Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is act 2 of the inquisitor storyline a bad joke?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Is act 2 of the inquisitor storyline a bad joke?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Stevefin
01.23.2012 , 02:22 AM | #41
The follwers you get in the SI are way more interesting than most of the story and in a way I find the only reason to push the story through.

act one was slow but at the end things started to pick up...only to be thrown off a cliff to 'eat ghosts for power'. Getting your ancestors lightsabre from the cheater with just a few choice words and your pure presence of fear was quiet an achievement and really did say how far you have gone since the slave days.

Lexandar
01.23.2012 , 06:50 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Karkais View Post
Nope doesn't make any more sense than before.
Spoiler

Quote:
What exactly was corrupt in Zash's work? Hell, in SW story Baras described how the one-time emperor sucked his advisors dry to get stronger, and that was ok, what Zash did was not? (Even if we eventually find some valid reason for Thanaton to wage war on player character, it doesnt change the fact that Thanaton never adequtely explained why he was doing it.)
Yeah except the Emperor's the Emperor and Zash is a petty lord. Who knows maybe Thanaton disapproved of the Emperor's actions, assuming he knew about them. But most people wouldn't dare call their boss up on leaving the office at 16h30.

I imagine that Zash's work at preserving immortality and rummaging through tombs and rituals probably pissed him off to no end.

For the reason why he singlemindedly hunts you down, see above.

mblizzard
01.23.2012 , 07:05 AM | #43
Trooper had a pretty solid story overall, though act 2 was the weakest of the 3 acts.

Karkais
01.23.2012 , 08:00 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I wonder how people would change the storyline to make more sense?
All right, firstly in my opinion Zash is more developed than thanaton and theres also some companion quests involving Zash, so lets concentrate on Thanaton.

Ill put in spoilers just in case:

Spoiler
"What is a Sith? Over time, the beliefs have changed, but one constant has remained. The imposition of one's will on the force, on the environment surrounding one, on the galaxy itself." - Darth Wyyrlok III

Shimmerstrike
01.23.2012 , 08:34 AM | #45
Are you serious with this thread? Could you at least say "in my opinion", cause I think what you say is utter rubbish. What's wrong with altering force-ghost, how does that differ from lifting rocks with mental power and deflecting lazer with a lightsaber? That's simply a silly thing to say. You won't get six mass-effect quality storylines in one game. Of course, people say that storyline sucks too, and dragon age, and WoW etc. It's all about opinion.

Lexandar
01.23.2012 , 08:34 AM | #46
1. The primary motivation stated by Thanaton is because the SI killed Zash. Which is illegal in the Empire (see Xalek in the Academy, the Korriban quests, the light side option to the Tagging quests on DK among many others). This is compounded by the fact that Zash openly advertised to everyone on DK that the SI murdering her with awesome powers in a vision - because she expected to be that SI.

2. We don't get an (ingame) explanation why the Emperor, the Dark Council or why Baras is so strong. We just have to assume they have an inherent power, as would befit the top echelon of magocracies. If anything your immunity to Thanaton is more adequately explained than most other powers: He doesn't understand your relationship with ghosts because Kallig/Ergast didn't give him the Prima strategy guide. As such he can't beat you but then neither can you him until you do the Fedexing.

Not all of the Dark Council actually like Thanaton - Ravage being the clear example. Thanaton comes off as a pompous dick which would rub most people the wrong way. Also, the Dark Council don't react to you because you bested Thanaton, its actually stated as the reason for your ascension. After all, why would you want a subpar Sith Lord on the Dark Council?

3. Your suggestions aren't really viable - they themselves don't have a context in which to make sense and would already spell out the obvious. Hell Thanaton's fear is already palpable by Corellia when he freaks out and runs away. What else do you want him to say?

Also Thanaton would've killed Zash if he could. He was basically looking for an excuse to do it but none came his way. This was stated before you walk into his trap.

tausra
01.23.2012 , 08:39 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I wonder how people would change the storyline to make more sense?
I would do the following:
We kill Zash, going from slave to full Sith Lord.

The Darths recognize the power of the SI, and the SI recognizes opportunity that is being presented. The entire second act is the SI playing the "Game", currying favor with the Council all while pitting them against each other. Helping you along the way are the spirits of Sith Lords, who use their vast experience to guide your strikes and moves.

Thanaton, the traditionalist, recognizes you carving a power base from the chaos and formally calls a Kaggath (by blowing up the Nar Shaddaa cult). The third Act should be exercising that power to strike at Thanaton and his underlings. In the end you face off with Thanaton after orchestrating a situation where he has no other option than to come directly for you. The player, who has no intention of fighting fair, embarrasses Thanaton in front of the Council before executing him.
"Sith, children of Sith, warriors everywhere, I declare a new Empire, open to all who long for conquest, freedom from inhibition and the right to follow their passions." -Emperor Malgus

Uruare
01.23.2012 , 10:41 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Shimmerstrike View Post
Are you serious with this thread? Could you at least say "in my opinion", cause I think what you say is utter rubbish. What's wrong with altering force-ghost, how does that differ from lifting rocks with mental power and deflecting lazer with a lightsaber? That's simply a silly thing to say. You won't get six mass-effect quality storylines in one game. Of course, people say that storyline sucks too, and dragon age, and WoW etc. It's all about opinion.

You can have this moldy corndog and a bowl of water for dinner, or this wonderful pizza and a soda of your choice, or a steak grilled to your liking and herbed butter on a lightly seasoned artisan roll with mashed potatos, or a savory vegetarian stirfry with a light late harvest wine and a robust dinner salad.

Chances are pretty good you're not gonna pick the moldy corndog and the bowl of water as your favorite on such a list. Factors of quality do not all hang on matters of opinion and preference.

The inquisitor storyline is badly executed and amateurish in its delivery. Whether you're cool with that or not, or like it or not, is a matter of opinion.

Whether it is a well told story in the fashion of widely agreed-upon benchmarks, contrasts and comparisons that can be made right in this very game with other class storylines?

That is not a matter of opinion. It is, instead, very similar in its nature of contrast to the food presented above.

There are right ways and terrible, horrible, no-good very bad ways to tell an interactive story, and similarly, to make a corndog. There are frightfully right and wrong ways to engage your audience, execute concepts and accentuate the core story direction...quite similarly to how there are such differentiations in so much as serving water with a corndog.

This story is the quality equivalent of a moldy corndog and a bowl of room-temperature water being foisted off on a player while, by contrast, other class storylines, in terms of quality, presentation, direction and choice-engagement of the player, are (so far for my experience) consistently better in the quality of being what they are and being told in a fashion that engages the player in ways that at least feel meaningful.

I'm not straw-manning here; it really is like a moldy corndog. It could be a wonderful corndog offered with some splendidly chilled citrus water. It could be a much higher quality of what it is...than what they gave us in this release version.

You can like it all you want. You're also perfectly free to, as a matter of opinion and preference, enjoy whatever you enjoy, and power to you if you enjoy the storytelling equivalent of a moldy corndog being on the same menu as so much good to great other stuff.

But the corndog will still be moldy, and nobody will be wrong to call shenanigans on the fact that the sith inquisitor storyline starts off doing a rather good job; Chapter 1 is quite good, and promises to get better!...and essentially lies to you in that seeming.

Then your choices evaporate and everything that you're presented with comes in the form of dictation that flies in the face of vital elements of player interactivity left, right and center.

This is not an interactive storyline past chapter 1. It's a story dictation; you will go here and you must do this and you're not even going to get meaningful choices on how you go about it let alone options between two paths to get to the same necessarily arbitrary goal.

There is one set of railroad tracks. Off you go then. And on the way, the story content will be delivered in such a manner as that you will be emotionally encouraged to divorce yourself from even the typically sought-after levels of emotional engagement authors and directors aspire to hook an audience with.

Why should I care? This question is vital; absolutely vital. Why should I care in this storyline about Thanaton at all? Because he's got nothing better to do with his life than obsess over petty, illogical malice towards my character based on handwaved and nebulous, poorly defined 'traditions'?

Ok, that's workable, there are plenty of Sith that are just plain stupid and petty that do stupid and petty things that make no sense just because they can. That could be an acceptable reason.

It could be developed on and actually fleshed out into something substantive; it is not.

You, in fact, spend the vast majority of chapters 2 and 3 being herded around by absolutely everybody, as your character is not allowed at any point to so much as be the source in dialogue of an idea for what they're going to do about their own problems.

Not once. I paid attention specifically for it; I wanted to find a point of redemption on this negligence. I was still looking when the final scenes unrolled. I'm still waiting on my inquisitor that is completely done with the present storyline.

Now, at the very, very end, a couple of choices are presented that no follow-up currently exists on. There might be something of relevance to those choices. Nothing preceeding indicates that I should think they will be, but outside that limiting context, acknowleding that people learn from mistakes and also tend to improve with practice encourages me to a reasonable acknowledgement of that those choices might someday become relevant.

Maybe something will come in the future as the tale continues; maybe Bioware will do itself and everybody a favor, replace the writer or writing team that gave birth to this loathsome embarassment of a supposedly interactive story and salvage it here to fore.

Totally possible.

But as it is, for what it is, right now, it is the moldy corndog on the menu. Even if you love corndogs and hate everything else for whatever reasons you fancy, this corndog is a pathetic representation of corndogs and whoever thought this was a good idea ought to be quietly put elsewhere doing something else, where they can do no further harm.

/rant

Lexandar
01.23.2012 , 11:04 AM | #49
Its funny you should mention that as I ended up being more interested in Thanaton's fate than my own inquisitor, who I wrote off as an idiot long ago. Thanaton's words, actions and tone gets more and more desperate in a more and more tragically way as he is screwed. He knows it and yet this wasn't entirely his fault.

Unlike, say, Baras who just turns on you for no discernible reason Thanaton executes you as everyone who kills a Sith, especially a higher Sith, are executed. This is referenced quite heavily in the story. He ****s that up, not because he's an idiot but because Kallig/Ergast's ghost gave you an unfair advantage whereas Baras ****s up because he's generally an idiot.

Lauraliane
01.23.2012 , 12:16 PM | #50
Yep, pretty much the whole SI story is terrible.

Predictable, boring, doesn't make sense, makes you feel weak and dumb all along.

Act 2 is the worst since it basically serves no purpose, you do ALL of Act 2, only to end doing Nothing besides coming back to square 1 in a worst state and reminded again that you are dumb.