Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Empire = Alliance

LordChucks
01.21.2012 , 12:41 AM | #11
I had a similar train of thought at first, especially as a Bounty Hunter, but after awhile it seemed like every Imperial quest became killing the rebel scum, poisoning the locals, exterminating something, enslaving escapees, etc etc.

The Sith Empire here is pretty blatantly evil. Which is a shame really, because as the lore/story/website tried to explain that many of it's citizens were just born into an overly harsh/strict society and not necessarily evil.

I would have loved it if the Sith Empire was presented as a little more prone to military or combative resolution to problems, a little more "ruthless" for lack of a better word, without being quite so mustache-twirling, dog-kicking, downright evil.

In that regard, I think Malgus is one of the best questgiver NPCs in the game (as it comes to his flashpoint briefings). Never is he petty/evil, but frequently our orders are quite harsh.

Apax
01.21.2012 , 12:46 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Wrevan View Post
Fact: Republic was never the Good Guys.

In fact it was the Jedi's relentless persecution of the "Dark" offshoot of their religion that's led to this entire mess for hundreds of millennia, not unlike how Earth religions treat their spin-offs.

Surely they could've found some way to accommodate Ajunta Pall and his philosophies.
However, for this game, it has been made very clear by the developers that the Sith are the evil faction. That is not to say that every player in that faction is playing an evil character, but they are on the evil team. If you're looking to play on what is classified as the "good guy" team, then it's the Republic or nothing.

The Republic certainly has its share of issues, but on a philosophical level they don't hold a candle to the evil nature of the Sith. Compared to them the Republic is "the good guys".

I don't agree with the original posters claim of "Empire = Alliance". The Horde had some serious evil (the Forsaken and their dark little twisted plots) within its rank and conveniently never managed to be aware of it despite how utterly unbelievable that ignorance was.
According to James Ohlen, Game Director: "We're also going to be listening to the community, and seeing what they want to see in the game. We always are listening to the community; you are the people who decide what kind of changes we need to make to the game. Because this game is for you guys."

westraz
01.21.2012 , 12:47 AM | #13
yes yes, we seen the post 100 times ToR= WoW in every way only WoW is EQ in every way ....and so on and so on tell we go back in time to cave men playing with rocks, every one just wont to see WoW or Warhammer, and not see what is defront, look wider sok?
I have bad spelling do to my being learning disabled , the is just so I do not get asked "why are you spelling so bad?" and I don't wont to have to get asked 100 times, and is in NO way meant to hurt any one feelings after all.. IT is about me!

Mordecay
01.21.2012 , 12:53 AM | #14
i am atm leveling my first alt that is on empire side of the barricade. tbh as sith marauder i do feel like all my options are limited to a) kick the dog b) shoot the dog c) shoot the dog and laugh over his dead corpse :/ was expecting bit more of a harsh society with militaristic structure and direct approach to solving problems instead it feels like a bunch of sadists with lots of guns and bombs not saying i don't have fun but tbh dark side choices on republic's sage quest line seemed more dramatic and with more meaning then anything i did so far as sith :/
Madpolany - lvl50 Jedi Sage - Luca Sene EU

Dire-Wolf
01.21.2012 , 12:55 AM | #15
World of Warcraft

Alliance = good guys, suck at pvp, not as much dev attention, lower population then opposing faction

Horde = bad guys, great at pvp, devs favor them, greater population then opposing faction

Stat Wars the Old Republic

Republic = good guys, suck at pvp, not as much dev attention, lower population then opposing faction

Empire = bad guys, great at pvp, greater population then opposing faction

Alliance = Republic
Horde = Empire

Apax
01.21.2012 , 12:58 AM | #16
On a side note, it's a little funny that this thread has been moved twice now. From General to Spoilers to Story and Lore.
According to James Ohlen, Game Director: "We're also going to be listening to the community, and seeing what they want to see in the game. We always are listening to the community; you are the people who decide what kind of changes we need to make to the game. Because this game is for you guys."

Biggrouse
01.21.2012 , 01:00 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Dire-Wolf View Post
World of Warcraft

Alliance = good guys, suck at pvp, not as much dev attention, lower population then opposing faction

Horde = bad guys, great at pvp, devs favor them, greater population then opposing faction

Stat Wars the Old Republic

Republic = good guys, suck at pvp, not as much dev attention, lower population then opposing faction

Empire = bad guys, great at pvp, greater population then opposing faction

Alliance = Republic
Horde = Empire
horde wasn't evil

there were more alliance than horde

alliance always won on most of the servers i played on

MikeFL
01.21.2012 , 01:12 AM | #18
Yeah I would say that Empire is pretty easily the most "evil" faction, but I would justify this to a point.

The Imperial military works differently from than the Republic. The Republic's goals are to promote unity and foster an environment were planets and factions can join the Republic. To that end, they need to ensure that their military endeavors follow a stricter code of moral conduct. So you get a more typical 20th/21st century military vibe from that.

The Empire is a different type of system. Rather than focusing on micro-level stuff like individual planets, people, etc., the Emperor/Dark Council/Imperial military leaders focus on a macro-level strategy of conquest. Their goal is to conquer and achieve victory as efficiently as possible, regardless of what "efficiently" means. Think of it this way: the Empire is trying to conquer much galaxy...hundreds of planets, plus defeating the Republic. Rather than getting bogged down on one world or with one issue, they will resort to "evil" tactics to basically sucker-punch everyone into fearing and obeying them or else face destruction.

The Republic might wage a long campaign in order to establish superiority and in the long run create a place safe for Republic ideals. The Empire might just nuke the place and be done with it, knowing that no further retaliation will come from there.

So yes, the Empire is more morally "evil" because of their tendency to disregard life and use more brutal tactics...but ultimately, its just a different system with a different ideology. But, I can't remember where I heard this in the game, but one Imperial officer said something to the extent of: "it might be brutal and harsh, but if it wins the war then it is worth it in the end. The longer this war goes on the worse it is for everyone. But if brutal and horrifying acts win the war sooner, then the ends justify the means." Not an exact quote but you get the idea.

I hesitate to use this analogy but, think of WWII in particular the Japenese and American conflict. The Japanese certainly used much more brutal and devastating tactics in an attempt to win the war: kamikaze, killing medics (which at the time was and still is considered immoral) poisoning water wells, etc. The American forces generally maintained a higher degree of moral code, albeit with a cost of being susceptible to Japanese tactics. Its a similar situation with Republic vs. Empire.
Praxys - 50 Sorcerer Nylost - 50 Sniper Sythion - 32 Marauder Rexxel - 25 Mercenary
Kilaeon - 32 Guardian Fordan - 25 Vanguard

AnubisXy
01.21.2012 , 01:20 AM | #19
The Sith Empire can generally be summed up with a quest on Dromund Kaas.

Slowly and painfull kill the escaped slaves (Dark Side points!)

Kill the escaped slaves a bit quicker (Light Side points!)

To compare, the Sith Empire is at least as "evil" as the Forsaken's Royal Apothecary Society; in other words, they're pretty clearly the bad guys in SWtOR.
"He doesn't use the Force. He just uses... force."

EvanSnowWolf
01.21.2012 , 03:57 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Biggrouse View Post
horde wasn't evil

there were more alliance than horde

alliance always won on most of the servers i played on
Yes. Yes they were. Except for the Tauren, the Horde are bastards.
"But you know how it is, cows go moo, dogs go woof, and mmo players go the pvp is unbalanced." - Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw.