Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The real reason Empire is more popular than Republic

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
The real reason Empire is more popular than Republic

TitanJJ
01.26.2012 , 01:21 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by MisterMT View Post
So many theories, when the truth is out there for all to see...

British accents are sexier than American accents.

End of story.
this is actually exactly why i cannot get into republic characters.
THAT'S NO MOON

Iaius
02.05.2012 , 03:39 AM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by Dezzi View Post
How does that matter? Or even ring true?

The Roman Republic (lets say Cato or Brutus) might have something to say about a Roman Empire (Caesar). Oh wait...

While the Empire was born of the Republic, it was a tangibly different organization.
Yeah, gotta say that's not a good example. The Roman Empire still bore the same cultural continuity as the Republic: it was essentially the enshrinement and canonization of Republican Roman culture. It just happened to be a republic ruled by an emperor, which is essentially what the Galactic Empire was. The Star Wars Adventure Journal #7 is very instructive in this regard: for the average Core Worlder (the most populated region of the galaxy), the Empire was pretty much exactly the same as the Old Republic. Life went on as normal, or was even better than before.

Similarly, under the Roman Empire, the Senate was (unfortunately) disempowered in favor of emperors, although this was a slow process and the Senate still retained appreciable prestige and influence well into the imperial period. Yet while the ruling class was weakened, life for the average citizen was better: the Roman emperors based their power on two things: the military, and popular opinion. They had to keep both of them happy.

You can make philosophical arguments about the difference between liberty and prosperity, and it's a worthy debate, but that doesn't change the fact that these things are the same institutions. The Old Republic became the Empire: both things were still the ancient, lawful government.

In contrast, the Sith Empire is an external, invading power. They are attacking worlds and taking them over . . . for some reason. The Roman/Galactic Emperor changed things with the premise that one person was better suited to rule, and this person ended devastating civil wars (in the case of Palpatine, of course, he started the war, but most people don't know that). The Sith Emperor wasn't elected. He isn't simply changing the philosophy of a government he runs. He's attacking and invading, under the principle that some crazy demonic theocracy knows better.

Well, I can understand why the Sith follow him. They get a share of the power, and can ride his coattails. What do the rank-and-file "Imperials" get out of it? I can understand the real Imperials, the ones in the movies, serving what they think is the lawful government . . . but why are people turning against their own people to serve in some crazy theocratic ruler's invasion?

edit: Also, we know what Cato or Brutus might have said about imperial government because we know what their senatorial successors said, and the Senate tended to be culturally homogenuous and conservative. Thus, a provincial senator like Tacitus can embody republican sentiments about liberty and wise government while at the same time admitting that the republic itself was a broken, unworkable system and that princeps who shared power with the Senate would be the best choice for the future, but the tyrants who didn't were despotic monsters.

Tassia
02.05.2012 , 03:42 AM | #103
The reason I went Imperial is because of purple lightning. Seriously. Purple lightning makes me so happy.

But I play both sides, and I like both sides... JK has terrible voice acting, though. :/
Evil is a point of view.

Redmarx
02.05.2012 , 03:47 AM | #104
Empire has the better looking female gamers.

Republic has all the girls who didn't go to prom.

jugeum
02.05.2012 , 03:48 AM | #105
I think it's because the empire provides free dry-cleaning with extra starch.
"Always do whatever's next." -George Carlin

Johle
02.05.2012 , 05:58 AM | #106
It's simple really:
  • Sith shot lightning
  • Black, red and grey color-palette of the Sith looks like a Ferrai commercial
  • Jedi blow air and throw rocks and pebbles
  • Beige color-palette of the Jedi looks like a Volvo commercial

Chomag
02.05.2012 , 06:04 AM | #107
Read my sig. Or don't and hide behind Malgus' cloak.
Hard mode: Play Republic
Nightmare mode: Play Republic on a pvp server
Are you man enough for the challenge ? Aunt Satele wants YOU.
Republic. No kids allowed.

Force_Capitalism
02.05.2012 , 06:10 AM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Johle View Post
It's simple really:
  • Sith ... a Ferrai commercial
  • Jedi ... a Volvo commercial
Close enough. Server imbalance towards the 'bad' guys is pretty common in MMO's. Everyone wants to be 'cool'. While good guys can be cool, they are also everywhere, in all media, in all culture. They are also not the underdog by default, because; 'The good guys always win' and everyone loves an underdog.

GreyLisa
02.05.2012 , 10:39 AM | #109
I always plays as a somewhat good character in role playing games. I've never managed to play a completely evil person. But in SWTOR I prefer Imperial characters due to the intresting roleplaying opportunity. In most games I can choose to play a good or bad character in a society that is usually more good than bad, there can be bad elements but the society often try to follow good virues. In SWTOR I like playing characters that are actually at their core quite good people that happens to be born in a twisted and crual society and raised to believe that loyalty to that society is their duty above anything else, and that carving for power is the highest virtue. So in SWTOR I usually play lightsided imperial characters, and experience is quite interesting

maxetius
02.05.2012 , 10:45 AM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by GreyLisa View Post
I always plays as a somewhat good character in role playing games. I've never managed to play a completely evil person. But in SWTOR I prefer Imperial characters due to the intresting roleplaying opportunity. In most games I can choose to play a good or bad character in a society that is usually more good than bad, there can be bad elements but the society often try to follow good virues. In SWTOR I like playing characters that are actually at their core quite good people that happens to be born in a twisted and crual society and raised to believe that loyalty to that society is their duty above anything else, and that carving for power is the highest virtue. So in SWTOR I usually play lightsided imperial characters, and experience is quite interesting

This this this. Republic is not conducive to Roleplaying anything but a good guy. For gods sake, the Consular storyline RETCONS some of your dark side decisions while you play.

Pretty pathetic.