Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class Roles

AaronStorm
12.14.2011 , 04:39 PM | #1
Okay I'm not in the game, but I'd like to be ready when I do get in. In order to be ready I'd love to know what class I'm picking. Now the website does have some very simple information for instance it gives some roles to certain classes. The problem is that these roles are fairly simplistic, ie. tank healer dps. What I want to know is for endgame what classes are main healer, off healer, main tank, off tank, melee dps, ranged dps, etc.

I want to go with a healer, and I'm thinking trooper since they do have heal as a role. But are they actually a group healer or are they just going to mostly heal themselves? I hate to compare the game to wow, but in wow there were certain classes that were better at say pvp healing and others that were better at pve healing. Basically can someone give me some more info, specifically about healing, or direct me to where I can find that info?

JakeLightbearer
12.14.2011 , 05:18 PM | #2
BW said they intended for every healer to be viable healing a group and every tank to be viable tanking for a group.

The closest you'll get to having self-only healers are people in healing ACs who choose to spec DPS (since they'll still have a couple of unenhanced heals from the AC itself).

So, yes, if you want to play a healing Trooper, that should be just as good as a healing Smuggler/Consular (min-maxers will inevitably find some differences, but it should at least be viable for all practical purposes).

EvanSnowWolf
12.14.2011 , 05:20 PM | #3
It's really not that different. When I healed in this game, I did it as a Bounty Hunter and a Smuggler and it was pretty much the same. Unlike That Other Game, I didn't do a lot of heal spamming. I healed once every ten seconds and spent the rest of my time as support DPS. It's a good bit of time to finish off that one mob at 10% life that hasn't quite died yet, and I find sometimes that finishing off a weak mob as a healer is more efficient than to keep healing "just to stay topped off" than to just shoot the guy and remove a mob from the pull pool.
"But you know how it is, cows go moo, dogs go woof, and mmo players go the pvp is unbalanced." - Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw.

hooty
12.14.2011 , 08:03 PM | #4
^^^ What they said.

I played all healer types in beta and they were all good.
Tabris Legacy @ The Ebon Hawk
Yes, it is SW(KO)TOR. I like it that way, except when I don't.