Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reverse Engineering Vibroknives

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Reverse Engineering Vibroknives

LordMcGray
01.26.2012 , 07:08 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Tickdoff-Tank View Post
I have seen several threads about this, but they are hard to track down (BIOWARE!! PLEASE GIVE US A FORUM SEARCH FEATURE)
What exactly is hard to track down with the Reverse Engineering thread being stickied to the top of the form?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=45866
May the Force allways be with ME!

microg
01.26.2012 , 08:47 AM | #12
This is bug a HUGE problem. 99% of people aren't going to happen to read about this on that sticky. They are going to craft dozens if not hundreds of their item and try to reverse engineer the item they want. When they don't get it, many will think "damn, I'm just unlucky" because that is apparently what BioWare wants crafters to think when trying to get purple patterns. Not only is it poor design, it's VERY poor policy to let a bug like this linger.

Lady_Alyria
01.26.2012 , 11:09 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by microg View Post
This is bug a HUGE problem. 99% of people aren't going to happen to read about this on that sticky. They are going to craft dozens if not hundreds of their item and try to reverse engineer the item they want. When they don't get it, many will think "damn, I'm just unlucky" because that is apparently what BioWare wants crafters to think when trying to get purple patterns. Not only is it poor design, it's VERY poor policy to let a bug like this linger.
Even if the issue is the higher schematics don't exist and they'd have to make them from scratch, how hard is it to put in a red warning when you RE an offhand "YOU WILL NEVER EVER SUCCEED!!! NO BLUE SCHEMATICS EXIST!"? It's been a freakin month.

rocdogg
01.26.2012 , 11:23 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady_Alyria View Post
Even if the issue is the higher schematics don't exist and they'd have to make them from scratch, how hard is it to put in a red warning when you RE an offhand "YOU WILL NEVER EVER SUCCEED!!! NO BLUE SCHEMATICS EXIST!"? It's been a freakin month.
Probably harder than to enable recipes to proc properly.

Grimgrey
01.26.2012 , 11:48 AM | #15
The way the RE system is set up creates the expectation that you will have to try between 5-50 times (or more, if you're really unlucky) to find a new schematic. It's painful enough when it works - subverting this expectation without warning or explanation creates unnecessary frustration.

A tag that explains that a particular class of items can't be improved would avoid a lot of crafter angst.

CaliJoe
01.26.2012 , 12:30 PM | #16
I've read the RE thread a few times, I just keep forgetting while playing that I can't RE certain items when I start getting an upgrade streak.
Wild speculation on forums? When does that happen? The Harbinger - Fumanshu Legacy
Repub: Jafaean(Arms), Zelgen(Artifice), Espellah(Cyber), Jabender(Synthweave)
Imp: Vindrock(Armor), Antshell(BioChem), Li'Larish, Kenevil

lull
01.26.2012 , 12:42 PM | #17
The thing which most bothers me most about this issue is that I have not even seen an acknowledgement of it from BioWare. As someone else pointed out, people are generally unlikely to be aware of it until they have tried to RE something unsuccessfully enough times that they get fed up and look for information. This is an issue which can cause people to waste significant amounts of resources/credits and as far as I can tell BioWare isn't even admitting that it's a bug.

I'm pretty sure there are some items which can't be RE'ed. Couldn't they disable RE for these until the issue were fixed?

riexau
01.26.2012 , 01:00 PM | #18
At 400 armstech you can craft a blue 48 vibroknife, which can crit and have an aug slot.

Of course, it requires 3 Biometric Crystal Alloy's, which are HM only drops.

LazarusTaglim
02.14.2012 , 03:38 PM | #19
I recently submitted a ticket on the subject, after spending a very long time RE'ing a few score of vibroknives. The response was that this was, "working as intended".

At the very least they should warn you with a confirmation dialog when trying to RE these and shotguns, "Unlike everything else, Reverse Engineering this will not give a chance at improving your schematic, proceed?"

Pudsley
02.26.2012 , 08:30 PM | #20
Why the hell didn't I google this previously.

Re'd about 300 level 13 and level 17 vibroknives with no result, how about Bioware actually helps it's players out a little, drops that cannot be RE'd actually come up with "No Reverse Engineering information available" or words to that effect, would be nice if they could be bothered to do the same for the craftables they couldn't be bothered putting in higher quality recipes for.

People might think I'd have realised way before 300, but I have about 9 level 49 purple chest schematics on my Synthweaving main and some of those took hundreds of RE's.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi