Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Smacks guide to Sharp Shootin'

Elyons
01.29.2012 , 06:11 PM | #11
Great guide! Been playing Gunslinger for a couple weeks, so Ive learned the class fairly well - however your comments on how useful aimed shot can be (And I already thought it was one of the best skills) was invaluable. Thinking about respecing my skill tree and experimenting with a new rotation for PvE.

As for your PvP guide - THANK YOU!

The tips you gave in there really have opened my eyes. Id nearly given up at fighting inquisitors at all and instead just shielding up, stunning, then running from them so Id be able to live a bit longer.

Keep up the good work

Elyon
Kaserai:Jedi Sentinel Mahddi:Smuggler Scoundrel
Begeran Colony

Kheranax
01.30.2012 , 01:08 PM | #12
Cheers Elyons, I actually have some updates to make to it, most notably the use of hunker down and when it's good to use.

Glad you're finding it useful, it's a hell of a mystery at the moment trying to work everything out. But I guess that's part of the fun.

Roll on logs.
Captain Smack - Proud Leader of "Legion"
www.legionguild.eu
Smack's Guide to Sharp Shootin!

Kheranax
02.03.2012 , 07:40 AM | #13
Made some significant updates to the PVP section, as well as some obersvations on the subject of stats and builds.

Till we get meters in I can't go mad on inter class analysis, but I'll revisit it at some point.

Hope you like the updates, let me know if there are any questions

GL

Smack
www.legionguild.eu

shewebacca
02.03.2012 , 08:52 AM | #14
Enjoyed the guide, I definitely think you cover some very important points, especially for those trying to learn Sharp Shooting.
I, like you, have tried all three specs and have come feel Sharpshooting is very strong (my complaint with DF is the same).

My skill tree is the same as you linked for PvE but for PvP i change things a little bit.
I go this route http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700bsrbdRsRxzZbI.1

What I really like about this is the extra energy really helps for opening burst on someone. It keeps me from losing the energy regen.

I also like the bonus to the AOE/Sab charge. The 15% goes a long way, and is a noticeable addition to the Sharpshooters burst, adding a good 500+ damage on a crit. It also makes Flyby *hurt* adding almost 1k damage I believe.

A final comment/question is about Flourish Shot. I've understood it to be 20% reduction to armor, which even on heavy armor I think works out to <5% more damage on that target. Do I misunderstand and this increases damage by the mentioned 20%? Or is the <5% worth it?

Edit: I also think it is worth mentioning the usefulness of Diversion against not just Snipers but also Marauders, Juggernauts, etc etc. It has definitely saved me more than a couple times.
Nice Guide

Cheers

Kheranax
02.04.2012 , 07:01 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by shewebacca View Post
What I really like about this is the extra energy really helps for opening burst on someone. It keeps me from losing the energy regen.

I also like the bonus to the AOE/Sab charge. The 15% goes a long way, and is a noticeable addition to the Sharpshooters burst, adding a good 500+ damage on a crit. It also makes Flyby *hurt* adding almost 1k damage I believe.

A final comment/question is about Flourish Shot. I've understood it to be 20% reduction to armor, which even on heavy armor I think works out to <5% more damage on that target. Do I misunderstand and this increases damage by the mentioned 20%? Or is the <5% worth it?

Edit: I also think it is worth mentioning the usefulness of Diversion against not just Snipers but also Marauders, Juggernauts, etc etc. It has definitely saved me more than a couple times.
Great feedback! Thanks Shewe.

Couple of questions in there and valid points I'd like to respond to

The extra 10 energy, I can see your argument as it's giving you a buffer to protect that vitally important max energy per second bracket. The trouble for me would be that I've spent my entrie gunslinger career working around what I have and it's working fine for me. For the sake of the points, I'd rather have more pure output somewhere else (vital shot being a good example). You mentioned this allows for more burst in the opener, I'd love to know what you're opening with so I can give it a whirl and see how it goes.

The points in AOE has really got me curious, on paper it's 15% which for me is about 300 damage on Sab Charge and at most about 500 on my Flyby ticks. Don't get me wrong, an extra 500 per tick on flyby is not insignificant and on 3 or more targets represents good use of the points to get it. The problem, is that I rarely use Flyby on boss fights (I probably should use it on CD given how hard it hits, even single target but it just feels wrong dammit!

Given how many points it takes to get these, I am not sure it's worth it, single target I have my VS tick for over 300 already so putting the points where I have gives a very frequent extra 300 damage and CD on a VS tick is a lot lower than any of the explosive of AOE ticks. I'll have to try this out to get a real impression I have a feeling your variation will be good for PvP where point control is important.

With regard to your point on Flourish, I think you understand fine, it's a 20% armour reduction that would in theory yield around a 5% increase in damage yes. It's a great skill to open with, particularly if you've preloaded the target with a charge.

And lastly, diversion. Yep we agree here, it's a real life saver. I've added it into the PVP section in the "pop everything" section, but I may well end up putting in class specific recommendations as well. Suffice to say, it's a must have for PVP really.

Thanks again for the great feedback, some real food for thought in there. Will do some testing and update accordingly

Smack.
www.legionguild.eu

Samborino
02.04.2012 , 07:53 AM | #16
The one thing i like about my saboteur hybrid build is i can do your scenario number 1 where you talk about blowing all your energy. And not have to worry about it.

That was the thing i didnt like about the SS build is that you have to stagger it with flurry of bolts and it feels like your losing out on dps.

I switched back to this and ive been loving it again so far.

For fights like infernal council having more dots and insta casts makes a huge difference as well, nothing like casting aimed shot during that fight onlly to have it interupted right before it casts resulting in a huge loss of dps.

Thank you for the guide though! It was actually really helpful and helped me understand the SS build alot better.

Im gonna stick with saboteur for as long as i can though

This is my sab build. http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#70...bRobRrcZG0bz.1

Kheranax
02.06.2012 , 06:36 AM | #17
Cheers for the feedback Samborino,

I'm going to give your build a shot later on today and see how it goes. I can totally understand your frustrations about having to weave in low energy consumption abilities in order to sustain maximum output.

For me that's simply become a matter of discipline but I would love to find a build that allows non stop ability use more so for pvp than for pve if I am honest.

ThHere's a very satisfying run of numbers in pvp when you've preloaded a target with sab charge and then you whizz off your charged bolts, trick shot and aim shot. Especially if all of crits, I am getting about 2.5k from the sab charge on average, 2k from the CB, another 1.5 to 2k from the TS and a hefty 3.5 to 4.5 on average from the aimed.

When you can open with a fairly reliable 8-10k string of damage, you are usually off to a good start. The trouble I found with Sabo was once I had run the initial opener, I was literally out of ideas as to how to proceed and ended up utilising fairly low hitting abilities. This is almost certainly a matter of practice so it would be great to get some rotation ideas to go with your build if you could.

Cheers!

Smack.
www.legionguild.eu

shewebacca
02.06.2012 , 07:30 AM | #18
Hey thanks for the response.

I think I should preface this by saying that I am largely PvP oriented, although I do raid weekly/do HMs.

That being said, in Warzones when I am involved in a large group fight, I make it my job to kill/harass/distract their healer first, and if I can help it, aim for the lightest armor targets I can find.
When i mentioned Flourish Shot, I estimated 5%, however, that would be if I was fighting a heavy armored opponent, if I am fighting a light armored opponent that 20% armor reduction may result in a 2% increase (and I apologize I don't have the math to confirm this). This being the case, I typically avoid it unless fighting heavy armor. I will say in PvE especially boss fights, I keep flourish shot up at all times.

Now that I've given it more thought, I wouldn't say Flourish Shot is bad by any means, but situational. The more people attacking the target and the heavier the armor make it more and more useful, and vice versa.

On to my "opener". Say I find a Mercenary or a Sorcerer healing in a WZ.
1)Get in cover (procs the free Charged Burst) and trigger my Relic (I use the PvP power relic.
2)Sabotage Charge
3)Aimed Shot
4)Charged Burst
5)Trickshot
6*)SpeedShot
7*)Quickdraw
The order seems paradoxical since the Charged Burst can reduce the cast time of the aimed shot. But with that opener, my goal is maximum burst. What ends up happening is the Aimed Shot hits and detonates the Sabotage Charge at once. Then I have time to use the instant charged burst before it runs out, followed by Trickshot.
With the 15% bonus to Sab Charge along with the Aimed Shot at once, this can hit for 4-5k without critting and as much as 8k if both do. This followed by an immediate charged burst (1.6-3k) followed by an immediate Trickshot (1.6k-3k) comes out to anywhere from 7.2k-14k in a very small window of time, making it very hard for someone to react. With GCD, it comes out to 7k-13k burst in 3ish seconds. If you Charged Burst before Aimed Shot the damage occurs between 4.5-5.5 seconds depending on if you proc the talent. And once again, sorry for the rough estimates.
After the opening, you can follow up with Speedshot or Quickdraw depending on how successful it was.

I looked over the energy costs and such of the abilities and I realized that the extra 10 energy isn't really needed at the very beginning, if you use them in this order you will stay above 60 energy. However, I will say that I very rarely find myself needing to use flurry of bolts as I simply do not have energy problems. I don't know if the 100-110 is the reason, but worth mentioning.

I can definitely see taking the bonuses to Vital Shot as a legitimate alternative to the bonus AOE damage. It is likely a higher DPS bonus, especially over a long window. However, as a personal preference, the 15% to Sab Charge (I've had mine crit for as high as 3.6k) is nice. Even better is the devastation that my Flyby causes. While I agree the ability is not suited for some bosses in PvE, it is still amazing. In a sense, it is your best damaging ability, taking only 2 seconds to channel and doing 5k+ no problem. In PvP it is simply invaluable. I use it in Voidstar every single time it is up. Nothing better than dropping it on top of a group of healers/ranged DPS, or over a point that your team is trying to defend (this goes equally for Alderaan and Hutball). I do miss the utility of the Sabotuer Incendiary Grenade, but it is still great.

Kheranax
02.07.2012 , 05:49 AM | #19
I have to say I am leaning more toward the build you suggest purely because of the fact that if I sync up Flyby alongside my cooldowns (adrenal and power relic) I get ticks of about 3.7k already so enhancing this further is likely to be a big increase.

This in itself is not always going to be awesome in PvE infact, compared to the potential extra 500 crits on vital shot, it's probably a single target PvE loss, but the benefits in PvP are huge as you've rightly stated.

I've not yet had a chance to fully explore the DF/Sab builds that people are getting good results from, but this is predominantly as there seems to be no real consensus on what that build is.

It's typical they would bring the servers down on a day I can actually do some mucking about
www.legionguild.eu

Kheranax
02.14.2012 , 06:30 AM | #20
Been trialling an enhanced AoE build for a while now and it's useful, I can get Flyby ticks up to right on the edge of 4k with buffs and CD's.

I've also got some video footage of the DF/Sab build which is fun to play if a little short on big hitting abilities for my liking. Great as a PVP harass build, I'll upload it later.
www.legionguild.eu