Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is act 2 of the inquisitor storyline a bad joke?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Is act 2 of the inquisitor storyline a bad joke?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Sevorex
01.22.2012 , 08:15 AM | #31
How a story is like is highly personal opinion... I've finished the consular story and liked it all the way through

Xanthlor
01.22.2012 , 09:46 AM | #32
As to the SI story:

Spoiler

acheros
01.22.2012 , 12:24 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Karkais View Post
Sure but

Spoiler

Nope doesn't make any more sense than before.

What exactly was corrupt in Zash's work? Hell, in SW story Baras described how the one-time emperor sucked his advisors dry to get stronger, and that was ok, what Zash did was not? (Even if we eventually find some valid reason for Thanaton to wage war on player character, it doesnt change the fact that Thanaton never adequtely explained why he was doing it.)

ps. I have loved every class dialog in my SW story so far, but Im only lvl 15 though - at this point SI story was ok too.
Oh yea, I entirely forgot that.

He could just be insane. Or, more fitting for a sith...
He could fear your power, and look for a reason to kill you. Its been shown time and time again in this timeline the sith generally leave each other alone, so him killing you would be a no-no unless he had a reason(same reason YOU had to kill the one sith on dromund kaas) sith are far from being the most truthworthy people.

Angedechu
01.22.2012 , 02:04 PM | #34
To be fair, you play as a Sith Sorcerer, aka Darth Sidious

So, well, you play someone characterized at having bad teeth, cackling, and loving to incinerate your foes.

acheros
01.22.2012 , 02:39 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Angedechu View Post
To be fair, you play as a Sith Sorcerer, aka Darth Sidious

So, well, you play someone characterized at having bad teeth, cackling, and loving to incinerate your foes.
Uh, i play as an assassin...

MustrumRidcully
01.22.2012 , 03:04 PM | #36
I wonder how people would change the storyline to make more sense?

I think one aspect could be to give the relationship to Thanatos more sense. Say, we find out he found a prophecy that he believes applies to him - and you are the person that will bring his downfall. So he tries everything to stop it.

Or maybe the Darth you kill so that Zash can replace him was more than just an ally - a dear friend, a son or something, and he seeks revenge. Zash escapes his wrath by simply failing her ritual, but you remain.

The Ghostbuster stuff - well, it doesn't have to be our favorite aspect, but I think it's overall okay. Maybe a change could be that these Ghosts have some kind of connection to Thanatos? Ancestors, or dead rivals?

acheros
01.22.2012 , 03:09 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post

I think one aspect could be to give the relationship to Thanatos more sense. Say, we find out he found a prophecy that he believes applies to him - and you are the person that will bring his downfall. So he tries everything to stop it.

Or maybe the Darth you kill so that Zash can replace him was more than just an ally - a dear friend, a son or something, and he seeks revenge. Zash escapes his wrath by simply failing her ritual, but you remain.

The Ghostbuster stuff - well, it doesn't have to be our favorite aspect, but I think it's overall okay. Maybe a change could be that these Ghosts have some kind of connection to Thanatos? Ancestors, or dead rivals?
How about instead of stealing power from the ghosts..You have to find them, then do something FOR them, so that they further teach you. Aspects of the sith teachings that have long sense been forgotten, forbidden combat methods, ways to improve common sith abilities like force lightning.

All story wise, of course.

Heimskringla
01.22.2012 , 08:02 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Both Thanaton and Zash really need to be developed a bit more. See my spoiler'd content for more.

Spoiler
- I spent $149.95 on a video game with no release date, and all I got was the key to the executive washroom.

Uruare
01.23.2012 , 12:44 AM | #39
The SI story makes perfect sense if you look at it through the eyes of a Twilight fan.

You go around being abused, kicked around, mocked and doing all this irrelevant nonsense (but there are ghosts! SPooooooOoOoOoOky ghosts, whoOoOoOoooO!) and there's this guy and he HATES YOU (ZOMG!) and then you're SICK (Z.O.M.F.G I NEED TO TWEET MY BFF JILL!!1!one!) and it's just ZOOOOOOOMGGGGGGGGGG!

Which is to say, I can see how it might appeal to a particularly shallow sort of tween that could totally relate to the SI as being like, ya know, THEM. If you're 13 and NOBODY UNDERSTANDS YOU and Thanaton is like your parents and ZZZZZOOOOOOOMGGGGGOGOGOGOGOG!

Yeah.

Just...yeah. Barely coherent at the best of times, and in the end...

Spoiler

In short, a bigger crock of storytelling failure I have not seen...in a long, long time.

Certainly not in a professional venue like this one anyway.

Meharial
01.23.2012 , 02:12 AM | #40
In an attempt to have it make more sense, I kind of went with Thanaton being the victim of a self fulfilling prophecy. Zash's method of rising to power was daring in its audacity, everyone knows she killed Skotia, but they can't prove it. And she was rewarded by being made a Darth.

And then there is you, who started off as a force sensitive slave on Korriban but in a short time as quite a few significant achievments under your belt and far more powerful than is common. Zash was your master, you were complicit in her schemes by association even if Thanaton has no direct evidence for it. Zash killed her superior Skotia. You killed Zash, following in her footsteps. Thanaton and his position is next in line but as you don't have a convenient apprentice to betray you he decides to take matters into his own hands.

It's tradition to eliminate a threat to your power before it fully comes into its own.

However, because he decided to take a swing at you, he brought about what he feared.

That's how my SI's story plays out and I'm sticking to it!