Space Travel and Loading Screens : A Simple Solution

Cabal

When accessing a hanger we should have two options :

1) Go to Ship

2) Go to Galaxy Map

Option 1 provides the current traveling system with access to our player ship. Option two allows us to travel from one planet surface to another with minimum loading screens, time wasted and faffing about. Option 2 would work like this :

• Go to Starport
  • Go to Hanger
  • Click Galaxy map option
  • Click destination planet
  • Click confirmation of travel
  • *Loading Screen*
  • Arrive at hanger/shuttle on destination planet.

The players that like the current travel system, because of the immersion it provides, still have access. Those of us that like the option of getting to our destination quicker have that option aswell.

When accessing a hanger we should have two options :

1) Go to Ship

2) Go to Galaxy Map

Option 1 provides the current traveling system with access to our player ship. Option two allows us to travel from one planet surface to another with minimum loading screens, time wasted and faffing about. Option 2 would work like this :

• Go to Starport
  • Go to Hanger
  • Click Galaxy map option
  • Click destination planet
  • Click confirmation of travel
  • *Loading Screen*
  • Arrive at hanger/shuttle on destination planet.

The players that like the current travel system, because of the immersion it provides, still have access. Those of us that like the option of getting to our destination quicker have that option aswell.

does 30 seconds of running from your airlock to your captians chair bother you that much?

if the load screens take long enough for you to complain get a better computer.. my laptop takes about 30 seconds to load in any planet/loadscreen i have seen before. maybe 45-1 min to load in new content.. and thats a laptop.. learn some patience...

does 30 seconds of running from your airlock to your captians chair bother you that much?

Its more down to the fact if your changing planet to planet u have to do twice as many pointless steps to reach that place, i get some RP'ers may appriciate it as its a more realistic way to travel in the star wars universe but for a majority its a pointless exercise of having to load 2-3 more times into a pointless area for no actual reason. Ship Destination - Load on Planet thats how it should work or make it an option for people to tick a box or something to do this rather than go to a space sport, go up to a space station, run to whatever hangar, zone up into the hangar run to the ship departure door then arrive on your ship, its just un-needed really.

p.s i realise after u load a planet and use the shuttle etc etc its only a few seconds of black screens not a whole new load into planet but still.... irritating

Edited by thesnk

Yes it does, especially when I have to do it several times in a playing session. This isn't just about the time it takes to actually do nothing. It's about doing something repeatedly that is not needed and that provides no real benifit or enjoyment after repeated exposure. This isn't about having patience but pointing out what I see as an ineffective game mechanic.

if the load screens take long enough for you to complain get a better computer

Strawman argument that is the last redoubt of someone with no answers. Being MCSE and Cisco qualified and having been in the I.T industry since 1989 I know a little about PC's. I have a pretty good system.

Edited by Cabal

I think a lot of it has to do with the clunky asset system they used.. large compressed asset files sorted into categories may be a great organization tools for the development side.

BUT those files load like a computer that hasn't had its hard drive defragged in years. watch your hard drive during the loading and you see that it spend more time decompressing larger files on the fly then it takes to load that file...

They used a "Developers" tool to make the game.... not a "Gamers" tool.... a system optimized to make game development easier... but they forgot to make the "gamer" side of it efficient.

Yes it does, especially when I have to do it several times in a playing session. This isn't just about the time it takes to actually do nothing. It's about doing something repeatedly that is not needed and that provides no real benifit or enjoyment after repeated exposure. This isn't about having patience but pointing out what I see as an ineffective game mechanic.

Strawman argument that is the last redoubt of someone with no answers. Being MCSE and Cisco qualified and having been in the I.T industry since 1989 I know a little about PC's. I have a pretty good system.

then you should know that the load times for this game are not that bad..

i understand about the clunkiness and that i agree with..but i guess my biggest argument for not changing the system is that there are more than enough things they need to fix first before allowing a faster way to travel. I would like to see a few speedy travel things implemented like a fast travel to my ship sure.. but fix other problems first.

this issue of an ineffective game mechanic is a personal preference. to me i dont find it ineffective because a few minutes of my playtime being eaten up by alittle running doesnt hurt my feelings at all.

either way I say if they implement it, it should be after alot of things are changed/fixed first.. this is definitly not a top priority issue.

I have a suggestion instead.. Preload the next location "during" the landing/take-off animations so as to make it seem as tho there is no loading if you wait for the animation. Rather than watch the animation then get hit by the loading screen right after.. That just sucks. I skip the take-off/landing everytime now :(