Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

[LORE] Lightsaber Construction, Color Meaning, and Crystals

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
[LORE] Lightsaber Construction, Color Meaning, and Crystals

dazednconfuzed's Avatar


dazednconfuzed
12.18.2013 , 07:06 AM | #31
Quote:
"Toward the end of the Old Republic era, Ilum was the primary source of most crystals used for lightsabers; this dramatically limited the color range, as the crystals harvested from Ilum produce only blue and green blades."
―Tionne Solusar
This is why Jedi primarily use green and blue lightsabers. It has nothing to do with their 'class' although this isn't the first time I've heard of saber crystals being assigned to a specific role in an RPG. I recall one where the crystal was used to demonstrate your alignment, for example.

Also, dual-phase sabers are not all silver. Gantoris made himself one on Yavin in the novel I, Jedi. His was violet. Corran Horn laster attempted to duplicate this with, I believe, a green blade. According to Wookiepedia, Vader also owned a dual-phase saber, so apparently, they come in red too.

So far as I could tell from I, Jedi, the dual-phase bit is part of the lightsaber's construction, not an aspect of the crystal.
Jedi Master Kai'sinn. Not only evil hides in the shadows.
Jedi Master Tzathali. Korriban/Tython Exchange Program.
Major Dulne. Nothing will stop Havoc Squad, Sir.

Bejarid's Avatar


Bejarid
12.18.2013 , 01:27 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by dazednconfuzed View Post
Also, dual-phase sabers are not all silver. Gantoris made himself one on Yavin in the novel I, Jedi. His was violet.
Was actually first seen in Dark Apprentice, and I believe Gantoris' lightsaber shifted colors when he changed the phase for length - think it became orange when extended? Haven't read the Jedi Academy trilogy in years. The dual-phase construction of a lightsaber is, as I understand it, linked partly to how many crystals are used in the construction but also to how they're cut and aligned to the emitter. I seem to also recall that anotehr unique property of dual-phase blades is that they were more resistant to the shut-off effect of cortosis, as I believe was referenced in the Hand of Thrawn duology.

But, yeah, more agreement that the colors of a lightsaber being in any way indicative of the wielder's alignment or focus is bogus. Also, special properties imbued upon a weapon via the crystal is crap - only exception I can think of is when Anakin Solo used a Yuuzhan Vong lambent crystal in his lightsaber which, coupled with latent yorik coral implants, allowed him to sense the Yuuzhan Vong through the Force where normally they were invisible.

GameGeekRob's Avatar


GameGeekRob
12.18.2013 , 07:54 PM | #33
I'm trying to rationalize the use of a white lightsaber crystal on my Miralukan Jedi Shadow within the lore.

My Jedi has a strong sense of duty and a black and white sense of morality, probably because of the Miralukan ability to view a person's aura in the force. White seems to make sense to me as a Miraluka would not be able to perceive light and color as someone with eyes would (though I believe they can discern color and light based on wavelengths and whatnot, but that's another discussion), so symbolism of color might be more important than visual appearance. As a symbol, I thought white fit with his idea of good and evil, as if Light was "purifying" Darkness when he takes out an enemy of the Jedi Order.

But if white crystals are really rare, I don't see my Jedi going out of his way just to get a crystal of a certain color. He would be to focused on his duties. However, I saw that the Imperial Knights almost exclusively used white lightsaber crystals, almost as if there was a source of abundant supply of them. Does anyone know where the Imperial Knights got their crystals from?

I was possibly considering other options that would seem more practical. I'm currently looking at using a Copper (close to the traditional Shadow coloration), Derelict Purple (Not really bright, so good for stealth with Crystals seemingly available on Ilum), or Mint Green (something that would be very common.)

Tioranach's Avatar


Tioranach
06.11.2014 , 06:08 AM | #34
when Qui gon jinn went to get his crystal the one he connected with is red. It was taken by another student tough. The colors are not at all specific to the light or dark side of the force but the individual person. Red for instance is for those who have deep seated emotions, in the case of the sith who's powers are based of such strong emotions its only natural. As for the rainbow lightsaber, only one ever existed and it belonged to the Exile, it changed color based on which side of the force she attuned to.

I have also heard people complain about the black lightsaber or darksaber. It is in fact a cannon color. The sunriders possed two a saber and a whip.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
06.11.2014 , 06:42 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by GameGeekRob View Post
I'm trying to rationalize the use of a white lightsaber crystal on my Miralukan Jedi Shadow within the lore.

My Jedi has a strong sense of duty and a black and white sense of morality, probably because of the Miralukan ability to view a person's aura in the force. White seems to make sense to me as a Miraluka would not be able to perceive light and color as someone with eyes would (though I believe they can discern color and light based on wavelengths and whatnot, but that's another discussion), so symbolism of color might be more important than visual appearance. As a symbol, I thought white fit with his idea of good and evil, as if Light was "purifying" Darkness when he takes out an enemy of the Jedi Order.

But if white crystals are really rare, I don't see my Jedi going out of his way just to get a crystal of a certain color. He would be to focused on his duties. However, I saw that the Imperial Knights almost exclusively used white lightsaber crystals, almost as if there was a source of abundant supply of them. Does anyone know where the Imperial Knights got their crystals from?

I was possibly considering other options that would seem more practical. I'm currently looking at using a Copper (close to the traditional Shadow coloration), Derelict Purple (Not really bright, so good for stealth with Crystals seemingly available on Ilum), or Mint Green (something that would be very common.)
The lightsabers used by the Imperial Knights were created with synthetic crystals i.e. artificial crystals that are usually constructed with the power of the dark side to produce a red-blade. However by omitting that method and through special manipulations during the creation process or on the crystal itself any colour can be created, including white.

So yeah, this is not the sort of crystal that you hunt down in a cave, it is not natural, it is the sort you create yourself through a special technique. Maybe this technique has been passed down by the Jedi's Miralukan ancestors?

StarSquirrel's Avatar


StarSquirrel
06.11.2014 , 09:41 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
The lightsabers used by the Imperial Knights were created with synthetic crystals i.e. artificial crystals that are usually constructed with the power of the dark side to produce a red-blade. However by omitting that method and through special manipulations during the creation process or on the crystal itself any colour can be created, including white.

So yeah, this is not the sort of crystal that you hunt down in a cave, it is not natural, it is the sort you create yourself through a special technique. Maybe this technique has been passed down by the Jedi's Miralukan ancestors?
Jaina Solo did hers artificially and came out with violet. Luke made his green. I don't think there is anything special in the creation of a synthetic crystal (Think Shadow Academy) and it seems to be a pretty simple process any science major could cook up. Maybe the ancient Sith or Jedi had a special technique, but the Imperial Knights might just have done what Jaina did (considering she was the likely founder of their organization in some way).
"We're more than just a people or an army, aruetii. We're a culture. We're an idea. And you can't kill ideasóbut we can certainly kill you."

Mandalore the Destroyer

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
06.11.2014 , 09:45 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by StarSquirrel View Post
Jaina Solo did hers artificially and came out with violet. Luke made his green. I don't think there is anything special in the creation of a synthetic crystal (Think Shadow Academy) and it seems to be a pretty simple process any science major could cook up. Maybe the ancient Sith or Jedi had a special technique, but the Imperial Knights might just have done what Jaina did (considering she was the likely founder of their organization in some way).
Probably, just commune with the Force and all that. But where these colours random or deliberate?

StarSquirrel's Avatar


StarSquirrel
06.11.2014 , 12:17 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Probably, just commune with the Force and all that. But where these colours random or deliberate?
Jaina actually used the force to carefully craft her crystal as it grew over several hours. As for color, I think hers was intentional. She used very precise chemical mixtures to form her crystal, likely forming the exact type she wanted with the color she desired.

The crafting she did in the making of her crystal was more focused on giving it an ideal shape to maximize efficiency (something she is well known for appreciating)

I'm not sure on the specifics of how Luke crafted his.
"We're more than just a people or an army, aruetii. We're a culture. We're an idea. And you can't kill ideasóbut we can certainly kill you."

Mandalore the Destroyer

SirUrza's Avatar


SirUrza
06.11.2014 , 03:14 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by StarSquirrel View Post
I'm not sure on the specifics of how Luke crafted his.
I seem to remember through perhaps radio drama or scripts that Luke's was created through a lot of trial and error.
ị█ị██████ịịΘịị█ị{▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)