Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is act 2 of the inquisitor storyline a bad joke?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Is act 2 of the inquisitor storyline a bad joke?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Aebrynis
04.15.2013 , 09:45 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
No one is forcing you to play through it, and there is zero chance Bioware is going to rewrite it based on your critique, so your complaints on the forum serve no purpose at all. (Outside of flaming and trolling, so I guess if those are your objectives, then congrats.)
I think it's safe to say that no one expects a rewrite of anything already in-game, particularly something that utilized voice actors to do it. I don't recall anyone asking for one, or alluding to the fact that one is possible. If they can't add in new companions with new story angles (whatever they might be), it's ludicrous to assume anyone was even remotely suggesting that.

As to serving no purpose, I disagree. While no one in these forums approaches anything resembling Siskel & Ebert At The Movies, there are situations when legitimate critique of another's efforts can serve a purpose - to analyze what was liked, and what wasn't. This gives the company an idea of what the players would like to see, and what sort of content most interests them, and conversely what content did not inspire them,. This is, in fact, one of the reasons the folks running the game set forums like this up to begin with.

Granted, it does not excuse criticism of the authors themselves ("What the &^%$ was John Doe thinking???"), and one would be absolutely correct in stating that the game company is under no obligation whatsoever in taking the opinions and ideas of the folks who give them money any sort of consideration (and the chances are as good as not that this will be exactly the case). But like a book reviewer or a movie critic, such content is absolutely fair game for analysis and opinion. If you disagree, that is of course your prerogative, but don't expect many people to either agree with you or find any sympathy for your viewpoint.

Pietrastor
04.22.2013 , 06:50 AM | #112
I would rather like to know is this thread a bad joke? I'm shocked how the majority thinks Inquisitor story sucks. Gonna be blunt, do people only care about being "uber powerful" and having their player ego stroked by being Mary Sue Jedi/Sith with power level "over 9000!!!!!11"?

Axe_Faktor
04.22.2013 , 06:00 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by Slurmez View Post
Im sorry but pretty much any criticism can be construed as a personal attack, are the game devs such fragile precious souls that they cant be called to account ot the work they do? On one hand you say yes the other you say no. The story in the inquisitor class line was horrible. The developers work was terrible, it felt rushed and contrived and whoever made it should be ashamed.
*Sigh* You make a better game then. Not sure why people hate on the Inquisitor story so much. Why are you so upset about becoming a member of the dark council, enslaving the ghosts of powerful force users, becoming the master of mysteries for the Sith empire? Seems pretty OK to me. If what bothers you is that there are some goofy parts of the story, I suggest you take a look at the broader Star Wars universe.
The Dredd Legacy - POT5: Axelson - Vanguard, Tyrax - Juggernaut, Despetycus - Assassin , Soleno - Sentinel, Half-squat - Scoundrel

lokdron
04.23.2013 , 03:05 PM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by Pietrastor View Post
I would rather like to know is this thread a bad joke? I'm shocked how the majority thinks Inquisitor story sucks. Gonna be blunt, do people only care about being "uber powerful" and having their player ego stroked by being Mary Sue Jedi/Sith with power level "over 9000!!!!!11"?
Looks like two people are totally missing the point on why people hated the SI story its the whole premise and the how the characters and the sith inquisitor acts in the story.

Bioware touted the SI has the "Darth Sidious experience someone who can work from the shadows and pull the strings of others". With political machinations and other politics.

Instead what I got was lots of comedy/dark humor and indiana jones and ghostbusters. While the Sith warrior story has all the aspects that bioware described about the SI story hell even the other imperial classes has more politics than the SI. You are surprised a lot of people are annoyed?

Darth_Wicked
04.23.2013 , 03:12 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by lokdron View Post
Looks like two people are totally missing the point on why people hated the SI story its the whole premise and the how the characters and the sith inquisitor acts in the story.

Bioware touted the SI has the "Darth Sidious experience someone who can work from the shadows and pull the strings of others". With political machinations and other politics.

Instead what I got was lots of comedy/dark humor and indiana jones and ghostbusters. While the Sith warrior story has all the aspects that bioware described about the SI story hell even the other imperial classes has more politics than the SI. You are surprised a lot of people are annoyed?
You mean the same SW who turns out to be nothing more than a tool during the whole experience, unlike the SI, who comes to his own during the final act?

lokdron
04.23.2013 , 03:22 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
You mean the same SW who out to be nothing more than a tool during the whole experience, unlike the SI, who comes to his own during the final act?
You mean simply falling into the chair more than anything else.

Here Is how I view the SI the SI is like a stupid boss that has their underlings come up with all the schemes/plans many people have said this in the topic and they are correct. I don't care where my character ends up but overall the SI story makes the SI a bloody idiot. While their IQ goes up during planet questlines.

My friends and guildmates have a saying for the SI story we just simply shoot force lightning all the way to the council seat. Plus the whole story of chapter 2 and 3 I think should of been different. Right now in the game its just bad.

Hell at least the sith warrior actually can have a head on their soldiers and they are the so called "brute" the sheer number of options that SW has to deal with situations is staggering compared to the SI.

Majority of the time choices for the SI come down to "Half hearted light option" or "Lightning".

The story of the SI is plain bad. The only good parts IMO where korriban and the end scene and the end had to be ruined by mortis stealing our kill.

TalonVII
04.23.2013 , 03:36 PM | #117
Sorry i have to agree. There's no manipulation. it's go here find, this, do this, and torture with lightning to get the desired results?

Where is the manipulation? Hell the IA story has more manipulation, twists and turns then the SI.

Sorry i compare the SI[least the assassin] More to darth Maul, infact i attribute the story more along the lines of Maul instead of Sidious.

Haven't done the SW yet, but that seems to me that the character was built on Vader minus the suit.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

lokdron
04.23.2013 , 03:40 PM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Sorry i have to agree. There's no manipulation. it's go here find, this, do this, and torture with lightning to get the desired results?

Where is the manipulation? Hell the IA story has more manipulation, twists and turns then the SI.

Sorry i compare the SI[least the assassin] More to darth Maul, infact i attribute the story more along the lines of Maul instead of Sidious.

Haven't done the SW yet, but that seems to me that the character was built on Vader minus the suit.
I agree here the IA has more manipulation and actually the SW is both Vader and Sidious or anywhere in between depending on which choices you pick.

For example on kaas

I made two gangs trying to steal something from me murder each with simple words. I did not even lift a finger. Plus pretty much the whole of chapter one is 1 big manipulation by the sith warrior.

When I played the sith warrior and IA I was wonder where were all these options in the SI story.

Axe_Faktor
04.23.2013 , 07:03 PM | #119
Just because the SI story line doesn't match Palpatine's story to the letter doesn't mean it's not exemplary of the Sith experience. Look at Darth Bane (and yes I know Bane is supposed to be more similar to the Warrior, but he's just not).

He spends the majority of his Sith life looking for mysteries of the force and trying to make himself more powerful. He also makes a lot of mistakes, and essentially ends up having to muscle and smash his way through them. His manipulations (with the exception of wiping out the entire Sith Brotherhood) aren't often these grand schemes, like Palpatine, but rather smaller scale manipulations designed to further his own goals, and remove potential threats to the Sith.
The Dredd Legacy - POT5: Axelson - Vanguard, Tyrax - Juggernaut, Despetycus - Assassin , Soleno - Sentinel, Half-squat - Scoundrel

lokdron
04.23.2013 , 07:21 PM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by Axe_Faktor View Post
Just because the SI story line doesn't match Palpatine's story to the letter doesn't mean it's not exemplary of the Sith experience. Look at Darth Bane (and yes I know Bane is supposed to be more similar to the Warrior, but he's just not).

He spends the majority of his Sith life looking for mysteries of the force and trying to make himself more powerful. He also makes a lot of mistakes, and essentially ends up having to muscle and smash his way through them. His manipulations (with the exception of wiping out the entire Sith Brotherhood) aren't often these grand schemes, like Palpatine, but rather smaller scale manipulations designed to further his own goals, and remove potential threats to the Sith.
Funny thing is that the SI does not even do smaller scale manipulations its normally the npc giving all the plans and idea's and the SI just rolls with it. Plus making the same mistakes multiple times and even npcs calling the SI an idiot. Plus bane would turn in his grave being compared to the SI.

At least the sith warrior does large and small manipulations depending on your choices. The sith warrior gives a better sith experience. Depending on what kind of sith you want.

Anyway it was BIOWARE that set our expections for the SI story saying it was the "darth sidious expirence with working behind the scenes and manipulating people" and of course people got upset that they did not meet that expectation hell they flew right off the mark.