Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Emperor's Wrath vs. Darth Nox (spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Emperor's Wrath vs. Darth Nox (spoilers)

Killian_Jedi
01.27.2012 , 12:55 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkestDaemon View Post

It isn't established that the method used by the Emperor to grant his servant immortality will allow them to die with the removal of their head. Nor is it established that the spirits which fill Nox grant a similar limited immortality.

For all we know, neither of them can be killed without a ritual that subverts the immortality granted to them. Which means a lightsaber blade connects with their neck... and then does nothing.

So until the limitations of the immortality is established, it would make a bit more sense to go with the idea of them being completely immortal. No way of dying.
Come now, let's not be silly. Just because the Emperor hasn't said how one must die doesn't mean they can't die by being hit by a runaway speeder, or in the case of our current debate, have their head removed. The Previous poster says it best, Immortality is not invincibility and I think you're confusing the two. The Immortal might not ever age, but the vessel of the immortal being is still susceptible to damage. I'll entertain your question though considering it is an intriguing one.

The Emperor may have a bitter taste in his mouth after Scourge's defection? I dunno, that's really just speculation on my part.

All that being said, I don't think either Nox or Wrath are immortal at all. Nox got the equivalent of a cats 9 lives essentially, and Wrath is just too ****** to die at this point. Might Wrath be granted Scourge's immortality at some point? Maybe.
The suspense is terrible, I hope it'll last.

Zania
01.27.2012 , 01:11 PM | #62
Well, the way the story goes, Emperor really didnt give a crap about the empire at that point. He started the war as diversion to perform his mass murdering ritual.

However since he neglected empire for so long, Baras (and not only) decided that they can have some fun. Baras locks the Voice on Voss, claims to be one, etc etc. I'd guess Emperor wouldn't care all the much normally, except he is also hit by defection of Scourge. So now he has a pretender trying to steal the empire (not that Emperor cares about it, but he needs it to complete the ritual) ad no way to deal with it. In a hurry to deal with the threat of Baras SW is tapped as new Wrath. Getting rid of Baras is great except he let his sights off Scourge and JK who quietly sneak up and stab him (or his True Voice, depending on how truthful Hand is) in the face.

Let me be clear, I doubt SW was ever meant as anything other than a tool for one job. Emperors plan was to consume the galaxy shortly after getting rid of Baras, but it doesn't happen. Now he is either dead or disabled and Wrath is under control of the Hand. We don't know if at this point Hand One is even telling you the truth or just decided to become an Emperor himself by relaying orders he makes up themselves.

In either scenario, probability of Emperor investing time and effort into making SW immortal seems far fetched. His plans were/are close enough to completions that he no longer needs and immortal Wrath.

Rhyltran
01.27.2012 , 01:17 PM | #63
The reason I say it's best to assume the greatest level of immortality is, to put it quite simply, why would the Emperor need a Wrath who can die by any hand other than his own?
Why would the Emperor have someone who's immortality exceeds or surpasses his own? It doesn't make much sense. Assuming the best never makes sense. You take the evidence of what you know. We know Scourge can potentially live forever. That's all we really have to go by.

As the saying goes. If you hear hoofbeats look for horses. Not Zebra.

Jellison
01.27.2012 , 01:24 PM | #64
"Orbital fleet in position. Awaiting orders." "Fire."

The Imperial fleet fires.

The entire moon is decimated, turned into a hunk of glass, scorched earth and craters...

"Sir, detecting a life-form." "Just one, ensign?"

The captain rubs his grizzled chin.

"It's...Uhm...He didn't die when we boiled the planet..."

The Captain takes out a blaster pistol, putting it to hit head and screaming

"FFFFFUUUUUUU!!!!"
Flagging and getting flagged, all day every day.

DarkestDaemon
01.27.2012 , 01:26 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhyltran View Post
Why would the Emperor have someone who's immortality exceeds or surpasses his own? It doesn't make much sense. Assuming the best never makes sense. You take the evidence of what you know. We know Scourge can potentially live forever. That's all we really have to go by.

As the saying goes. If you hear hoofbeats look for horses. Not Zebra.
Read again, I said anyone -but his own hand-.

The Emperor is already at the stage he can't be killed, he's technically nothing more than a ghost. He's just at the stage he needs to kill all life in the galaxy, except for one body which needs to survive so he can take it over.
"The Force will set me free!"
Darth Tybek Maar, Wraith of Taris
Wraith (The Story of Tybek) - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=246582

Rhyltran
01.27.2012 , 01:30 PM | #66
Read again, I said anyone -but his own hand-.

The Emperor is already at the stage he can't be killed, he's technically nothing more than a ghost. He's just at the stage he needs to kill all life in the galaxy, except for one body which needs to survive so he can take it over.
That's untrue. It's hinted at multiple times that his main body is hidden somewhere while he merely fills in and controls other bodies. If this is the case. Real body dies. He dies. Which makes sense. The Emperor does eventually expire.

DarkestDaemon
01.27.2012 , 01:36 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhyltran View Post
That's untrue. It's hinted at multiple times that his main body is hidden somewhere while he merely fills in and controls other bodies. If this is the case. Real body dies. He dies. Which makes sense. The Emperor does eventually expire.
But he's looking for a new body to control to use after he kills everything else in the galaxy. Seems to me that he needs a new body period.
"The Force will set me free!"
Darth Tybek Maar, Wraith of Taris
Wraith (The Story of Tybek) - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=246582

Rhyltran
01.27.2012 , 01:41 PM | #68
But he's looking for a new body to control to use after he kills everything else in the galaxy. Seems to me that he needs a new body period.
We also don't know how good his immortality is. Perhaps after 1400 years his body is now inept. It exists. It won't die but it could be practically useless. His spirit may be tethered onto it and able to wander but if the tether dies. He dies. This is speculation of course but that's what you're doing as well. Speculating. There's no facts. We can assume anything we like but until we have some hard facts to back them. It doesn't matter. We do know one fact though. The Emperor isn't invincible. He's dead by Bane's time frame.

Ranadiel_Marius
01.28.2012 , 07:52 AM | #69
O_o Where is it said he is looking for a new body to control post destroying the galaxy? I know it isn't in either the JK or SW story.

B-Ballplayer
02.29.2012 , 06:10 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by Fraevar View Post
Darth Nox, because she can't die. Thanaton tried his hardest on Dromund Kaas. A Darth Nox who still has the ghosts after the endgame can't be killed. This is defined by the story itself. And given that the only person who could teach the rituals of Ergast is Ergast himself (who's trapped in Nox) and with the rituals of Tulak Hord being in Khem-Zash, it's doubtful the Wrath would have any idea about how to get rid of said ghosts.

Plus, unlike Lord Drahg, I don't see Darth Nox boasting about her power, she'd simply get up again or reappear later as was the case at the beginning of Act 2 of the Inquisitor storyline. So it is questionable who would even know about what's going on with her.

The new Wrath's main abilities are their martial skills and aptitude for manipulating the passions of others (like with Jaesa), though it is hard to put this into any practical framework for comparison since Darth Nox also has plenty of opportunities to be manipulative. Player agency is a factor here, I'd say.

That being said, I find the whole concept of this fight interesting, though unnecessary. In terms of the story we know the new Emperor's Wrath is in fact not made aware of the Emperor's true plans...will be interesting to see what BioWare does with the story there. If the Wrath knew the Emperor's plan, they should also know that Nox would be one of the few Sith with enough knowledge of the ancient rituals, and the power to help do something about it.
^This.
Spoiler
It would be an awesome fight. But Now would win.