Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Torn between the two stealth melee classes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Torn between the two stealth melee classes

Sylriana
01.21.2012 , 09:59 PM | #1
having trouble picking which to make. Both seem pretty fun and appear to ( if dps spec'd ) fill a similar niche. Can anyone offer me some more insight about them and help me decide?

Vallowen
01.21.2012 , 10:29 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Sylriana View Post
having trouble picking which to make. Both seem pretty fun and appear to ( if dps spec'd ) fill a similar niche. Can anyone offer me some more insight about them and help me decide?
Op sneaks around in stealth and king hits people, then dies afterwards because they have no utility, no defence, no mobility, and no dmg after the opener. But if you're lucky, you'll get one of these terrible forum posters that just bend over and take it, then scream 'OP!'.

Assassin has stealth, but they dont rely on it to actually do any dmg. They have tank stance, guard, taunt, ranged stun, knockback, ranged attacks, vanish, cloak etc etc.

After this patch, procced Maul will hit as hard as Hidden Strike. Except that Hidden Strike is on a 3min CD

Sylriana
01.21.2012 , 11:46 PM | #3
So operatives seem convinced their class is getting nerfed into the dirt, and almost every single person I've asked seems to think assassins are terrible at everything...

Hmm...

Vallowen
01.22.2012 , 12:25 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Sylriana View Post
So operatives seem convinced their class is getting nerfed into the dirt, and almost every single person I've asked seems to think assassins are terrible at everything...

Hmm...
Play an op then, i dont care.

all the whining was from lvl 10s getting blown up in the stun because of stim stacking and biochem etc

face someone thats geared and doesnt take as much dmg from the opener and its a different story. after the opener, they dont have anything else. unless you just stand there and take it, its an easy win.

Sylriana
01.22.2012 , 12:36 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Vallowen View Post
Play an op then, i dont care.

all the whining was from lvl 10s getting blown up in the stun because of stim stacking and biochem etc

face someone thats geared and doesnt take as much dmg from the opener and its a different story. after the opener, they dont have anything else. unless you just stand there and take it, its an easy win.
I'm seriously curious, You're just the first person I've seen that's had anything -nice- to say about the assassin.

Tiresias
01.22.2012 , 01:18 AM | #6
I've posted this multiple times today...

As someone who plays both a Shadow and a Scoundrel I would like to assure you that you cannot possibly imagine how much better life is for Scoundrels at the moment:

As a Shadow I am constantly having to "build up" my abilities or wait on procs to use my most powerful attacks. As a Scoundrel I press a button and follow a rotation.

As a Shadow I am constantly starved for Force thanks to have expensive my abilities are. As a Scoundrel I can maintain a nearly-full energy bar indefinitely assuming I manage my abilities properly and remember to hit my "Pugnacity" button on-cooldown.

As a Shadow I have zero burst damage coming out of stealth. As a Scoundrel my burst damage is immense and also applies a free stun and a strong DoT.

As a Shadow I have one proc that gives me a single attack that ignores 50% of my target's armor, and the proc has a 10 second internal cooldown. As a Scoundrel I have a permanent 50% armor penetration buff.

As a Shadow I am completely out of luck if my target gets more than 10m away from me, and have dramatically limited options once they are more than 4m away. As a Scoundrel I have MANY instant attacks with 30m of range at my disposal, a handful of charged attacks with the same range, and some very powerful attacks with 10m of range.

And my favorite: Scoundrels have Smuggle, but I can't do the same thing with the Force when on my Shadow.

Something tells me that Scoundrels are going to be JUST FINE after this nerf.

Caelrie
01.22.2012 , 01:36 AM | #7
I find myself wondering what level your shadow is, because a lot of the things you said aren't correct.

Omnifiend
01.22.2012 , 03:15 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Caelrie View Post
I find myself wondering what level your shadow is, because a lot of the things you said aren't correct.
Thanks for elaborating on what isn't correct in his post. Very constructive post, +1 internets.

Assassin/Shadow definitely has its limitations, and you are going to absolutely hate life as an undergeared 50, but it gets better. We have some utility, and personally I think we are the best ball carriers thanks to force shroud/force speed. Can't count the number of times I've gotten to the last flame pit before score, hit those two abilities and blasted past the entire other team as if they weren't there.

It does have a pretty high skill cap, and until they fix this horrible excuse for a UI, looking for procs is a pain in the *** for those of us who are pro and hate taking our eyes off the game field.

Smuggler seems like it would be pretty fun, I play with my buddy and I've always been jealous of the way he can come out of stealth and kill someone, and then re-stealth and heal up with those hots rolling. Other than that, I have no experience with them other than when they **** train me on the opener.

Vallowen
01.22.2012 , 03:41 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Omnifiend View Post
Thanks for elaborating on what isn't correct in his post. Very constructive post, +1 internets.

Assassin/Shadow definitely has its limitations, and you are going to absolutely hate life as an undergeared 50, but it gets better. We have some utility, and personally I think we are the best ball carriers thanks to force shroud/force speed. Can't count the number of times I've gotten to the last flame pit before score, hit those two abilities and blasted past the entire other team as if they weren't there.

It does have a pretty high skill cap, and until they fix this horrible excuse for a UI, looking for procs is a pain in the *** for those of us who are pro and hate taking our eyes off the game field.

Smuggler seems like it would be pretty fun, I play with my buddy and I've always been jealous of the way he can come out of stealth and kill someone, and then re-stealth and heal up with those hots rolling. Other than that, I have no experience with them other than when they **** train me on the opener.
hots? what hots?