Books in the old replublic setting?

Flexer

What are the definitions of the Old Republic timeline wise? I'd think that you could squeeze in the Darth Bane trilogy into the Old Republic category.

That depends on how specific you want to get. The Darth Bane trilogy is indeed part of the "Old Republic Era" as defined for publishing purposes (25,053 - 1000 BBY). However, my reading of the original post is that the poster was asking for books more directly related to this game, so that'd be a much smaller piece of the overall timeline.

To answer the opening post on that basis (i.e., works that are most directly applicable to the game):

Start with the Tales of the Jedi comic series (available in two omnibus editions from Dark Horse Comics). That series depicted the return of the original Sith Empire to the Republic's sphere of influence, as well as its ultimate demise. The Sith Empire in this game is descended from the fleeing remnants of that old empire.

After that, you could move onto the Knights of the Old Republic comic series, which takes place around 10 years prior to KOTOR I. There are three comics series under this game's umbrella. The first two - Threat of Peace and Blood of the Empire - can be read right here on the official website or purchased in trade paperback form. The Lost Suns will be released in trade paperback in April 2012.

Similar to those comic series, there have been two short stories under the TOR umbrella. Smuggler's Vanguard can be found archived here (the link on the official Star Wars website no longer works). A summary of The Third Lesson can be read on Wookiepedia; it was published in the Star Wars Insider magazine, so there isn't an online link to read it.

Three TOR novels have been published so far. The earliest (chronologically) of these was Revan; it starts at 2 years after the events of KOTOR, then jumps to 5 years after (and 3 years after KOTOR II); it is roughly 300 years prior to TOR. The second novel (again, chronologically) was Deceived; it's set around 10 years prior to TOR, covering the timeframe when the Sacking of Coruscant occurred and the Treaty of Coruscant was signed. The last (chronologically) was Fatal Alliance, which seems to have been set shortly before the game. I enjoyed both Revan and Deceived; Fatal Alliance was awful.

Here's an attempt at putting all of that into a chronological order:

* Tales of the Jedi

* Knights of the Old Republic (comic series)

* Knights of the Old Republic

* Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

* TOR: Revan

* TOR: Smuggler's Vanguard

* TOR: Blood of the Empire (this seems to be set during the Great Galactic War; can't be more specific)

* TOR: The Third Lesson (framing story only; main story takes place years before SV)

* TOR: Deceived (overlaps with ToP)

* TOR: Threat of Peace (overlaps with Deceived)

* TOR: Fatal Alliance

* TOR: The Lost Suns (not entirely positive on this placement, to be honest, but from what I've read about the series, it seems to be set around the same time as the game)

For recommendations outside of the period known as The Old Republic Era, see this thread, in which I have a post that links to several threads asking for EU recommendations.

Edited by psychogobstopper