Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is the Purpose of Tionese Crystals?

GlowRage
01.22.2012 , 08:11 PM | #1
I've been trying to figure this out and can't really seem to come up with a good answer. Why do Tionese Crystals exist? At first I thought it was to limit your buying power of the Tionese gear, but you will always have more crystals than commendations, due to how frequently they drop in hard modes.

I honestly have no idea why they are even in the game, and why they couldn't just make each boss drop one commendation, and adjust the price of gear accordingly. Has Bioware ever commented on this, or does anyone have a theory as to why they exist?
- System specs
- Hilarious catch phrase
"Deep philosophical quote"

TheRealBoz
01.22.2012 , 08:35 PM | #2
Most hilarious detail: Tionese is the lowest endgame PvE gear level. In order to get a single piece of gear through Tionese crystals and commendations, you'd have to complete two dozen hard mode flashpoints. You'd also have to be the unluckiest dude in the universe and get NO drops for your class in all 24 FPs you do. And over two thirds of those items are actually better than Tionese.
Bottom line: The commendations, crystals and vendor serve NO purpose.
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!

Sildadar
01.22.2012 , 09:28 PM | #3
Agreed that they are useless. All I use them for (and Columi to a certain degree now) is for pet food. But my Quinn does look like a raiding pimp.

arnoldlol
01.23.2012 , 12:22 AM | #4
They're there for the sole purpose of gearing your most hated companions, since columi/champion gear is so easy your main companions get that - but the ones you don't like get stuck with Tionese!

It's basically a guild consensus for us that we hope BW will introduce some other vendor, that makes the crystals useful.. How about Quick-Growth Agent for tionese crystals?!! Sounds great right??
Cali Killed Nox
o [Website] o [Stream] o

jonnybigboy
01.23.2012 , 01:52 AM | #5
I currently have 416 tionese crystals and my all of my columni drops. I think the only use I will ever get from having them is writing this post.

MareLooke
01.23.2012 , 03:30 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRealBoz View Post
Most hilarious detail: Tionese is the lowest endgame PvE gear level. In order to get a single piece of gear through Tionese crystals and commendations, you'd have to complete two dozen hard mode flashpoints. You'd also have to be the unluckiest dude in the universe and get NO drops for your class in all 24 FPs you do. And over two thirds of those items are actually better than Tionese.
Bottom line: The commendations, crystals and vendor serve NO purpose.
And to note that the bonus bosses (that drop Tionese gear) are usually harder than the rest of the bosses in the instance.
Alanya - Sorcerer [50]

Schwick
01.23.2012 , 04:00 AM | #7
While I do agree the ratio does not make any sense, I did use the vendor three times now. This is thanks to doing operations and HC modes giving the other commendations.

I think in the current state, Bioware should lower the ratio of required commendations. In terms of tionese crystals, let us buy items from them. For example upgrades, stims, scrolls, crafting blues/purples, etc. The same thing WoW did with their tokens. It was a nice way to make life easier on raiders. Even when done you could sell some of the stuff to pay for repairbills (not that it's really needed ATM).
Service with a smile
Information about upcoming patches http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=293118
A collection of operation concerns, please support this topic: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=251249

Leftclickz
01.23.2012 , 04:03 AM | #8
if you could buy materials or consumables with tionese crystals i'd be quite pleased tbh cuz atm theyre about as useful as **** on a nun

BMBender
01.23.2012 , 04:13 AM | #9
agreed have several hundred or so and have only used em to buy companion gear, Hopefully at some point they'll allow a swap for coms/crystals like in beta, but who knows what the thought process is on this.
The only thing that should impact a players success/failure in pvpplayervsplayeris his/her skill not what they are wearing. Otherwise call it GvG gear vs gear, crunch the #'s in a calc, face-roll your keyboard, and go watch TV.polls by paulolesonhttp://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=164486pollhttp://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=164530

Monterone
01.23.2012 , 06:27 AM | #10
Tionese is useless, as others have said. And for it to require commendations and crystals on top of that is strange. Oh well, I have no use for it, completely useless items for me, I guess I won't worry about it.
Zombie . Silk . Sinestro
Satele Shan