Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] How To Be Healed

Ryiaala
02.16.2012 , 05:07 PM | #91
Wonderful post! Healer has been my main class for the last 6+ years I've played MMO's, and if everyone who didn't play a healer read this post, we would all be better off.

My two cents worth:

1) Don't yell at the healer if you die; and
2) Be nice to your healer.

If I'm in a party and keep getting yelled at, I most likely won't drop (I'm pretty stubborn and don't like to leave parties in the lurch), but I WILL remember the toons that yelled at me and certainly the toons that are nice to me.

Most healers are pretty good, and I'm sure we all do our best. Yelling will NOT help you (even if I don't intentionally put you at the bottom of my priority list, you might just end up there anyway) and being nice will help. Trust me.

--- Ryiaala

wairuakaha
02.17.2012 , 03:52 AM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by Elradrielas View Post
Don't simply assume this is the case. A good tank will mark a kill order using the target symbols ... Make sure you know the order and follow it. Often tanks need to switch target to build aggro across a couple of baddies, and simply following who they're targeting will lead to confusion.

Discuss the kill order as a group and follow it == win.
Fantastic OP!! +1 and more!!! Thanks for breaking it down so well.

Im a DPS and Im happy to be one at the moment and I cant say I disagree with the comments that have been made so far. Im also a newbie to the world of MMO - SWTOR being my first foray into this crazy world (lovin it like a sweet drug). As a DPS I see my role as being adaptable - In the Heroics that I have done (i dont do all of them because often its a real pain just trying to rally a group together) ... Ive made it a point to (1) specifically initiate discussion with Tank to mark targets with symbols and identify which will be CCd, which I will happily do; (2) then focus fire from afar on whichever mob the tank is going apesht on; (3) throw shields on Tank, Healer and any other DPS in the group, (4) support heal the tank; and (5) go mental on any mob that comes within hitting range of the healer. Ive more or less followed this and we hit success and score objectives in record time.

As a DPS I dont have a fix role, except to ebb and flow according to how the battle plays out - staying at a distance and using range attacks allows me to adapt easily as circumstances rapidly turn.

Makes life a whole lot easier when there is a brief discussion before any notable battle, marking targets with symbols, allocating roles and sticking with it unless circumstances force you to adapt on the fly.

wairuakaha
02.17.2012 , 04:12 AM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by xKiesix View Post
This is mostly written from my perspective. As a healer, so long as I have good Tank or DPS, my needs do come last--simply because nothing is targeting me. Obviously if we start dying, that changes, but as it is, I can usually throw a HoT and a shield over me and I'm good. Meanwhile, if the tank or DPS are taking some nasty damage, I'm going to do everything to keep them alive and sort of keep my HP in the back of my mind but not worry about it too much.

Also, in a case of a boss or enemy with little health--I will do all I can to keep the dps and tank alive long enough to finish him off. If that means I die, whatever. We have revive. I personally feel if the healer is alive and everyone else is dead, he did his job poorly. However, if everyone is alive except the healer, that guy fought tooth and nail to keep his teammates up.
wow!!! i'll say it again: wow!!!

there's so much to love this for!!

you rock!!

LiveWireMan
04.09.2012 , 05:39 PM | #94
As an MMO veteran, and MUD player before that, I can say, without a doubt, every SINGLE POINT here is a "oh hell yea" *facepalm* kinda stuff that can mean the difference between a great run, and a "aww ****, we wiped again?" run..

I've played Dark Age of Camelot, EQ1 and 2, Rift, WoW, LOTRO, STO, Aion..

I've played healers, DPS, tanks.. I prefer to tank, but sometimes I heal..

One thing I would add is: As a tank, it is VERY important to know what type of healer will be healing you, and modify your playstyle accordingly.

If your healer is a HOT-heavy healer, then you will probably notice your healthbar never really drops past 50%, and if it does it might be time to use your Oh**** ability (every tank has one..), but if it's a Direct heals type of healer, then dropping to 50% may just be par for the course, as the heals hit for larger, but not as often.

Usually after the first couple of trash pulls, you should be able to tell what type of heals you'll be getting..... Makes it easier when you can synch with your healer..

Kaesoron
04.09.2012 , 06:44 PM | #95
Great post, I just started healing today. Its been a long time since I healed in an MMO, forgot how hard it was.

Note to self; Stop screaming at the monitor Hehe.

k.
Walk Tall and Shake the Heavens
Beware.. I edit my posts a lot :P

Kautious
04.09.2012 , 07:04 PM | #96
+1

great post, don't know if anyone has mentioned this b4.

As I've played a healer, a dps, and a tank, I'd like to add that dps should always kill weak mobs first, all classes have the abilities to stun the weak mobs for secs (often an aoe skill with low cd) often times it's not worth the effort for tanks to grab them since they die so fast, but if no one touches them, they'd rip the healer apart.

So, I'd say, for dps players, your priority is weak > strong > elite. Plz follow this and your tank/healer will love you, especially healer!

Oh another thing, smart dps will use his/her knockback abilities to knock the mobs closer to each other for tank, not the other way around.

my 2 cent