Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Powerr's Jedi Shadow Tanking Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Powerr's Jedi Shadow Tanking Guide

TasosKot
01.24.2012 , 07:30 AM | #11
I found both of ur videos rly nice about the bursting guide thats how i m playing but i like survivability also. And i cant decide which is better for pvp i m using 2/31/8 right now (its quite good) tested the 27/14 spec which i didnt like and i have to test the 23/18 and 31/0/10.
Which one is better for pvp u think? i saw in ur video that u lost abou 1-2k of ur previous dmg. And can a kinetic shadow beat the infil shadow in 1v1?

anstalt
01.24.2012 , 07:35 AM | #12
Looks good.

I'm currently playing a 23/0/18 spec, still in the process of gearing up and whilst I'm enjoying being a tank, I'm finding the build pretty underwhelming so might well try a full 31/0/10 spec. Instant mind-crush just doesn't proc very often and instant force lift, whilst sometimes nice, is more often fairly useless as most republic players have a tendancy to spam CC even if its not needed so most of the people I actually want to CC have full resolve.

What I'm finding in pvp though is survivability still isn't great. I'm currently running with champ stalker implants, mainhand and headpiece whilst everything else is either crafted tank gear or the daily tank gear. Have around 225 expertise but only 16.5k health, ~25% shield chance/40% absorb.

I still die a lot. Shield virtually never procs, only really works against juggernauts and marauders and my armour doesn't seem to count for anything. So, I'm still really squishy except when deflection and resiliance are up. When both of those are popped then yeh, virtually unkillable for 5-10 seconds, but they are short duration. Do you find the same, or is this simply because I lack gear?
Anstalt - lvl 50 valor 81 Shadow Consular

Currently retired due to poor design decisions within the game that have killed its longevity. Get rid of Hickman before he ruins the game completely!

Baddmoon
01.24.2012 , 07:58 AM | #13
Thanks Powerr!

I love this spec. The utility is just awesome playing this way.

A couple questions though:

1. Why the shield as your offhand? Is it purely for the endurance? I was under the impression shields are broke for PvP (except for white damage). I find myself using a focus and ignoring KW all together for this reason.

2. Do you have specific key binds for this build? If so, can you please post them?

Thanks man!

Spud_Kernow
01.24.2012 , 08:28 AM | #14
since the buff to slow time i tried a build similar to this and have to say it rocks..... i am going to change my build to the same as yours as it is better.

I just wanted to throw out there that my PVP gear was inf orientated and heavy on Crits and surge stats, and i just wanted to say that when slow time and FB crits you can see the health bars of a whole group disappearing in a way that gives a healer massive problems. It was spiking far more than Shadow strike ever could.

I would not suggest for a minute that this is a better gearing spec for a shadow tank but one for theory craft... at least until they give us battle logs.

Wish i could give you guys numbers for this ive noticed it more than once..... i didnt notice FiB crit to the same extent when i played balance spec using the same gear.

Stacking the debuffs of slow time, mass/mind control force slow and rotating the double strike/project is not only getting me more medals/valor in warzones but since playing this spec the groups i am in are winning far more warzones as opposition DPS is pretty much out of the game.

You do get a lot of calls for acting like an assassin etc by those that dont understand our debuffs, you will never top the damage charts and farm MVP's but in terms of teamplay our damage debuffs and snares cannot be underestimated.
The Unifying Force Campaign - Int. Heavy RP
Chale Jamai
:: The Sacred Vigil:: Jedi Aspirant
CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY....
Follow us on Twitter | Visit our Forums | Check out our Website

Exilim
01.24.2012 , 08:36 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Kupke View Post
I'm curious how people think this stacks up to 23/0/18. I've tried slow time spec for a while after the patch hit and still prefer having FiB in my spec. Maybe i should try it again though.

This is what I have been milling over for awhile now. I just don't like the idea of telekinetic throw. It seems out of place for as jedi shadow talent especially a high up one. It's rooting you for 3 seconds, and I fight stuns snares roots all day all night. The plus is it does damage, heals you about half of a medpack and maybe baits them into wasting their interrupt. The bad side is it can also let someone gain distance which can hurt you more in the end and it takes 2 project procs to get the most out of it for us.

I like the idea of a free instant cast mind crush even if it's only a ~10% proc chance in the end. It does good damage and keeps me mobile. An instant cast Force Lift that follows up with a 2 second stun when it breaks is a powerful play as well.

I wish I could put it all into practice, but I've been slacking hard on my Jedi Shadow. Only level 42 ZZzzzzzz.
I believe in people bombing
I believe in people warring
I believe diseases coming
I believe that's why I'm running

BigSkill
01.24.2012 , 10:18 AM | #16
Hi Power, i saw ur beautiful video, are u using any sort of macro binded on the Mouse or Pad? If so, can u post your macro rotation plz?
Thx
AXIS of Blood

Jatne
01.24.2012 , 10:39 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Baddmoon View Post
Thanks Powerr!

I love this spec. The utility is just awesome playing this way.

A couple questions though:

1. Why the shield as your offhand? Is it purely for the endurance? I was under the impression shields are broke for PvP (except for white damage). I find myself using a focus and ignoring KW all together for this reason.

2. Do you have specific key binds for this build? If so, can you please post them?

Thanks man!
Haha, you don't want Powerr's keybinds they are filthy! His 1, 2, 3 are on the left toolbar.

It's like 75% of the known world writes left to right, 25% writes right to left, and then there is Powerr, who just likes to be different so he writes top to bottom!
COME AT ME BRO
(No Moderators)

oddmyth
01.24.2012 , 10:55 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Jatne View Post
Haha, you don't want Powerr's keybinds they are filthy! His 1, 2, 3 are on the left toolbar.

It's like 75% of the known world writes left to right, 25% writes right to left, and then there is Powerr, who just likes to be different so he writes top to bottom!
It's so you can watch CD's in the bottom bar.

You don't need to see the abilities that are GCD or so close to GCD bound that its irrelevant to watch..

Many of us have been doing this for years. Hell I'd love to be able to play with just one bar visible.

Jatne
01.24.2012 , 11:00 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by oddmyth View Post
It's so you can watch CD's in the bottom bar.

You don't need to see the abilities that are GCD or so close to GCD bound that its irrelevant to watch..

Many of us have been doing this for years. Hell I'd love to be able to play with just one bar visible.
Lol, I know why he does it. Last time I checked out one of his vids he had stances on the bottom bar too tho.

I was mostly teasing, however it is a serious point that copying someones keybinds may not be a good idea, as everyone is used to a different system. Albeit only slightly in most cases.
COME AT ME BRO
(No Moderators)

Archaar
01.24.2012 , 12:38 PM | #20
Thanks for the write up and video power, much appreciated. I've been running with this build and although I miss the raw burst from my old infiltration build, I'm loving the utility and survivability I get from this. I have never played any kind of tank spec in any other game, so this is all new to me, but it's a lot of fun. I've not lost a single 1v1 in either warzones or open world, I've come against 31 point Sins and won quite easily, since it's so easy to predict their rotation I just pop resilience after the second Clairvoyant and totally negate their burst. I am noticing more sins speccing this way though.

Couple of questions though, some already have been asked in this thread.

Harnessed Shadows, is this worth it? Telekinetic Throw just doesn't seem to have synergy with what I'm doing, I just don't like being rooted while channelling this ability. Plus it's duration seems quite short so I sometimes miss 3 stacks of it.

Offhand slot, I've read some people saying that shields are useless in PvP, is this the case? Should we just be using a dps focus?

Kinetic Ward, again this is another ability which people have questioned using, due to the state of shields in PvP, plus I keep forgetting to turn it on lol