Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Understanding the Defense and Shield Mechanics for Tanks in PVP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Understanding the Defense and Shield Mechanics for Tanks in PVP

Vesperr
01.25.2012 , 06:29 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by taugrimtaugrim View Post
No, Shield Chance can't push Crit Chance off the table, but the reverse is true.

Based on what Georg said, this is how I imagine the roll table for Crit-vs-Shield looks like...
Thats sad. It also goes against what tanking should be. If shield could push crit off table (okay, not push but move, tanks need extra protection but near-immunity is OP) it would make sense to invest in shield (if it ever gets buffed and be able to shield at least some tech/force attacks) as every DD get high crit, some get as much crit as they can and shield will allow to counter these people, while other tanks will try to stack stamina to be effective against everyone and have their guard more effective but make it a little harder for healers.

Allowing DD to push shield off the table but not vica versa is just plain boring and somewhat stupid as it makes tanking even less effective in PvP.

p.s. Right now I can easily get 55% shield chance on my tankasin in PvP gear, I can get a little more than 60% with 2 piece PvE set. And I was wondering why maras crit me so much and their attacks are shielded so little...
>___<
I used to be a ballcarrier until I got Leg Shot in the knee.
I cant post if my playtime is over? What The Fckk?!

taugrimtaugrim
01.28.2012 , 12:57 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Vesperr View Post
Thats sad. It also goes against what tanking should be.
I didn't make my post to argue that Defense and Shield should be buffed for PVP.

As it is, tanks take a long TTK.

If you are concerned about your survivability, take the mitigation talent, it will help.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

Micksterzone
02.07.2012 , 07:07 AM | #13
Personally, i believe that the way that the tanking works is very well made, except for the Shadow class, which i beleive lacks some mitigation, and im sure others agree.
Proud owner of a standard edition of SWTOR

Maestrodomus
02.08.2012 , 10:27 AM | #14
This sucks for SinTanks, but I still have my mitigation up to 43%, and ya know, you'd be surprised about how many "white" hits there are in pvp. My shield and defenses are going off constantly because most people are idiots or can't manage their resources properly.

Not to mention I'm fully immune to force and tech for 5 sec with a 45 sec cool down.

CygnisJunior
02.09.2012 , 12:22 AM | #15
So in your iron fist build, do you used dps gear or tank gear? (I assume you use a shield generator either way)

Sogar
02.14.2012 , 04:23 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Vesperr View Post
Thats sad. It also goes against what tanking should be.
[...]
p.s. Right now I can easily get 55% shield chance on my tankasin in PvP gear, I can get a little more than 60% with 2 piece PvE set. And I was wondering why maras crit me so much and their attacks are shielded so little...
That's your vision. My main is a shadow and I played it kinetic until last week (I respecced balance for raid reason and well ... too many guardians on my server). I had absolutly no issue with that because I find that a crit proc should crit and not do less damage than a normal hit. You just have to understand that getting more than 40% shielding is useless for PvP.

Tankassins do have less pure mitigation but they have a ton of self healing and as it has been told a purge/5s immunity to force/tech on a 45s CD that everyone wants to have.
Even if they rely more on defense/shield/absorption on PvE than other tanks, those facts still make them viable on PvP.

MaDwurschT
02.16.2012 , 10:18 AM | #17
My current def-stats are the following:

avoidance 23,73%
shieldchance 41,29%
absorb 33,48%

I'm currently considering which mods (mainly enhancements) I should put into my PVP gear. Since all the lvl 58 enhancements in BM gear are crap in my oppinion (giving precision) I replaced them with lvl 56 ones from champion/columi.
The upcoming question is on which attribute one should focus:
avoidance or shield/absorb.

If I'm correct you'd rather recommend avoidance.
The question however is, to which extend.

I tested the following:
absolute number of def-value (percentage of avoiding an attack)
346 (10,42%)
difference of 56 giving 0,0232% per Point
402 (11.72%)
difference of 46 giving 0,02196% per Point
448 (12,73%)
difference of 34 giving 0,02089% per Point
482 (13,44%)

The conclusion is obvious and I guess everyone recognized that on his own stats. The value behaves asymptotic to a certain number (don't know which it is in this case, but it should be around 30%).

But that, however, should be considered aswell. Of course avoidance in general (thanks to your post!) seems alot more benefitial due to the rolling system, but I'm not sure until when the systematic advantage of avoidance can compensate this loss of percentage points per absolute point - since shield/absorb percentage is way easier to boost (means with less absolute points).

In addition, another thought is brought to the table:
Which priority has the opponent DD, surge or crit-chance? Since they nerfed surge a little there might be a lot people focusing rather on crit-chance, which makes avoidance stronger again.
If however the DD concentrates on surge (and I still know a lot of DDs doing so) shield/abosrb might not be that ineffective (less crit -> higher percentage of non-crit dmg -> morge dmg can be affected by shield/absorb).

(sorry for potential english fails )

Regards
Donknatterton - Alles Hutten Ausser Mutti - Republik - Jar'Kai Sword
Streams & VoDs unserer RBG-Spiele auf www.twitch.tv/phrakk

Elyons
02.16.2012 , 11:15 AM | #18
Thank you!! Been leveling a Shadow Tank and I think this may help with my PvP knowledge a bit. I also should thank you for that post from George - knowing that crit chance can perhaps eliminate shielding against a target if the proper buffs are used could be extremely helpful in PvP with my Gunslinger.
Kaserai:Jedi Sentinel Mahddi:Smuggler Scoundrel
Begeran Colony

taugrimtaugrim
02.17.2012 , 03:28 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by MaDwurschT View Post
I'm currently considering which mods (mainly enhancements) I should put into my PVP gear. Since all the lvl 58 enhancements in BM gear are crap in my oppinion (giving precision) I replaced them with lvl 56 ones from champion/columi.
The upcoming question is on which attribute one should focus:
avoidance or shield/absorb.

If I'm correct you'd rather recommend avoidance.
Actually, for PVP, you're much better off swapping for DPS mods for your 4-pc of PVP tanking gear, and going with DPS gear for your remaining slots.

I do not recommend stacking Avoidance or Shield for PVP. For PVE, yes definitely, for PVP, no, because you don't get enough from it.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

DalrisThane
03.10.2012 , 09:58 PM | #20
Deleted. No point. Everyone is TLDR these days. +See Sig.
Iím an old dude that's old school. Emotion + Hyperbole > Logic + Facts. I'd rather be a Drama King than a Human Computer. Sorry...