Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So who has the worst storyline? break it down

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
So who has the worst storyline? break it down

Punkre
01.23.2012 , 06:08 AM | #11
The SI is so far the worst story.

I have played the BH to almost the end (I got to corellia.)
Spoiler

I am starting my Sith Warrior just recently, so I can't say too much on it, except that I feel cheated that I already got to manipulate 100% more times than I have on my SI.

The Imperial Agent was really fun, so far it is the best.
Spoiler

The SI just feels like it has the worst companions, the worst romance arcs, and the lack of doing anything cool.
Spoiler

As a SI:
Spoiler
In your pants. I'm alluding to your priorities being in your pants. Like, your wiener or weird lady parts that no one understands because they're all tucked in. That's what I was going for. -Coyote

ByronixHero
01.23.2012 , 06:09 AM | #12
Why is it that people consider Consular/Inquisitor stories horrible? I have only played up to act 1 on my SI, and my consular is barely L11 but I love them both.
The consular is an exemplar of the order, serene/peaceful. The SI is on a path to infinite power. They both seem interesting so far in. So do tell please (I got no problem with spoilers), what do you find wrong with their stories?
I've seen JK story, and it's nice - but the JK character feels much more emotion driven - his dialogue especially... Less Jedi like, though I don't mind.
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no death, there is the Force.

Lexandar
01.23.2012 , 07:04 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
Spoiler
Spoiler

Quote:
Spoiler
I mentioned it in another thread:

Spoiler

Quote:
Spoiler
That's because you haven't been following Thanaton's side of things:

Thanaton's scared

Spoiler

I think, ultimately, the SI is actually very strong, especially the end which feels more satisfying than the SW's. However getting to the end is extremely irritating with railroaded plots (yes Kallig, I know this was a trap, no I didn't have a choice) and non entity companions.

Bobbyrab
01.23.2012 , 07:47 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
I'm sorry but your explanation of the SI story is what's called 'post-hoc rationalisation'. You're puting in justifications and reasons that have occurred to you but which were not actually written by Bioware. More to the point, the few elements you mention that are part of the official story, don't make sense:

Are you suggesting that BW has to spell everything out? No inferences allowed from the player?

The problem BW (and any writer for a video game) is faced with is the choice to tell us a story or provide a framework for us to craft our own story. They went with the latter, as quoted in The Art and Making of the Old Republic.

That's the solution and the problem, as evidenced by some enjoying the heck out of their stories because they get to be the Jedi hero, the Sith monster, etc. versus others (myself included) who are frustrated that the stories don't have as much meat. I'd like a little more WRITER agency, not player agency. Just my opinion.

Lexandar
01.23.2012 , 08:37 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Bobbyrab View Post
Are you suggesting that BW has to spell everything out? No inferences allowed from the player?
This. Giving everything a spelled out, idiot proof yet needless explanation is the reason Midichlorians exist:

The Force is bacteria everyone. Go home, pack your DVDs, nothing more to see here.

Phyreblade
01.23.2012 , 11:34 AM | #16
I simply can not stand the Imperial Agent story. I have heard many arguments for why it's such a great story but I just hated it. I hated the entire "I'm Bond, James Bond" feel of the thing. To me, it's little more than one spy adventure after another, from the very start, even. Gag-worthy. And before you ask, yes, I hate James Bond movies, too.

Just bugs me, for instance, every time any IA says, "Remember my name, give me credit for what happened here!" I groaned the last time I was grouped with my husband during a run through of Black Talon and had an IA in the group who did that. I said to hubby, "No spy worth his salt would EVER say anything like that."

Perhaps if the story hadn't followed such a cliched hollywood-version of a spy's work -- I don't know. As it is, the IA is the only class who doesn't have a character sitting on my load screen, lol.
"Why can't things be easy? Just once!"
-- Gaibriel, Sawbones Scoundrel on the Shadowlands Server
Phyreblade, Co-Leader Covenant of the Phoenix

DarkestDaemon
01.23.2012 , 11:42 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by ByronixHero View Post
Why is it that people consider Consular/Inquisitor stories horrible? I have only played up to act 1 on my SI, and my consular is barely L11 but I love them both.
The consular is an exemplar of the order, serene/peaceful. The SI is on a path to infinite power. They both seem interesting so far in. So do tell please (I got no problem with spoilers), what do you find wrong with their stories?
I've seen JK story, and it's nice - but the JK character feels much more emotion driven - his dialogue especially... Less Jedi like, though I don't mind.
I think most people have a problem with the Inquisitor more than the Consular because, well, let's be serious.

The Inquisitor class is essentially based off of Sidious, he's the best example we have of a Sith Sorcerer that all can draw from and the dude is a master at manipulation, deception, etc. He's very powerful, he's able to corrupt Jedi, so on and so forth.

The Inquisitor storyline, from the little I've done, has me feeling like Indiana Jones with a lightsaber. Then later on I find out I'm a Ghostbuster with a lightsaber. No matter how awesome it'd be to picture Bill Murray as a Sith/Jedi, I can't reconcile the two ideas.

To give examples from my warrior:

Spoiler

To top it off the storyline feels steady compared to the Inquisitor. Playing through the Warrior storyline is like reading a story with a set plot. From what I've read of the Inquisitor, it's like playing through a series of short stories that only remain consistent in the main character.
"The Force will set me free!"
Darth Tybek Maar, Wraith of Taris
Wraith (The Story of Tybek) - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=246582

tyrantsilkey
01.23.2012 , 11:48 AM | #18
I'm loving the Jedi Knight story! Just finished the part of the story after Hoth. I think I have an idea of how the story is going to progress, but I don't want to throw any big spoilers out there.

Lauraliane
01.23.2012 , 12:06 PM | #19
Saw Bounty Hunter, Imperial Agent to completion.

They are both quite good, even though Bounty Hunter feel a bit repetitive after a while.

Imperial Agent was pure awesomeness.

Currently doing Sith Inquisitor, I am up to Belsavis, Act 3, and it is by far the worst story so far.

Illogic, no real epicness, you feel weak and dumb all along, the goals are uninteresting, it is full of "defeat by cutscenes"

It was ok up till the end of Act 1, but Act 2 was horribly boring and disapointing.

Bobaganusch
01.23.2012 , 01:15 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Lauraliane View Post
Saw Bounty Hunter, Imperial Agent to completion.

They are both quite good, even though Bounty Hunter feel a bit repetitive after a while.
I felt the same about the Bounty Hunter's story. Honestly, Act 1 was the end of the BH storyline as far as I'm concerned. Everything that has happened in Act 2 and 3 just seemed like a repeat of Act 1, but with different targets. I'm almost done with Corellia, but I just can't be bothered to go back and finish it.

I've also recently finished Act 1 for Sith Warriors. I have enjoyed it so far, however, it's starting to feel repetitive. It seems like, from the responses to this thread, the storylines for all the classes are front loaded, with the prequel and Act 1 being the most enjoyable.