavira
12.14.2011 , 07:47 PM | #5
if you can't decide, then play them both until you figure out your prefered play style.
It's very simple. Make two characters, and put an effort into both. Play one one day, play the other the next. Alternate back and forth. It shouldn't take long for you to pick your prefered toon.

edit: I'm personally going to be using a Merc, as my playstyle is the Damager type. I hit hard, and I hit fast. I'm too impatient to be a tank, and I never got the hang of being a tank.
Plus the merc can also dish out some decent healing (kept my team alive and still managed to get in a couple shots) during a heroic 4+ mission with an upped difficulty. (honestly; i was sweating bullets with nervousness of letting my team down.. I don't do healing well. lol)
Bounty Hunter, baby. I'm only here for fortune, and fame.. in that order.

Wa-kin
12.14.2011 , 07:58 PM | #6
go powertech, way to many mercenaries... for each powertech you see you've seen 15mercenaries lol, it's ridiculous.

ItstheGenerator
12.14.2011 , 08:07 PM | #7
Thanks for the advice so far. Yeah, I also saw quite a few Merc's in beta, hence most my questions. There isn't as much raw information out there on Powertech as Merc