Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Blaster Rifles for Bounty Hunters

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Blaster Rifles for Bounty Hunters

andyjd
03.15.2013 , 02:50 PM | #201
Galaxies had it down, I know this isn't galaxies and people have been chewing me our for comparing but I'm thinking the galaxies crew and bioware should merge to perfect the game. Example, inn galaxies the commando class could use rifles, blasters, heavy weapons, but the quick slots wouldn't work for all of them, I'd say maybe 8 slots could be used while holding a rifle and another 5 could be used for heavy weapons, none could be used while holding a blaster. But we would have a rifle equipped and throw all our grenades/ powershots etc but have the heavy weapon quick slotted do we could pull it out in the middle of a fight and burn them with our flamethrowers.

I agree it would look weird useing a flamethrower while holding a rifle but they could make short rifles only able to be used by bh and smugglers. And its proven rifles can be used one handed as you see the troopers and IA 's running around in circles or away from you trying to get you to miss them. They need to fix that as well

Danetrain
04.07.2013 , 08:53 AM | #202
Just going to keep bumping this until Bioware remembers who the class was based on.

Wind_Chaser
04.07.2013 , 09:15 AM | #203
Quote: Originally Posted by Danetrain View Post
Just going to keep bumping this until Bioware remembers who the class was based on.
Oh? This guy?

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/wp-...adbane_img.jpg

RAZIMx
04.24.2013 , 05:34 PM | #204
The Chiss have the perfect tanking rifles for us even.. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Charric

Quote:
Charrics, while accurate, had shorter ranges than blasters, especially the handgun models. The charric handgun had a power pack that had to be replaced after forty shots and had an effective range of eight meters.

LordExozone
10.13.2013 , 04:37 PM | #205
Quote: Originally Posted by Wind_Chaser View Post
No, this guy:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Boba_Fett

Considering topics about blaster rifles for bountyhunters/powertechs keep popping up since pretty much beta, it's obviously something a significant amount of people want. Customisability is important in MMO's, and being restricted to only one weapon just doesn't make any sense, especially since several other classes do get a pick between different weapons. (example: juggernaut/guardian can wield either a vibrosword or a lightsaber)
It's not just powertechs though, I imagine there are a lot of jedi guardians who would love to use a saberstaff, or assassins who would love to use a single lightsaber without being locked out of abilities.

The argument that one needs to be able to visually identify classes is moot too since the implementation of adaptive cartel armor sets and the class symbols you can now enable above characters. Why weapon options haven't become a legacy unlock yet is beyond me.
Kote! Kandosii sa kar'ta, Vode an.
Mandalore a'den mhi, Vode an. Bal kote, darasuum kote,
Jorso'ran kando a tome. Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad, Vode an.

Gigabix
10.14.2013 , 06:44 AM | #206
I'm totally for Bounty Hunters being able to use / hold rifles and always think back to the very first time we ever saw bounty hunters in Star Wars when Vader rallied some together to help find Solo in The Empire Strikes Back. Bossk, IG88, Boba Fett, Zuckus, Dengar, 4 Lom - They all had rifles.

But I can also see the headache for developers in doing this; all the skills trees, descriptions, icons, dialog etc would need to be changed to allow this, and that would take a lot of time.

So here's hoping... but cant see it happening (

Brunner_Venda
10.14.2013 , 02:25 PM | #207
If they did this, we would have to use vanguard animations for all of out moves.

Stock strike instead of rocket punch, etc

TheronFett
10.15.2013 , 08:30 AM | #208
I'm of two minds about this.

First and foremost, class weapons in MMOs are usually just for aesthetics. They're class-defining. For instance, you always associate warriors with swords, rangers with bows, and mages with staves. I think it's more about identification and holding with lore and archetypes than anything else. Bounty Hunters, by definition, are adaptable and should be able to use a variety of weapons. And when most of us think of a Star Wars BH, we think of Boba Fett. Who, for the record, used a CARBINE (which is shorter than a rifle).

However....

Mercs dual-wield, and obviously they can't do that with rifles. Not to mention that most BH class abilities revolve around using wrist gauntlet weapons, which would be awkward with a 2-handed weapon like a rifle. Vanguards use rifles because it's more in line with what a soldier would use than a pistol.

No, I think pistols are just fine for BH. I like using my flamethrower and wrist rockets...it makes the class feel like a walking armory instead of being restricted to just a single weapon.

Luckeyduckey
10.16.2013 , 11:26 AM | #209
Quote: Originally Posted by TheronFett View Post
I'm of two minds about this.

First and foremost, class weapons in MMOs are usually just for aesthetics. They're class-defining. For instance, you always associate warriors with swords, rangers with bows, and mages with staves. I think it's more about identification and holding with lore and archetypes than anything else. Bounty Hunters, by definition, are adaptable and should be able to use a variety of weapons. And when most of us think of a Star Wars BH, we think of Boba Fett. Who, for the record, used a CARBINE (which is shorter than a rifle).

However....

Mercs dual-wield, and obviously they can't do that with rifles. Not to mention that most BH class abilities revolve around using wrist gauntlet weapons, which would be awkward with a 2-handed weapon like a rifle. Vanguards use rifles because it's more in line with what a soldier would use than a pistol.

No, I think pistols are just fine for BH. I like using my flamethrower and wrist rockets...it makes the class feel like a walking armory instead of being restricted to just a single weapon.
This. The Vanguard's attack are mainly weapon based, and if they are not, they're quick like Gut, and don't involve the weapon. Powertech is never using the weapon, so having a rifle would just be extra weight in the other hand. As much as I love stockstrike, it just wouldn't work. And, right, a soldier wouldn't use a pistol. They're equipped with the Republic's best equipment. They should be heavily armed. Powertechs spend their creds for tech, not blasters. Still would be really fun to have a rifle.

Arlanon
10.23.2013 , 11:24 PM | #210
Jug companion Lt. Pierce uses a Blaster Rifle + Shield

so the "can't put two hands on a rifle with a shield generator strapped to your wrist" argument doesn't count