Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hardmode Flashpoints; No loot variance for premade groups

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Hardmode Flashpoints; No loot variance for premade groups

Mossesman
01.23.2012 , 02:17 PM | #11
Having the same problem, im a DPS commando who runs with a Guardian tank, Sage healer and gunslinger DPS. Weve done the new flashpoints KuS 5 times now. Weve had 4 Jedi Knight helmets, 3 Smuggler and 3 JC...and no Trooper loot.

Infact, done about 20+ flashpoints now and ive only had 2 pieces
Eathos - Commando | Norzrik - Guardian
Kezron - Scoundrel | Ashinelle - Shadow

DaveMcG
01.23.2012 , 02:29 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Mossesman View Post
Having the same problem, im a DPS commando who runs with a Guardian tank, Sage healer and gunslinger DPS. Weve done the new flashpoints KuS 5 times now. Weve had 4 Jedi Knight helmets, 3 Smuggler and 3 JC...and no Trooper loot.

Infact, done about 20+ flashpoints now and ive only had 2 pieces
We saw the exact same hat from the bonus every time, and the same hat from the last boss.. Knight from bonus, consular from last boss every time.

Looks like you at least broke that streak.

Novastinger
01.23.2012 , 03:20 PM | #13
I'm seeing the same problems as the OP, we run a group of:

Jedi Knight Guardian - Tank
Jedi Knight Sentinel - DPS
Jedi Consular Sage - DPS
Smuggler Scoundrel - Heals

It seems basically guaranteed that this class makeup will drop a trooper chestpiece in False Emperor HM. It's long been a 'hunch' of mine that the randomness is not really random (but rather seeded via group makeup), but at this point I feel it's a reality, and not just a string of occurances that appears like coincidence.

Zidaen
01.23.2012 , 03:23 PM | #14
jugg tank, sorc healer, *** dps, op dps

Bountyhunter loot drops almost every boss. We'll get 2 usable drops and the rest have aim stats. We stopped running HM Flashpoints. 8man normal Ops are easier and drop better stuff.

Mavery
01.23.2012 , 03:40 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by DaveMcG View Post
11 out of 13 runs is not just unlucky.. It's ridiculously unlucky. If the system is using something static to set the seed, or we are somehow getting the same "random" seed, it's not going to be random loot.

It's not just false emp... If we use the same 4 guys, we seems to get nearly identical loot from most bosses. We're talking 2-3 hard modes a day.

It's pretty easy to say RNG is RNG when you don't do the math. We're talking a 1 in hundreds of thousands of chance to see 11 out of 13 be the same. Hell, we might be into the millions by now.
Someone doesn't understand how random works.

DaveMcG
01.23.2012 , 03:41 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Mavery View Post
Someone doesn't understand how random works.
Someone doesn't understand how probability works.

Go ahead and tell me we have a 25% chance to see a particular drop every time and that 11 out of 13 being the same is perfectly expected.

Yes, it is POSSIBLE, it is just EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY unlikely to not see variance, even over a small sample.

It's like flipping a coin 20 times and getting heads 19 of those times. Yes, it might happen but it's more likely you'll celebrate a birthday while trying to get it to happen in practice.

Mavery
01.23.2012 , 03:44 PM | #17
I do, actually.

I'll give you that 11 out of 13 drops being one token isn't probable but it also isn't unlikely in the context of a random generator. You only have a case where you can prove it is mathematically impossible to yield 11 out of 13 being one drop.

Novastinger
01.23.2012 , 03:51 PM | #18
Someone doesn't understand how software RNGs work. There's nothing actually RANDOM about it, but rather a man-made list of numbers, that is then seeded by something (in many cases the current number of milliseconds on the server clock), and then it does a modulus division by the range (divides by upper limit, and takes the remainder).

How Bioware is doing the RNG seeding is what we are questioning, but many people seem to think it has something to do with the classes in group creation.

DaveMcG
01.23.2012 , 03:56 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Mavery View Post
I do, actually.

I'll give you that 11 out of 13 drops being one token isn't probable but it also isn't unlikely in the context of a random generator. You only have a case where you can prove it is mathematically impossible to yield 11 out of 13 being one drop.
Agreed. But when we can predict the loot that each boss is going to drop based on the people we bring, something is wrong.

When changing out 2 people in our group is the only way to get different loot, something is wrong.

If you look though this and the other thread on the first page, it's obvious that groups that are always the same makeup tend to see the same drops an abnormal amount of time.

DaveMcG
01.23.2012 , 04:00 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Novastinger View Post
Someone doesn't understand how software RNGs work. There's nothing actually RANDOM about it, but rather a man-made list of numbers, that is then seeded by something (in many cases the current number of milliseconds on the server clock), and then it does a modulus division by the range (divides by upper limit, and takes the remainder).

How Bioware is doing the RNG seeding is what we are questioning, but many people seem to think it has something to do with the classes in group creation.
Yes, that is what I am getting at, something seems out of whack in whatever is seeding the random.

I don't think it has anything to do with the classes per say.. Just that our standard group of players is seeing very predictable loot. Like they are assigning a number to each letter in the alphabet, adding up all the letters in the names of the characters or something that can be made static by running with the same crew.