Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

*SPOILERS*Why was Revan and so much in kotor retconned

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
*SPOILERS*Why was Revan and so much in kotor retconned

Supersomething
01.23.2012 , 12:11 PM | #21
Never saw a corpse so I don't believe he is dead. Also he did that whole light flashy thing in the book when he fought the Emperor.
Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

The_strategos
01.23.2012 , 12:23 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthMoord View Post
Or he was never as strong as his fans wanted him to be as their personal Mary Sue.
He was everyone's mary sue when you play KoToR. Its the basic idea of being a self insert character.
Ia Ia Ftagn

DarthMoord
01.23.2012 , 01:04 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by The_strategos View Post
He was everyone's mary sue when you play KoToR. Its the basic idea of being a self insert character.
Self-Insert/=Mary Sue. A Mary Sue is a self-idealized character without perceptible or major flaws. A self-insert is merely a character that speaks from the authors perspective. So whilst a Mary Sue is always a self-insert, a self aware author can make a self-insert that is not a Mary Sue by virtue of being aware of his flaws and why they're flaws. Revan as a character has flaws: When he was falling to the Dark Side and when he was Sith he showed blatant disregard for the life of others with his tactics in the Mandalorian Wars which amounted to 'overrun superior Mandalorian troops with masses of expendable Republic ones' and extremely covetous of power; as a Jedi he showed extreme lack of foresight (attempting to take on the Sith Empire without his friends) and naivety (trusting Scourge). The Fanboys disavow these flaws all-together, this is why for some he's a Mary Sue and for other simply a character.
See the sniper on the hill.
Rifle's loaded, he's ready to kill.
Kill the enemy, steal his soul.
So early. So early. So early in the morning.

JediArchives
01.23.2012 , 01:15 PM | #24
Um, I think Revan's power comes from, you know, beating Malak when he was amplified and made almost invincible by the Star Forge?

Heh, always amazed how that is never mentioned and people go " only claim to fame is he beat mandos and had good tactics". He was the strongest force user of his time... some people take their hatred of the fictional character Revan a tad bit too far... just don't get it.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
- T Paine

DarthMoord
01.23.2012 , 01:23 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by JediArchives View Post
Um, I think Revan's power comes from, you know, beating Malak when he was amplified and made almost invincible by the Star Forge?
The Star Forge wasn't a force power amplification system, the Star Forge fed on the Force. And Malak wasn't powered by the Star Forge, he was just draining the life from the Jedi prisoners he had. Hell the easiest way to beat Malak was to kill his force-batteries first and then kill him.

Quote:
He was the strongest force user of his time...
That's a lie. Nihilus, Sion, Vitiate, all have far greater showings than Revan. What can Revan do that compared to Sion's ability to live beyond death? What can Revan do to compare to Nihilus' ability to purge planets of life? At only ten Vitiate stripped a Sith Lord of his mind and powers with casual ease. Revan has done nothing to compare to these capabilities. Revan was powerful, but you fanboys really need to stop attributing things to him that did not occur.

BrianDavion
01.23.2012 , 01:24 PM | #26
Reven was proably the most powerful jedi of his age problem is this isn't Reven's age anymore. and I don't see any reason why certin individuals being more powerful (includeing the characters played by the PCs) is any great injustice.

DarthMoord
01.23.2012 , 01:29 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
Reven was proably the most powerful jedi of his age problem is this isn't Reven's age anymore. and I don't see any reason why certin individuals being more powerful (includeing the characters played by the PCs) is any great injustice.
I thought about that argument, but dismissed it. By making it you're conceding that Revan is more powerful than quite a number of Sith who frankly have vastly greater showings of power than he does.

Venturi
01.23.2012 , 02:41 PM | #28
THE FOLLOWING REPLY CONTAINS SEVERAL SPOILERS

None of it was retconned this was Lucasarts plan from the beginning about the true sith being out in the unknown regions and about Revan having found them before and going back out there to find them. This was author Drew Karpyshn's idea in fact.

They also did not trivialize the Exile, she went with Revan to fight the Emperor, she was killed by Lord Scourge as they were facing off with him and now her Force Ghost has been keeping Revan alive for 300 years as he fought the Emperors mind probing. Thats not trivializing thats giving her a heroic purpose.

Also I do not believe Revan is fully dead or that we've heard the last of him from Foundry. His health wasn't all the way down when he disappeared for one thing. And he even mentioned being able to rebuild HK-47. We'll see him again I am sure of it.

Wolfninjajedi
01.23.2012 , 02:50 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Venturi View Post
THE FOLLOWING REPLY CONTAINS SEVERAL SPOILERS

None of it was retconned this was Lucasarts plan from the beginning about the true sith being out in the unknown regions and about Revan having found them before and going back out there to find them. This was author Drew Karpyshn's idea in fact.

They also did not trivialize the Exile, she went with Revan to fight the Emperor, she was killed by Lord Scourge as they were facing off with him and now her Force Ghost has been keeping Revan alive for 300 years as he fought the Emperors mind probing. Thats not trivializing thats giving her a heroic purpose.

Also I do not believe Revan is fully dead or that we've heard the last of him from Foundry. His health wasn't all the way down when he disappeared for one thing. And he even mentioned being able to rebuild HK-47. We'll see him again I am sure of it.
You missed the part where he evaporated in an explosion of light, not saying he couldn't be alive but characters that disappear in a flash of light usually isn't good.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Venturi
01.23.2012 , 02:52 PM | #30
There was a difference to his flash of light then others. As it had a purple hue, most of the ones that mark death usually have a blue-ish hue to them. I am thinking he has figured out a way to take himself apart in the Force and rebuld himself elsewhere.