Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware: Crafting Materials Should Not Be BoP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Bioware: Crafting Materials Should Not Be BoP

Plicitous
01.23.2012 , 11:43 AM | #1
After maxing out my Artifice skill I was excited about the opportunity to craft some really nice looking endgame gear. Unfortunately, I soon realized that the primary crafting material needed to make those items -- Biometric Crystal Alloy -- was inexplicably Bind On Pickup.

I'm new to MMORPGs so maybe this is standard operating procedure for such items, but if so, I'm having a difficult time understanding why. Isn't it enough that the item in question only drops from Hardmode FP bosses? Removing such a valuable commodity from the marketplace is an unnecessary restraint on in-game commerce Resource scarcity is already an issue for any crafter interested in producing reverse engineered endgame items.

Making a key material BoP hurts everyone by taking what would otherwise be a very lucrative resource out of circulation. It hurts the crafter. It hurts those that would like to profit from looting the resource.

Why?

Diopter
01.23.2012 , 11:45 AM | #2
I agree 100%.

FalmeseReb
01.23.2012 , 11:46 AM | #3
I think it'd be great if biometrics weren't BoP, would give a reason to run HMs after you get all your gear.

Balth_azare
01.23.2012 , 12:27 PM | #4
Sadly, almost all the stuff an Artificer can craft with the Biometrics is BoP...

And I had the mainhand lightsaber drop in Battle for Ilum FP the other day; so it was a waste of credits to buy the schematic...

But honestly, why should we be able to *easily* obtain these materials? Credits are not hard to come by, and people underprice pretty much everything short of Magenta crystals, so there is not a really go basis for how much they should cost anyways.

I could see them being bind-to-account, so you could in effect farm them for all your toons with one character. But they don't need to be auctionable...They truly don't.

Marlaine
01.23.2012 , 12:28 PM | #5
It is par for the course for themepark / raiding mmos, and yes it is retarded. Bind on pickup in general is horrible but I will spare people my rant on bop.

GnatB
01.23.2012 , 12:42 PM | #6
To be honest, as a crafter, I'm relatively ok with crafting materials being BoP...

As long as they implement some means by which somebody who doesn't have the skill, but has the BoP item, can hire a crafter to make said item for them.

'Course, that requires making some new interface to contract-a-craft, which is almost certainly harder than simply removing the BoP on something.

'Course, it's pretty odd, but there is a way to view somebodies schematics. (IIRC under additional options when you have somebody selected). Don't really see the point of that unless they intend for you to be able to hire them to make something for you at some point.

pokota
01.23.2012 , 12:56 PM | #7
Completely agree.

I mean, seriously, someone who plays this game for PVP has to farm instances just to make grenades for use in PVP?

BioWare's line about how official guild crafters won't necessarily be the best crafters on a server was pretty much a straight-out lie.

Plicitous
01.23.2012 , 12:58 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Balth_azare View Post
But honestly, why should we be able to *easily* obtain these materials?
I wouldn't call an item that can only be found in Hardmode Flashpoints easily obtained. Scarcity is a delicate thing -- too little and you quickly satiate demand, too much and you frustrate the hell out of your customers.

Walking-Carpet
01.23.2012 , 02:20 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Plicitous View Post
After maxing out my Artifice skill I was excited about the opportunity to craft some really nice looking endgame gear. Unfortunately, I soon realized that the primary crafting material needed to make those items -- Biometric Crystal Alloy -- was inexplicably Bind On Pickup.

I'm new to MMORPGs so maybe this is standard operating procedure for such items, but if so, I'm having a difficult time understanding why. Isn't it enough that the item in question only drops from Hardmode FP bosses? Removing such a valuable commodity from the marketplace is an unnecessary restraint on in-game commerce Resource scarcity is already an issue for any crafter interested in producing reverse engineered endgame items.

Making a key material BoP hurts everyone by taking what would otherwise be a very lucrative resource out of circulation. It hurts the crafter. It hurts those that would like to profit from looting the resource.

Why?
I agree 100%.

If Biometric Crystal Alloys were BoE instead of BoP (a/k/a BoA), the number of them in existence would still be limited, so it wouldn't be like everybody would be running around with raid gear. The only difference would be that some raiders might choose to sell their Biometric Crystal Alloys instead of using them.

Why shouldn't they be able to do that? And why shouldn't non-raiders be able to buy them, assuming the non-raiders are willing to pay the raiders' (probably astronomical) prices for these items?

rocdogg
01.23.2012 , 03:33 PM | #10
BoP crafting items in WoW went BoE once the next higher tier of content was introduced. That way the people who didn't do cutting edge group content had access to last season's best crafted gear. I think that works out okay for everyone. A month after release we're still all on the first rung of the ladder.