Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Trying to decide on a class

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Consular
Trying to decide on a class

sir_tokesalot
12.14.2011 , 04:47 PM | #1
While I'm waiting for my early access invite I'm trying to decide which class to choose. I was a Shaman in WoW as dps at first then a healer at higher levels. I'm leaning towards the Jedi Consular. Anyone have any suggestions?

Kitru
12.14.2011 , 05:32 PM | #2
Do you want to be a melee or ranged? Both consular ACs play like shaman, though each AC plays like a different kind.

Sages are going to be a lot like Elemental or Resto, depending on the spec you choose.
Shadows are going to be a lot like Enhancement Shamans, regardless of spec, even as a tank (think of the enhancement playstyle migrated to a tank; I find it very fun).

Keep in mind, however, that you can't change your AC once you choose so keep your end goal in mind. If you want to level like an enhancement shaman but planned on being a healer in the end game, you're going to be sorely disappointed when you're forced to choose between DPSing and tanking at level 50.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

xBooMBooMx
12.14.2011 , 06:00 PM | #3
If you're looking for something similar to your shammy healer, then consular sage is the class for you!

Vudee
12.14.2011 , 06:05 PM | #4
I was an elemental Shaman for my stint in Wow and compared to SWTOR I would think that best equates to a Sage so end game is either Ranged Caster DPS or Healer.
Vudee Eepeanes
Colonel Imperial Ground Forces (ret.)
SWG Elder
Interpid Server 2003-2007 Respect....

Morina
12.14.2011 , 10:43 PM | #5
I was torn between Jedi Consular Shadow and Sage, and I found it very helpful to go to YouTube and look up game play/pvp videos of the different classes. Even after beta testing, looking at the classes live that way helped me finally make my decision. Good luck and may you find your class soon!
"Oh well, just another boring day saving the universe!"

MithrilSoul
12.15.2011 , 11:31 AM | #6
Very extremely basic difference:

Sage - you are a pure caster. Most of your casting skills have 30m range. Options are 1 healing spec or 2 DPS specs.

Shadow - you are a hybrid melee/caster (roughly 50% each), with stealth. Most of your casting skills are 10m range (so short range), with a couple having the longer 30m range. Options are 1 tank spec or 2 DPS specs.
Varwe, lvl 50 Mirialan Jedi Shadow tank
Chief Officer, Ring of Destiny
recruiting mature, semi-casual players of all classes on Jedi Covenant server
Honor ~ Loyalty ~ Respect