Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Is This Self-Sustaining?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Is This Self-Sustaining?

kreliavan's Avatar


kreliavan
12.14.2011 , 04:44 PM | #1
well, since we cant mail thing cross faction I spent a couple minutes making a web so that each side is self sustaining and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. I don't have all of the crafting professions on each side because I don't want to re-level anything in the foreseeable future but do I have all the gathering/mission professions I'll need?

Empire
Sith Warrior-cyber tech, treasure hunting, slicing
Bounty Hunter-armor tech, scavenging, underworld trading
Sith Inquisitor-artifice, archaeology, slicing
Imperial Agent-biochemistry, bio analysis, diplomacy

Republic
Jedi Knight-synthweaving, treasure hunting, scavenging
Trooper-cyber tech, underworld trading, slicing
Jedi Consular-artifice, archaeology, diplomacy
Smuggler-biochemistry, bio analysis, diplomacy
Quod quae habeo creatum habet creatae me

BlueWraith's Avatar


BlueWraith
12.14.2011 , 05:03 PM | #2
I'm not really understanding your goal.

Your Republic side can outfit force users well including consumables, but your empire side does non-force armor and force weapons plus consumables.

kreliavan's Avatar


kreliavan
12.14.2011 , 06:16 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by BlueWraith View Post
I'm not really understanding your goal.

Your Republic side can outfit force users well including consumables, but your empire side does non-force armor and force weapons plus consumables.
my goal is to make sure I'm not missing a gathering/mission profession that I need for each side to be self-sufficient (materials wise)
Quod quae habeo creatum habet creatae me

Planetes's Avatar


Planetes
12.14.2011 , 11:15 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by kreliavan View Post
my goal is to make sure I'm not missing a gathering/mission profession that I need for each side to be self-sufficient (materials wise)
You do realize this is an MMO right? Your time spent gathering those materials does have value and therefore it could be more cost effective to buy some things and gather others. God I've spent too much time in Eve.

KadyeNova's Avatar


KadyeNova
12.15.2011 , 12:50 AM | #5
i thought the same thing. Dang miners with their depressed veld prices....

Yogol's Avatar


Yogol
12.15.2011 , 12:55 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Planetes View Post
You do realize this is an MMO right? Your time spent gathering those materials does have value and therefore it could be more cost effective to buy some things and gather others. God I've spent too much time in Eve.
Yeah, self-sufficency is very, very unporductive : specialisation is much better.

Mann people don't count the price of the materials that they gathered themselves and think ''oh, when I make everything myself, I get everything free''. That's not true : if you use a material for yourself that you could have sold for 500c, then using that material costed you 500c.
Yogol. Rebel without a cause. Often without a clue too.
Founder of The Fruitfly Guild, the one-day-beta-guild for one-day-beta-characters.

KithPine's Avatar


KithPine
12.15.2011 , 12:57 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Planetes View Post
You do realize this is an MMO right? Your time spent gathering those materials does have value and therefore it could be more cost effective to buy some things and gather others. God I've spent too much time in Eve.

But the minerals I mine are free!

Yeah, if you want to be serious at crafting for profit, learn what you can buy cheap, if you just want to be your own personal/guild crafter and enjoy the collecting, it looks like you got your bases covered.


Sometimes I miss the hum of my strip miners.

Vuelhering's Avatar


Vuelhering
12.15.2011 , 01:09 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by kreliavan View Post
Empire
Sith Warrior-cyber tech, treasure hunting, slicing
Bounty Hunter-armor tech, scavenging, underworld trading
Sith Inquisitor-artifice, archaeology, slicing
Imperial Agent-biochemistry, bio analysis, diplomacy
For things like the Sith Inquisitor, why not put everything together so you don't have to mail crap around?
Artifice, Archaeology, Treasure Hunting?

Or is slicing really that big of a deal to you?
Knights who say Ni
Drooga's Pleasure Barge-Repub-PVE-Social-Casual Raiding-Age 20+
Honor and Humor in gaming since 2000
WEBSITERECRUITINGCREWSKILL CHART

Mephane's Avatar


Mephane
12.15.2011 , 02:27 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Yogol View Post
Yeah, self-sufficency is very, very unporductive : specialisation is much better.

Mann people don't count the price of the materials that they gathered themselves and think ''oh, when I make everything myself, I get everything free''. That's not true : if you use a material for yourself that you could have sold for 500c, then using that material costed you 500c.
Well, this may be the thinking of a business person, but most people are not business people. Most people to not calculate the monetary of each of their activities, neither in real life nor in a game, and thus, for those people resources gathered by themselves are free.*

It may very well be more cost-effective to buy something instead of gathering it yourself, but it also may very well be less fun, interesting or fulfilling.

*Most important reason is that the conversion between one's time and money is meaningless in their free time. I know there are people in the real world who go thinking, after fiddling with, say, a video recorder, for an hour, that at work they're paid x amount of money per hour, and thus they just spent x amount of money getting the video recorder to work. But as a matter of fact, most people are not held back by lack of time, but lack of money after all. If they'd hire someone for the same amount to do it, they'd be missing that money somewhere else where they might really need it (like, buying food).
So that calculation only makes sense when money is abundant and time is short, but not when time is fairly sufficient money is short.
Ceterum censeo chat bubbles addenda et party bomb reddendum esse.
---
The Alot is Better Than You at Everything

eeriepanda's Avatar


eeriepanda
12.15.2011 , 02:34 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Mephane View Post
Well, this may be the thinking of a business person, but most people are not business people. Most people to not calculate the monetary of each of their activities, neither in real life nor in a game, and thus, for those people resources gathered by themselves are free.*

It may very well be more cost-effective to buy something instead of gathering it yourself, but it also may very well be less fun, interesting or fulfilling.

*Most important reason is that the conversion between one's time and money is meaningless in their free time. I know there are people in the real world who go thinking, after fiddling with, say, a video recorder, for an hour, that at work they're paid x amount of money per hour, and thus they just spent x amount of money getting the video recorder to work. But as a matter of fact, most people are not held back by lack of time, but lack of money after all. If they'd hire someone for the same amount to do it, they'd be missing that money somewhere else where they might really need it (like, buying food).
So that calculation only makes sense when money is abundant and time is short, but not when time is fairly sufficient money is short.
You made me loving

Money is abundant, time is not only short but in fixed quantity. However... if you value(have fun) gathering everything yourself then the experience is more valuable to you than the result.