Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Full Trooper Companion List and Gifts

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
SWTOR Full Trooper Companion List and Gifts

JohnnyGatt
12.13.2011 , 08:34 AM | #1
The order in which Trooper's gain access to their companions gives them a lot of gameplay style options early on. The first companion is DPS and the second heals, which allows the player to settle into a gameplay style by around level 15. Using a DPS/tanking companion provides a very different gameplay than tank/DPS healer. DPS/tank with a healer might take a little longer to get through quests and mobs, but you definitely die a lot less, whereas using two DPS or even a semi-tank/DPS combo might allow you to kill things faster, but there are a lot of circumstances where you're waiting for the resurrect timer due to miscalculations or accidentally attacking more than one elite.

The Trooper companion line-up has good variety and there is a hot chick as the healer which is great for players wanting a romance storyline with a female character. Not only does companion affection help your relationship with that companion, it also unlocks valuable conversations which grant a lot of experience. I didn't learn the value of gifts to companions until I had already reached high level 40s on beta.

Check out a compilation of everything I have been able to gather about Trooper companions and their gifts here: http://www.swtorface.com/p/trooper-companion-list.html
Jean ,John ,Johnny ,Johnnie ,Jeck , Jev and Nomi Sunrider on "Dalborra"
GamingFace.com Your SWTOR Companion News and Info blog!
Full Companion list with gifts on GamingFace

Sempronos
12.13.2011 , 09:00 AM | #2
Very nice, I appreciate the link. If playing a female trooper, can you develop a romantic relationship with a female companion?

Not looking for hot girl on girl action, but as a guy in real life, I sometimes play female toons. Not sure why, probably something best brought up in therapy, but anyhow I was just curious.
---- There is no Spoon ----

entropyboy
12.13.2011 , 09:04 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Sempronos View Post
Very nice, I appreciate the link. If playing a female trooper, can you develop a romantic relationship with a female companion?

Not looking for hot girl on girl action, but as a guy in real life, I sometimes play female toons. Not sure why, probably something best brought up in therapy, but anyhow I was just curious.
no male to male or female to female relationships in swtor, from what i have read.
only male to female or female to male.

droids make tender lovers.

StickAndMove
12.13.2011 , 09:22 AM | #4
Great post, thank you!
"Don't assume that a statement is authentic just because it is written in quotation marks."
- Sarah Jessica Parker

Renarcana
12.13.2011 , 09:34 AM | #5
awesome post of I was wondering what kind of companions the trooper was getting because its would be great to know which ones are tanky, dps, or heals.

Darth_Nub
12.13.2011 , 09:46 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by entropyboy View Post
no male to male or female to female relationships in swtor, from what i have read.
only male to female or female to male.

droids make tender lovers.
It's been confirmed SGR's will be post launch. When post launch has not been confirmed however.
I'm not sure my ship's big enough to fill that void... but let's give it a try!

Heezdedjim
12.13.2011 , 11:21 AM | #7
I think the trooper has the worst companion progression of any class I played in beta.

Unless it changed for launch, we don't even have our first pet at all until after we complete the class apex quest on Ord Mantel, which makes that instance needlessly hard compared to other classes, which already have their companions by level 5-9. Also, our first pet is DPS, which is far less helpful than a healer at the very low levels (BH, by contrast, get the heal pet first, and sooner than any other class gets its first pet).

If you're correct about us getting the second pet on Taris, that means we have to go all the way through Coruscant and probably most of the way through our third planet before we get our second pet. I don't think any other class has such a huge gap in the progression like that, or has to wait so long to get the first heal pet.

I'm not sure how that all adds up to settling into a play style by level 15, unless your preferred play style is tanking with a DPS pet and having no other options.

Gordoma
12.13.2011 , 03:15 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
Unless it changed for launch, we don't even have our first pet at all until
my companion doesn't like being called a pet!

From what I've read Aric Jorgan (the first companion) is a powerful dps toon. I don't particularly mind that we don't get a second until Taris, but I hope its early... Anyone know if Trooper gets a ship after Ord Mantell?
May the Force be with you

Spartans
12.13.2011 , 03:21 PM | #9
Thanks for the "heads up." That information helps alot!

Karanis
12.13.2011 , 03:38 PM | #10
Troopers get their ship when they leave Corisant. And in general most classes get companions late. Bounty hunter didn't get their second companion (DPS) until the end of Tatooine at around level 28.