Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Blaster Rifles for Bounty Hunters

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Blaster Rifles for Bounty Hunters

AlexandreWolf
01.23.2012 , 11:45 PM | #31
Personally I dont have the pistol's I just hate their animations and overall size compared to a BH's HEAVY armor. Its like a tank with a 10mm grenade launcher instead of a main cannon. Alot of the time I wish I could just un-equip it or have a wrist laser equipped. Beyond that what I REALLY want is the wrist launchers and flame throwers to be their all the time not just "appear" then vanish after use.

Oscanis
01.24.2012 , 08:33 AM | #32
In my opinion a rifle would be a nice, but purely "cosmetic" change.
However, powertech is very short range / melee class, we are right before/behind the enemy most of the time (rocket jump, grapple, flame thrower, retractable blade, etc., etc.), so I think vibroswords would be a logical weapon of choice. It's one handed, works well with almost all of our other abilites, practically only the basic attack and Unload are using the blaster itself.
It would be great to have a vibrosword to emphasize the melee-like style, also basic attack/unload can be easily mirrored to for example slash and hack&slash (should work the same as the above mentioned blaster-specific abilities but with vibroswords in melee range).
What do you think folks (and devs if you read this thread)?

Arrys
01.24.2012 , 02:22 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by FastEddieLB View Post
That's a good idea! On the flip side, just make blaster rifles one-handed if they aren't already (from a game mechanics perspective) because only certain advanced classes can use them anyway and none of them dual-wield.
Blaster rifles only take 1 slot. My operative has kaliyo a merc subtype companion geared with a blaster rifle and shield. My operative uses a blaster rifle and has a vibroknife offhand.

Just be thankful powertechs correctly handle a pistol.

Arrys
01.24.2012 , 02:25 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Oscanis View Post
In my opinion a rifle would be a nice, but purely "cosmetic" change.
However, powertech is very short range / melee class, we are right before/behind the enemy most of the time (rocket jump, grapple, flame thrower, retractable blade, etc., etc.), so I think vibroswords would be a logical weapon of choice. It's one handed, works well with almost all of our other abilites, practically only the basic attack and Unload are using the blaster itself.
It would be great to have a vibrosword to emphasize the melee-like style, also basic attack/unload can be easily mirrored to for example slash and hack&slash (should work the same as the above mentioned blaster-specific abilities but with vibroswords in melee range).
What do you think folks (and devs if you read this thread)?
Do you like your heat free attack being a ranged attack. Functionally the most important thing of the main hand weapon is it drives your resource free attack being melee or ranged as the dev's implemented the game.

SI - Lightsaber - melee
Merc - Blaster - ranged
IA - rifle - ranged
etc...

ranged = better

Achromatis
01.24.2012 , 07:09 PM | #35
BH and Troopers really should be able to use all sorts of weapons, even if its purely cosmetic. Plus theyre mirrors so balance aint an issue. My Vanguard especially... WTB shotguns!
Not Meant to Be a Factual Statement

The plural of anecdote is not data

Thargrim
01.24.2012 , 10:30 PM | #36
Yea in this case its mostly cosmetic. If they are having issues just recycle some vanguard animations for rapid shots/whatever else

Niv_Dralshya
01.25.2012 , 05:15 AM | #37
Honestly, I think it's flat out silly that there's so many restrictions on weapon choices in the game, in KOTOR and KOTOR 2 you could use any damn weapon you wanted, lightsaber, vibroblade, vibrosword, pistol, carbine, rifle, sniper rifle, heavy repeater, et cetera.

Why shouldn't every ranged class get access to every ranged weapon practically?, Why can't my trooper use a blaster pistol? He has one right there on his hip. Why can't my Bounty Hunter tote around a Carbine like Boba Fett, or Bossk, Or IG-88, or Dengar, or Almost every bounty hunter we've ever seen in Star Wars? Why can't an Agent use a pistol like a real secret agent would be able to?.

None of it makes any gameplay sense and it's really mostly cosmetics.
North Ferelden is Best Ferelden

InjusticePotato
01.25.2012 , 10:03 AM | #38
Agreed wholeheartedly, It always made no sense to me that bounty hunters were restricted to pistols and agents used rifles. I think it would make so much more sense considering the archetypes the classes are built on if they would switch, BH use rifles and Agents use pistols. The mechanics are already in place for it to work since on the republic side vanguards use rifles and scoundrels use pistols. Why my stealthy agent carries around a blaster as big as he is while stabbing people with a knife is beyond me.
I am Waffle Iron from the guild <Omicron Persei Eight>!

Canuck_TwnTNN
01.25.2012 , 01:52 PM | #39
IMO

Powertech could conceivably use rifles with all the same skills and they could simply be swapable with a slight cooldown of two or three seconds - holster and unholster other weapon- so it can be exploited in combat.

With blaster equiped, Powertech has access to off-hand generators and would not have a penalty at close range using the weapon. (Close range being within 5m).

With rifle equiped, Powertech would lose off-hand bonus, but gain higher DPS advantage. However, once an enemy would be within 5 meters, keeping a rifle equiped would affect blaster damage considerably to the point where it's not a good idea to keep the Rifle out.

This would encourage a Powertech to either get more range by moving, stunning, etc, or swapping for blaster/off-hand, suffering the cooldown (which could be mitigated by a well timed stun) and then continue on.

I would actually think this an elegant solution for the other Blaster only / Riflle only classes.

Dual wielding classes such as the Merc and Gunslinger, would not have access to Riffles however.

Something like that could probably work.

Cheers!

Arrys
01.25.2012 , 02:19 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Niv_Dralshya View Post
Honestly, I think it's flat out silly that there's so many restrictions on weapon choices in the game, in KOTOR and KOTOR 2 you could use any damn weapon you wanted, lightsaber, vibroblade, vibrosword, pistol, carbine, rifle, sniper rifle, heavy repeater, et cetera.
Preventing loot etc... from rolling need on items better for other people and the resulting arguements.

Functionally I think that's the main reason. Call it the hunter factor.