Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Kira Carsen - Companion story bug?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Knight
Kira Carsen - Companion story bug?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

BrunoLogan
01.06.2012 , 11:53 AM | #1561
Quote: Originally Posted by Lomerell View Post
It isn't hard to fix. It's patently false that gear is related to variables dictating companion behavior, and highly dubious that level does. You experience the game as a cohesive whole where everything interacts with you equally, but that's not how code is written.

Somewhere in the code for Kira, our DS response triggered a value which looped her into not having normal companion behavior. That switch needs to get unflipped.

The very worst-case scenario would be resetting the class questline to that point, but those values are unrelated to level and gear.
I was focusing my opinion on the degree of relationship between the main story line and the side story related to Kira and to find a way to not mess things up and make both stories (main and Kira's) flow together as intended. Ofc I don't know how the game code was written and what are it's limitations or how tight it's tied to the story line. If you got your level rolled back, you wouldn't be able to use the higher level gear, this if, and only if, the level rollback was really needed to fix this issue which I believe it's not. As much as I like technical stuff (I'm a software developer myself though I have zero experience on how a game is made, unfortunately) I was not trying to turn this thread into a technical discussion.

jamisonmack
01.06.2012 , 12:13 PM | #1562
Does any one know if re-installing the client will fix this? Is it a client or server related problem?

Idunhavaname
01.06.2012 , 12:18 PM | #1563
Quote: Originally Posted by jamisonmack View Post
Does any one know if re-installing the client will fix this? Is it a client or server related problem?
No. Anything we do on our characters is saved on their computers, not ours.

RIP orange pixel

jamisonmack
01.06.2012 , 12:22 PM | #1564
Thank you for the quick reply...Here's hoping that they fix it soon!

BloodknightVII
01.06.2012 , 12:47 PM | #1565
I can only recommend that everyone here opens in-game tickets detailing this situation.

Yes, they already know about the issue, and yes you will only get an automated response. However, the more complaints coming in directly to the customer service regarding this precise issue, the better.
Squadron 11-11-11 | The Last Squadron

SYN_Clockwork
01.06.2012 , 01:12 PM | #1566
So why can't Bioware just have an employee move people's story quest back to "The Defector" mission? In beta people had to have their class quest moved forward/backward all the time due to bugs, so why can't they just give people the option to do this?

EJedi
01.06.2012 , 01:36 PM | #1567
Quote: Originally Posted by SYN_Clockwork View Post
So why can't Bioware just have an employee move people's story quest back to "The Defector" mission? In beta people had to have their class quest moved forward/backward all the time due to bugs, so why can't they just give people the option to do this?
1) There were far less people in beta
2) This bug is not trivial to deal with

As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

If you're driving down the highway, making a wrong turn is much easier to prevent than to recover from.

Rather than just sit around, waiting, I made a new JK. I leveled up all the way through The Defector quest, doing everything exactly how I had done on my original JK. This time, however, the conversation after Tython was very different. The conversations we all had on our original JKs, after speaking with the council, do not even fit in with what happens now.

For a person who has stopped during chapter 1, fixing their character would be much different from fixing one that has completed chapter 3. What exactly do you do? I suppose you could reset all of the class storyline quests to just before The Defector, but is that desirable? What about players who never used Kira except when they had to? What about female characters?

I'm going to keep playing my new JK to see if anything goes differently through where I stopped with my original one. If not, then I'll feel more confident in a potential fix.

This is just a really bad situation to recover from.
If you pick up a novel, and see pages 2-899 only as obstacles between pages 1 and 900, then it may just be that you don't like reading.

Lomerell
01.06.2012 , 01:47 PM | #1568
Quote: Originally Posted by BloodknightVII View Post
I can only recommend that everyone here opens in-game tickets detailing this situation.

Yes, they already know about the issue, and yes you will only get an automated response. However, the more complaints coming in directly to the customer service regarding this precise issue, the better.
I'd have to agree with this. Squeaky wheel gets the oil, and since this is fixed for new players, it's entirely possible that we'll eventually be in the minority. I have guildy knights who are laissez-faire about this because they simply didn't pick the wrong option.

We need to be vocal -- respectfully -- that we'd REALLY like this problem fixed, and it's a priority in our play.
"There arises from a bad and unapt formation of words a wonderful obstruction of the mind." --Sir Francis Bacon
"y do u care how i rite or spell?" --Average gamer.
"F****** grammer nazi's!" --Actual player, 1/12/12

BloodknightVII
01.06.2012 , 01:48 PM | #1569
I just brought this issue to light on the central General Discussion Forum, with the hope it will reach a wider audience and an official word from the Devs. I have, of course, referenced the magnitude of this thread and have also provided a link back to it.

This 157 page thread has currently achieved no official response, so let's hope the same thing in the General Discussion board will yield better results.

Here it is: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...09#post1265209
Squadron 11-11-11 | The Last Squadron

lexaconn
01.06.2012 , 01:55 PM | #1570
Quote: Originally Posted by Lomerell View Post
We need to be vocal -- respectfully -- that we'd REALLY like this problem fixed, and it's a priority in our play.
I've come to agree with this, and will post a bug report in game now. I haven't done anything but crew skills in many days, waiting for a fix before I progress. But I'm starting to lose patience. I know from other games that my first character is always my most cherished, so this will become a major issue for me if it's not fixed at all.