Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

*SPOILERS*Why was Revan and so much in kotor retconned

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
*SPOILERS*Why was Revan and so much in kotor retconned

Lord_Rezo
01.23.2012 , 08:21 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Ignotis View Post
It's still absurd. It would be the equivalent of 3-4 level 30's in WoW being able to kill Thrall.
If Thrall was 300 years being lifedrained by somekind of demigod like (for example) what Dragonmaw orcs did to Alextrasza then you would understand "why something lesser is able to beat something stronger".

Not always the strong wins, i though you would know it seeing football xD.
Peace is a lie. There is only passion.

Quote: Originally Posted by Goalan
The world is what you make of it. If you break down real life it can be just a grind too. Or you could go through life and enjoy the journey, and beauty of it all.

Norumaniac
01.23.2012 , 09:30 AM | #12
He will be back.

This was merely a set back...

Votum
01.23.2012 , 09:35 AM | #13
How did Luke become the most powerful Jedi ever after a few years?

The force is weird, and you are the new king per your story

Darth_YaMama
01.23.2012 , 09:44 AM | #14
He's not dead until I see a corpse, man...
or at least his hp touching 0%

Hyperionthethird
01.23.2012 , 09:51 AM | #15
Can't say what it's like for the other classes but by level 30 on my jedi knight I was being declared the greatest warrior in the whole jedi order.

Lexandar
01.23.2012 , 10:15 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by YeesBox View Post
Research and continuity are hardly BioWares strong sides.

Take Valley of the Dark Lords.

Tales of the Jedi in 1994 showed the valley and the tomb of Marka Ragnos.
Jedi Academy in 2003 by Raven Software clearly used Tales as the source for their design.
Kotor in 2003, BioWare does their own take on the Valley.
Kotor: TSL in 2005, Obsidian uses BioWare's Valley for the sequel.
TOR in 2011, BioWare reshapes Valley of the Dark Lords again.
Mostly because what they retconned was

- Mandalorians being a generic bipedal race
- Eradicating these:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/SunGem
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Corus..._Heavy_Courier

- Turning:

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/ima..._war_droid.JPG

into

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm0jjLRh730

In fact the only bad retcon they've done was getting rid of the Tower of Hanoi from Naga Sadow's tomb.

Aurbere
01.23.2012 , 10:21 AM | #17
Well I'm not a big fan of the revan novel. They made Revan look like a chump, killed off the exile and my favorite little droid T3-M4. I only used T3 in both KOTOR alongside Revan/Exile. But they did kinda ruin revan for me in both TOR and the revan novel. Oh well.

DesAnvos
01.23.2012 , 11:10 AM | #18
I think the simpliest reason for why Revan was retconed is due to the fact Revan at his strongest kinda makes a continuity error that would have made it hard for the future leading to the movies to exist.

DarthMoord
01.23.2012 , 12:01 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Ignotis View Post
A handful of mid level characters can kill ONE OF THE STRONGEST FORCE USERS IN THE GAME WHO MASTERED BOTH SIDES OF THE FORCE, DESTROYED THE MANDALORIANS AND DEFEATED THE SITH.
There's nothing to suggest that Revan or Malak were exceptionally powerful in the Force. Revan's only claims to fame are being the strategic "genius" that realized the Republic could bleed the Mandalorians white through a war of attrition and being exceptionally wise in his endeavors to retain resources or assets as far as Sith go.

[uote]And apparently following the events of kotor Revan was simply made the emperors chump, AGAIN?[/quote] Yes, because Revan was never all that powerful to begin with. Only the fans who invested their personal identity in him as their avatar in the Star Wars mythos had any illusion to that.

Quote:
Seriously, does nobody find a problem with this terrible and obviously agenda filled writing to retcon everything kotor 2 and Revan?
They didn't retcon Revan. They just showed him in a proper light. In fact I give kudos to Bioware and Karpshyn for making the Revan fanboys QQ as the character doesn't live up to their hyperbolic power fantasies.
See the sniper on the hill.
Rifle's loaded, he's ready to kill.
Kill the enemy, steal his soul.
So early. So early. So early in the morning.

DarthMoord
01.23.2012 , 12:03 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by DesAnvos View Post
I think the simpliest reason for why Revan was retconed is due to the fact Revan at his strongest kinda makes a continuity error that would have made it hard for the future leading to the movies to exist.
Or he was never as strong as his fans wanted him to be as their personal Mary Sue.
See the sniper on the hill.
Rifle's loaded, he's ready to kill.
Kill the enemy, steal his soul.
So early. So early. So early in the morning.