Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"only a single instance of this application can run

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
"only a single instance of this application can run
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

NoIdeaForAName
01.22.2012 , 01:17 AM | #1
Every time I click on the launcher I get this ""only a single instance of this application can run".

Tried the following:

I checked task manager and nothing there.

Launched as Admin and still pop's up.

Restarted comp.

Went to swtor folder and clicked FixLaunch, A error message came up "Some file could not be created"

Also tried to delete patch folder (was in another thread) but couldn't. "Action could not be completed because the folder or file in it is open in another program".

Any ideas?

Thanks
Batteries (Apprentice II)
Shadow Sith | Oceanic PvP/PvE Sith Guild

Guild Website | SWTOR Thread | SWTOR Site

NoIdeaForAName
01.22.2012 , 04:20 AM | #2
Bump..

Naugor
01.22.2012 , 05:32 AM | #3 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hello NoIdeaForAName,

In order to solve your issue, please follow the troubleshooting steps below:
  • Please make sure that your anti-virus software and firewall are not blocking launcher.exe.
  • Go to this location:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
    Here, if you find a folder called 'Patch', delete it please.
  • Run FixLauncher.exe (also in the above location) as administrator.

Afterwards, please run the launcher again and let us know if you still experience this issue.

Thank you for your help.
Naugor | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

renegadeimp
01.22.2012 , 05:37 AM | #4
Open your task manager and look for a program called launcher.exe.

Make sure "show processes form all users" is active.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

StrykaTillisk
01.22.2012 , 05:41 AM | #5
Via http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=2576

Quote: Originally Posted by trumpsofdoom View Post
If you are having this problem go in to you star wars old republic folder and delete the patch folder it should fix it
I'm not sure what folder is the 'patch folder', but this fixed the issue for several people. Maybe message trumpsofdoom for more details?

EDIT: looks like support responded with the location of the patch folder:
Go to this location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
Here, if you find a folder called 'Patch', delete it please.

That folder does not exist for me, but maybe that's why it's not working for you?

You could also try deleting the data in your windows profile:
Quote:
Launcher won’t start
Remove the temporary data or run the launcher as admin. You can remove the temp data by following the step by step instructions below:
When your game has crashed or when the servers have gone offline while you were logged on, it may help to delete the temporary files. Please go to the following folder: C:/users//AppDate/local
You will see a folder called SWTOR – please delete it and start your game again. This also may delese your gamesettings so you have to setup your screen resolution or UI again.
The folder AppData is a hidden folder – so you may have to activate hidden files and folders.
We strongly recommend you deactivate hidden files and folders after you have deleted the SWTOR folder to avoid any problems you may cause in deleting the wrong hidden files in your systemfolder.
Or you could try to look in the logs to see whats going on:
http://east-of-nowhere.com/2012/01/p...ching-problem/
Quote:
1. Checking the log file

The launcher log file can be found in:

For 32 bit Operating Systems – C:Program FilesElectronic ArtsBioWareStar Wars – The Old Republiclogs
For 64 bit Operating Systems – C:Program Files (x86)Electronic ArtsBioWareStar Wars – The Old Republiclogs
If you go to the latest log on the day the problem is occurring it is possible to find the problem file that has become corrupted in the process. It will look something like this:

ERROR Corrupt Source detected in C:Program FilesElectronic ArtsBioWareStar Wars – The Old RepublicAssets/swtor_en-us_area_corellia_1.tor (http://manifest.swtor.com/patch/asse….patchmanifest)

The corrupted file may be different for you, but the possible solution is the same. What can be done from here is to find this file on the game disc or if you downloaded the client, do a Google search and try and locate the corrupted file to replace it (this will not always be easy, and may require some knowledge on how to use torrent to download only that file). Once this has been done, try running the launcher again to see if the update installs correctly. This fix has worked for quite a few players who are unable to do the one known solution that works 100% of the time, a fix that I will have here as the final solution in this article (a fix I was lucky enough to have the resources to do). Some have even had to do this fix for multiple files throughout the update as it would hang-up and corrupt more than once.
Or try some stuff from other threads:
SWTOR support is probably just going to say something like:
Quote:
Greetings,

It looks like that there is background process of Star War the Old Republic still running.

We would recommend that you open your task manager and make sure that there are no Star Wars the Old Republic or SWTOR Applications or Process running. If there is please end these processes and try starting the launcher again.

Kind regards.
So double-tripple check that there is no running SWTOR processes. (SWTOR launches two different .exes when it starts)

Some other dude somewhere on the nets said:
Quote:
I had a similar issue. For some reason, I got that error message when I clicked on the desktop icon the installation made. But when I clicked the application from my Start menu, it worked just fine.
Doubt that will work, but give it a shot.

Thats all i got.
!█∭█∭█∭█∭║‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾\

ManaMonkey
01.22.2012 , 05:56 AM | #6
This launcher program is pathetic.

None of the fixes work

Deleting the patch folder - doesn't work

Killing the process doesn't work

Tried disabling AV doesn't work

What does work is after about a dozen or so tries at the fixlauncher program it does work

It works on more luck than any kind of technical solution.

The fact that it does work eventually I believe means that something in the code for this launcher is extremely buggy and so too is the fixlauncher app.

Highly frustrating.

Edit:

Just after posting this been trying to get the launcher to work for around 20 minutes now and to confirm what I have put above the only solution to this seems to be

1) kill the launcher32 process
2) run the fixlauncher from the directory maybe delete the patch folder (doesn't really seem to make much difference imo)
3) Launcher may or may not open and apply updates this will then close

4) MOST IMPORTANT STAGE cross your fingers, pray to whatever god you may or may not worship and run the launcher again. This may or may not then open as normal and you can get into the game. If not go back to stage 1 rinse and repeat - kinda like a raid boss :P

NoIdeaForAName
01.22.2012 , 06:59 AM | #7
Thank you for the replies.

I have already tried the following:

Went to swtor folder and clicked FixLaunch, A error message came up "Some file could not be created"

Also tried to delete patch folder (was in another thread) but couldn't. "Action could not be completed because the folder or file in it is open in another program".

Quote: Originally Posted by renegadeimp View Post
Open your task manager and look for a program called launcher.exe.

Make sure "show processes form all users" is active.
@ renegadeimp I found the folder, I tried to relaunch but nothing happens. If I click on it again then I get the message again.

EDIT: I've got it to work. I did what you said renegadeimp then deleted patch folder.

iain_b
01.22.2012 , 07:23 AM | #8
In my experience the only thing I have ever had to do is stop the Launcher.exe process in the Task Manager.
My Little Pwny
Kulok Dunar, Powertech and GM of MLP. Want to join? Click here for info.

Squadron 1020 & 367