Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Accidentily missed marying Nadia

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Accidentily missed marying Nadia

EvanSnowWolf's Avatar


EvanSnowWolf
01.22.2012 , 01:36 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by ScramblesTD View Post
See,

When your working with the EU, the EU rules take the lead.
That does not make them less dumb.
"But you know how it is, cows go moo, dogs go woof, and mmo players go the pvp is unbalanced." - Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw.

smartalectwo's Avatar


smartalectwo
01.22.2012 , 01:43 PM | #22
When it comes to dumb things in Star Wars, I don't think we can afford to start too much of a witch-hunt, EU or not.
There is no try.

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
01.22.2012 , 01:43 PM | #23
You guys miss something extremely important from the original trilogy, which is as canon as it gets. Luke's story basically showed that the Jedi distrust of love and such attachments (both romantic and otherwise) was misguided. Remember when Luke tells Obi Wan's ghost that he can't kill his father and Obi Wan says "then the Emperor has already won." He thought love would doom the rebellion. But it is that love that redeems Vader and defeats the dark side. Nothing could be more light side than love. There is dialogue from several characters in the KOTOR series that seem to get this. It's not love and attachments that are the true danger. It's not being able to manage your emotions in such situations. Frankly, that would surface if you were in love or not.

This view also is a rather lame concept of love. It views all loving relationships as some sort of Romeo and Juliet tragic form of love, which is extremely rare. More often, love is supportive and more likely to keep you grounded.

ScramblesTD's Avatar


ScramblesTD
01.22.2012 , 01:43 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by EvanSnowWolf View Post
That does not make them less dumb.

What's dumb is using movie canon rules in the EU.

Especially when the only thing the movies have to say about the whole Jedi marriage issue is Padme saying "Anakin the council would never allow it" or something along those lines.


Hardly a statement to build the foundation of your argument around.
Sorcerers need lightning to kill you. Troopers need guns to kill you. Smugglers need shotguns and Marauders need lightsabers.

Consulars? All we need are pebbles.

Pencilstubs's Avatar


Pencilstubs
01.22.2012 , 01:47 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
You guys miss something extremely important from the original trilogy, which is as canon as it gets. Luke's story basically showed that the Jedi distrust of love and such attachments (both romantic and otherwise) was misguided. Remember when Luke tells Obi Wan's ghost that he can't kill his father and Obi Wan says "then the Emperor has already won." He thought love would doom the rebellion. But it is that love that redeems Vader and defeats the dark side. Nothing could be more light side than love. There is dialogue from several characters in the KOTOR series that seem to get this. It's not love and attachments that are the true danger. It's not being able to manage your emotions in such situations. Frankly, that would surface if you were in love or not.

This view also is a rather lame concept of love. It views all loving relationships as some sort of Romeo and Juliet tragic form of love, which is extremely rare. More often, love is supportive and more likely to keep you grounded.
As someone who considers himself rather well versed in Star Wars lore, particularly when it comes to the philosophy of the Force, I would like to congratulate you on hitting the nail on the head.
"Controlling your passions while being in love... that's what they should teach you to beware. But love, itself, will save you... not condemn you."-Jolee Bindo
All the way to Alderaan

Hunter_Este's Avatar


Hunter_Este
01.22.2012 , 01:53 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by ScramblesTD View Post
See,



When your working with the EU, the EU rules take the lead.



But just to humor myself I'll ask you where in the 6 films does it say that Jedi cannot marry, ever.

Just because a particular council disallows something doesn't mean the rules are set in stone. If your old boss gave you a 45 minute lunch break, and your new boss only gives you a 20 minute break, does that mean the 45 minute break never existed at all?
You're dealing with a purist here, they wont believe anything that wasn't in episodes 4-6 no matter what anyone (even George) says.
If ever should your elders
Forget to say their prayers
Take them by the legs
And throw them down the stairs.

EvanSnowWolf's Avatar


EvanSnowWolf
01.22.2012 , 02:09 PM | #27
If you want to get technical.. there were prequel advertisements from Lucasfilm that said a jedi should not know love.

Also, redeeming a parent that has sinned is not the same thing as dating your padawan. The problem with using EU as sacred text is that it gets rewritten all the time.

Personally ... I don't expect an unbiased understanding from KOTOR fanboys with Jolee Bindo quotes in their sigs.
"But you know how it is, cows go moo, dogs go woof, and mmo players go the pvp is unbalanced." - Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw.

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
01.22.2012 , 02:12 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by EvanSnowWolf View Post
If you want to get technical.. there were prequel advertisements from Lucasfilm that said a jedi should not know love.

Also, redeeming a parent that has sinned is not the same thing as dating your padawan. The problem with using EU as sacred text is that it gets rewritten all the time.

Personally ... I don't expect an unbiased understanding from KOTOR fanboys with Jolee Bindo quotes in their sigs.
Well the whole "Jedi should have no such attachments" stuff came from the prequels, and the Jedi Council of that era totally screwed the pooch and let one old coot with political ambition take over the galaxy, so forgive me if I think some of their concepts might be a bit flawed, especially since the prequels showed that loving attachments (remember the first step Anakin took toward the dark side was because of his love for his mother) could be redemptive.

Pencilstubs's Avatar


Pencilstubs
01.22.2012 , 02:15 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by EvanSnowWolf View Post
If you want to get technical.. there were prequel advertisements from Lucasfilm that said a jedi should not know love.

Also, redeeming a parent that has sinned is not the same thing as dating your padawan. The problem with using EU as sacred text is that it gets rewritten all the time.

Personally ... I don't expect an unbiased understanding from KOTOR fanboys with Jolee Bindo quotes in their sigs.
Much anger, I sense in this one. Before you go on trying to teach others, perhaps you should review the basics of the Code itself.

This argument comes down to levels of canon. Some choose only to follow Lucas canon, others allow more flexibility. We can argue the various merits of both all day. The fact of the matter is, we're playing a game in the EU and the stories will evolve as such. Anything more is opinion.
"Controlling your passions while being in love... that's what they should teach you to beware. But love, itself, will save you... not condemn you."-Jolee Bindo
All the way to Alderaan

Kooxy's Avatar


Kooxy
01.22.2012 , 04:10 PM | #30
While I do agree with what has been said about love being the true meaning of force, there is one argument everyone seems to forget: swtor takes place way before the events of the 6 movies. Now as it was previously stated the council were completely against the concept of marriage in episode 1 and 2. So presumably, there is no way that the council that was in store 20,000 years before would accept it .