Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Should there have been a SWG 2?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Should there have been a SWG 2?

nite_shade
01.23.2012 , 10:17 AM | #21
Of course TOR is going to be better in a lot of ways than SWG, SWG is ancient. But, i'd sooner have SWG back than a boring linear game like SWTOR, anytime of the month! Everywhere I went, it was devoid of life, everything was static. If you're going to have something that is centrally story driven, then by default it will be linear.. side quests are a bonus... oh! Like Skyrim (Elder scrolls)... Fable....

For an 'MMO' I think BW should have had a look around the market place at what MMOs are like, before developing this.

It's as though BW started working on KOTOR3 Single player and some bright spark must have said 'Wouldn't it be good if it had some online content!?' and someone said 'Yeah! gosh darn it! Let's make it 'LIKE' an MMO!! Yeeeeeee HAAAAAAA!!'

In fareness, I like the game, but not as an MMO.. Not on your life!

nite_shade
01.23.2012 , 10:19 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Salacar View Post
SWG was a social MMO through and through, if you could get into a good guild with nice people it was an awesome game.
Creating your own cities, establishing a society, furnishing your house and making a piece of a planet your very own. There was nothing just quite like it.
Being a Jedi was speciel, people had real respect for the handful or so Jedi Masters on each server, you were always wary around Bounty Hunters and planets were immense and interesting to explore, creating camp sites and just chatting with your friends in the wild.

Everything could be crafted, you'd need to create your own machines to gather the resources, then survey the best area to place them, I've even seen entire communites built up around especially resource rich areas, giving a feel of colonization that no other game has ever been able to match thus far.
You could create everything, even your own starships, and space combat was multiplayer and awesome, you could even have people aboard your ship if it had room for it, having people man the guns and repairing internal damage in battle.

It might not have had great story or interesting combat, but really, what MMO other than TOR has EVER had a great story, and what MMO has ever had interesting combat?

It wasn't a perfect game, but it brought people together to have fun, and that I think, is what a MMO should be all about.
I shed a tear to this post, I miss SWG soooo much!! (pre NGE)

thbends
01.23.2012 , 10:20 AM | #23
SWG was great when it first launched. My friends and i loved it. The fact your could build your own home where you wanted and decorate it was amazing. I put mine on the side of a cliff on Tatt where no one else lived. Had a great view.

I had one person I bought my droids from. It was a blast putting in the order and checking to see if it was ready day to day.

It was a great game until the dreaded "update". Then it fell apart. I quit soon after the update.

SWTOR is the first MMO to bring me back. I'm loving it!

To all the Starsider server people... remember at launch the guy who would dance at the spaceport all the time? LOL

Amaste
01.23.2012 , 10:23 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
What I mean is where was all the talk of how SWG was so great and everything when it was still around, not talking about all the complaining.
Mostly confined to the actual game. Most of the complainer/nestalgic flashback voices were people who were burned by the cu or nge change overs, now those voices are mixed together with the die hards since the galaxies people were scattered to the wind. Today, it's a cluster **** of people with wild views about 'what galaxies was', looking down on other peoples experiences with disdain when 'what it was' depended on what combat style happened to be active (pre-cu, cu, base nge, nge-post auto aim, nge-post 35's etc etc.) during their playtime. Hah. xD
Alcoheälic, Leguim, Dück, Viothin, Amaste

Stop Resisting

nite_shade
01.23.2012 , 10:23 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by thbends View Post
SWTOR is the first MMO to bring me back. I'm loving it!
I think People need to really understand what an MMO is, an online game doesn't make it an MMO.. I play BF3 and the likes but it doesn't make it an MMO.

If my life was linear, I would be sooooo bored!!

jarjarloves
01.23.2012 , 11:00 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Nebbycat View Post
Think BW would have way more success if they made a SWG 2 instead of a Kotor 3 mmo?

Imagine a new SWG game but done right, with BW story elements and kotor features? And also there would be no NGE/CU mess.
no obviously not. Sandbox MMOs are niche market.

Noczod
01.23.2012 , 04:14 PM | #27
I never played SWG but from what I have read before the Combat change update to the game, I think it would have been a much better game. dont get me wrong I love SWTOR, however something about having to work to become a jedi by playing for months sounds awsome, being able to permenently kill someones jedi sound cool, jedi being super tough and hard to kill sounds awsome, being able to have a toon that doesnt do combat and is just a merchant sounds cool, open space combat. Being able to build a house or a town, this sounds cool. being able to place bountys on jedi.
From what I have heard from peolpe who have played it, is that it was amazing before it got a complete change from how it orignaly was, the main reason it was changed is it was to complicated for people to play since it wasnt just a hit the mouse button and watch game. I think this game would have been awsome and I wish I would have played it before it was changed. Things that I think the game prolly would have lacked since it was a sand box. Purpose I prefer SWTOR over any other MMO I have played because of the story line quests and the talking to NPCS. It just gives me the feeling that my toon means something in the world, vs game's like wow where I just felt like an avatar walking around getting quests not caring about what the quest was for just wanting to finish it and get the XP. Now with SWTOR i feel like I am part of the story as if it has meaning I really like this, and dont think that if you combined the two games I would get this feeling.

kufa
01.25.2012 , 04:32 PM | #28
SWTOR PVE (casual)

- Select 1 of 8 classes.
- Get a cookie cutter build.
- Do daily quests.
- Watch kill videos on youtube to learn tactics.
- Raidlog and play ~8-12 hours a week.

VS.

SWG PVE (pre-****)

- Level several classes on the same character. You can have 2.5 classes at any given time and you can reroll how much as you like.
- Make money of the played based economy to craft or purchase the best items in the game.
- Grind rancor nests for money.
- Chill in the cantina.
R2-D2 is the most underrated Star Wars character.
CE

Dreeb
01.26.2012 , 03:52 AM | #29
In my opinion you can't really compare the two games, since they are both so different.
I do wish we could combine some elements.

From SWTOR the Storyline, Graphics, Voices and PVP (Warzones/Quelines) with the Crafting, Skillbuild, Armor modification/colors, Playertowns, Unique weapons and Sandbox feeling from SWG.

Sounds like an instant win to me. I also realise that games have budgets and need to make profit... Sandbox gaming is not for everyone, some people like to be guided to the correct/ end path, instead of finding it yourself.
| Ztoke Victus - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary |

Technotica
01.26.2012 , 05:57 AM | #30
What we really need is SWTOR with a few huge open world planets with player housing and sandbox features added!