Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best And Worst Class Story?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Best And Worst Class Story?

Excise
01.24.2012 , 12:58 AM | #121
Just to add, I played the IA with a similar personality as you. Very by-the-book. I also ended up fairly neutralish (but that's fine). I did alright with affection on Kaliyo, though. While she didn't like me sucking up to authority, she liked whenever I happily agreed to go Kill X Whatevers.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the -1's so long as you're still getting at least a moderate amount of affection. Even if you don't, gifts will solve that problem.

Grell_
01.24.2012 , 01:11 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Excise View Post
While it's cool that you like the JC story better than the IA's, I don't think it's fair to insult others who feel the opposite.

Personally, I like the IA story much better than the JC story (only through the Chapter 1 on the JC story though). That doesn't make me sheep.
I am not insulting those who feel the opposite I am insulting those who just parrot the line "I hear IA is the nest JC is the worst" without playing either.

Personally I found the disconnect of playing a loyal Imperial Agent too much, I suppose part of the enjoyment could have come from playing that role and the realisation /response to them jerking you around so much (it just annoyed me though).

As I mentioned in my post, generally I think there is more enjoyment to be had from the anti-hero, ie playing a light side SW, a DS JC, etc. IA for me felt to contrived/ hipster forced into an anti-hero role that I did not at all want to play the character as. My suspension of disbelief was fighting the plot too much. Someone role-playing a snarky, rebellious IA wouldnt have had that though.

winraxj
01.24.2012 , 01:15 AM | #123
Best: Trooper.

Worst: Consular.
There is no death, there is the force.

Excise
01.24.2012 , 01:26 AM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Grell_ View Post
As I mentioned in my post, generally I think there is more enjoyment to be had from the anti-hero, ie playing a light side SW, a DS JC, etc. IA for me felt to contrived/ hipster forced into an anti-hero role that I did not at all want to play the character as. My suspension of disbelief was fighting the plot too much. Someone role-playing a snarky, rebellious IA wouldnt have had that though.
Weird. I played a by-the-book IA and had no problems. To each their own, I suppose.

Tankshoes
01.24.2012 , 01:32 AM | #125
SW story was actually amazing. Was a lot of twisting and back stabbing and thirst for power.

Then I played BH and having just finished it, I can tell you it's boring. If you're looking for a story that is tells the player to kill a bounty, then the player goes and kills it, then this is perfect for you, because that's as much as you'll get. There were one or two set ups where I got ambushed, but honestly, I found it weak.

On the upside, Blizz is an amazing character. Minor spoiler alert, but when he tells you to close your eyes and hold out your hands for a gift he's made, it's brilliant.

SoraQuasar
01.24.2012 , 07:27 AM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Jigsaw-Complex View Post
So i've noticed a phrase come up over an over in this thread: "If you go ls/ds"

As of now, LS and DS are completely useless. All you get is some ok gear, a mount, and a pet. I played through the JK story as LS because that's what my paladin/obi wan like character would have done. I made DS decisions like choosing the romance with Kira because i think it's BS that a good honest Jedi can't love somebody, but that's another story.

I was playing through my Trooper and i was on Taris. Dorne, the healer you get, came on holo and told me the imp officer i had at gun point was a monster. She's a by the book kind of person and explain that it would be best to kill him. Now, i was going to hit LS and let him live, when i realized that's not what I would have done; that's what an indoctrinated robot would have done. My Trooper stands up to General Garza's bs because it isn't right to kill civis, it isn't right to use genocidal tech from the imps to kill our enemies, and it isn't right to lie to people who are laying their lives on the line to help me when they don't have to.

So I shot the jerk in the face, and with that single shot, i stopped caring about LS/DS.

I started playing the story for me and my character, and that's what everybody needs to do
Same as i did since lvl 20 with my IA, in some points i hade to kill someone for LP and let them live and serve the empire for DP. which for me as an IA, that is about using my BRAIN, made me just earn LP since it was kinda the stupid way around to keep that person/technology [or the other way around] the wise thing to do so it wont back stab you later on. though i did go to lvl IV DS since i like being evil. but some choices i had to take and on the way gain some LP. I really stopped caring much about them anymore. as I play my IA [now lvl 50 anyway], i like being smart and not rackless about anything. if there is a chance that someone is lieing his way to just survive and promiss he will work for the empire, i dont take the baite, i kill it. no loose ends.

overall, the IA is one of the classes people should check out, it has an amazing storyline and a very good bunch of choices. sometimes i found myself sitting in a convo for a long time and just thinking what should i choose and if its the choice i am willing to live with.
the end game is freaking awesome, and i really cant wait to get more in the future expensions that will wrap more of the early choices i made.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Dark Legion

CapitaFK
01.24.2012 , 08:38 AM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by Grell_ View Post
Next I tried a JConsular which according to the forum sheep is supposedly the worst story.
Sheep? I felt it was genuinely boring.

Ahknorath
01.24.2012 , 08:39 AM | #128
From what I seen companions make or break early gameplay, for me personally, keeping Vette in the shock collar led some funny responses from her, so far upto Nar Shadaa I'm loving the smart mouth talk, story personally is decent, Vette is only thing keeping me into it. Khem Val is on par as well, I like when I tell him to eat people, but the class missions just didn't catch my attention. Mako is interesting but the story around bounty hunters just didn't pull me into the whole thing. Kaliyo and the IA storyline are both written absolutely brilliantly, I never finished act one but the agent story has more twists and turns than a rollercoaster, admittedly some are expected but nonetheless, it provides high entertainment points.

For the republic, trooper out of act one just completely fell apart, the missions feel like they were done in one week developmental window, and the lack of any interesting companions just make it even more depressing. Smuggler unplayed personally but I hear good things about the companions. I personally enjoyed Consular but the companions surrounding the class just completely threw the character under the bus and made everyone hate it, having Qyzen Fess as a companion for all of act one made the game feel like such a grind, then the other companions were stereotypically dull(Zenith and Iresso personally). Lastly the JK, the story wasn't entirely awesome, you could tell what happens next without needing to guess(yep, he's a sith that's trying to manipulate me, now I have to kill him), and companions didn't really make anything feel interesting.

I think JKs act 3 however is so far the best I've seen, admittedly I'm a Republic main so can't say for Empire.

RoadtoArkham
01.24.2012 , 12:08 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by CapitaFK View Post
Sheep? I felt it was genuinely boring.
Some people are unable to respect the opinions of another.

I'd really like to see some of the class stories advance even farther in expansions. Hell, if you play the IA right
Spoiler

The Knight feels too powerful for me...truly like he is the only competent person in the Order. I go Darkside just because I'm incessantly irritated by NPCs.

As for everyone complaining about Companion Affection, you shouldn't change yourself to please another. That's not how you build a healthy relationship
Hail to the King, baby.

nisallik
01.24.2012 , 12:23 PM | #130
Leveled a Jedi Knight and Trooper to 50. Consular is 31 right now.

Jedi Knight class story feels like playing KotOR 3, pretty much a direct continuation of the plot built up from the Revan novel. Enjoyed it a lot!

Trooper has a very good Act 1/Act 3 story. Very interesting mechanics thrown in for their class quests. Act 2 felt very slow paced, but I enjoyed the ending of it.

Consular class story started off pretty slow, but I'm starting to want to know what happens next -- it's getting pretty exciting! I'm only near the end of Act 1 right now.