Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Wording in Pre-Order

soulcutterx
12.14.2011 , 04:38 PM | #1
Early Game Access will begin on December 13th, 2011, seven days prior to the official launch. Starting December 13, 2011, invitations will be sent throughout the Early Game Access period offering rolling access to the game in the order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code, so be sure to check your email inbox tied to your Star Wars: The Old Republic™ account!

To see if you are eligible to log in to the game for Early Game Access, log in to swtor.com and visit My Account > > Pre-Order.

Direct copy from "?" on SWTOR.com's Pre-Order link

Let me start by saying for the record, I personally feel any early access to the game is just awesome. And I personally Pre-ordered on the 12th of December, literally the day before, not based on needing time before the launch but by reading the "?" on the Early Access button on SWTOR.com's Pre-Order link.

My only concern is why the wording made it seem some auto-mailer would be sending out invites to access the second early access started, and never stop. Rolling access only means that the morning starting at 4 am the first emails go in order of Pre-order, which I completely understand and support. I figured it would take a few hours at least for an auto-mailer to send out so many invites.

I'm wondering, did anyone else Pre-order late based on the wording?

atnasomus
12.14.2011 , 05:12 PM | #2
I think the real issue is that this is not the first game to have a sort of "HEAD START" program. Though, they are having to work against the industry standard of how it is handled. As far as usability, design, and comprehension of the audience is concerned, if you work against what the consumer expects based on previous interactions with similar products, it is up to Bio to prevent any violation of expectation by clearly communicating the differences (and not leading people to believe otherwise).

A lot of people feel like they were misled. Is it because they cannot read, or is it because they have been led to expect otherwise from other "Head Start" type programs from other games?

So maybe Bio could have been more explicit. When you read the little splash page, it really did say preorder for the early access, but when you load up the page by clicking read more, you get more of the details.

However, I didn't know it was actually a matter of days they were referring to when talking about rolling out access, more like a matter of hours. This was all assumption on everyone's part, and this company cannot be held responsible for an assumption I made about a vague wait time. They could be held responsible for going against consumer expectations for other things, but that's not the point of the OP's post.