Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Roleplaying Suggestions

Ganden
04.14.2012 , 02:52 PM | #241
We saw a great deal of updates in 1.2, though chat bubbles now need a big community push so that the devs get working on it.

Let them know that we want them, and we want them ASAP!
Ganden Venorsi
Ataru shall set me free...
Editor-in-chief
SWTOR-RP

JettVega
04.23.2012 , 07:30 PM | #242
All awesome suggestions. The devs are definitely aware of this thread as it appears they are consolidating RP suggestion threads and directing players to this one. With that, I definitely second adding Pazaak as an in game feature and also am in favor of having the option to put up an RP tag. I know not everyone likes to use them, and that's cool, but for some people it's a huge help to tell who's actively looking for RP : )

Kuronan
05.13.2012 , 08:28 PM | #243
/signed

I'd like to add a personal suggestion as well...

Cosmetic Swap
Okay, we all know the basic Jedi throw rocks, Sith use lightning, Troopers use Grenades and Bounty Hunters love Missiles, etc etc...
But why is that? Would it really be so unreasonable for my Consular to learn Force Lightning and still be good, like Revan is, or for a Trooper to take a Jet Pack off of a Bounty Hunter and stick with it? My Smuggler, after contributing so much to the Republic, can't call down Orbital Strikes like my Agent?
Everyone loves the game, but some of us are disappointed that the mirror class has the better looking spells, but our friends are on the other faction (IE: I love my Consular, it feels a lot like I would be in this universe, but I know I would give my soul to learn how to shoot lightning out of my hands. I used to have a Sith Inquisitor, but I don't like the Empire.)

RP Flag
Forgot where I saw this, but someone said it, and I think it's a sweet idea. A giant (toggle-able, default off) sign hanging above someone's head saying "I love roleplaying, will you join me for some immersion into this perfect world?" Likely a symbol of some sort to be put next to where the class symbol would go.

Barber Shop
Some of us don't like the way we look anymore, so implement a barber shop that will allow us to alter our appearance without changing the character. Also maybe allow me to replace my arm with something cybernetic? I know it's a long shot, but the cybernetic bit would ROCK!

Pazaak/Sabacc
I don't care much personally, but everyone wants it, so it should be mentioned.

A few Emote Suggestions
/agony The character would grab their face with their left and curl their back to the ground, Bioware already has the animation, they demonstrated this anytime your Rakghoul plague worsened during the event.
/lean The character would lean on his/her right side against something, like a pole or wall.
/lie Oh come on Bioware! Why the hell haven't you done this sooner?!
/sit Obviously this needs to be emphasized to be molded so it sits properly in a chair, maybe both legs crossed and your arms somewhere in front of you?
/dance needs more or better dancing animations then running in place, which I end up doing about half of the time...
/meditate Bioware has this for Mirilians, it's called Focusing Ritual. give everyone the ability, but change it so that the Imperials get a Seething look instead of glowing, or maybe it's affected by morality, so evil Reps Seethe and good Imps will glow?
The Estimare Legacy
I used to be a Jedi once, but then I took a Lightning Bolt to the Knee.
We, the roleplayers, need this.

Ellipsys
05.14.2012 , 01:26 AM | #244
I offer my support to providing more Roleplaying tools and options for the entire gaming public, and the RP-focused like myself in specific. Everything aforementioned overall are viable suggestions, but let me suggest the following generality -

PLEASE Let us actually interact in meaningful ways with OTHER PLAYERS. The vast majority of interactions in game are between your player character and NPCs. You can marry or be in a relationship, with some game-mechanics supporting them, with your NPC followers, but not a fellow player for instance! The game doesn't recognize when players interact aside from the extremely cursory "social" meter which comes down to "Having more than 1 person in a party when interacting with NPCs through quests/conversations". This is a huge area of potential progress.

Glzmo
06.10.2012 , 02:46 PM | #245
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuronan View Post
RP Flag
Forgot where I saw this, but someone said it, and I think it's a sweet idea. A giant (toggle-able, default off) sign hanging above someone's head saying "I love roleplaying, will you join me for some immersion into this perfect world?" Likely a symbol of some sort to be put next to where the class symbol would go.
This would be great. I'd also love to see this affect /say, /yell and /emote chat. If you had the RP flag up, /say, /yell and /emote would work normally (and ideally, produce a chat bubble). If you had the RP flag down (or an /ooc flag up), the chat you'd type into /say, /yell or /emote would automatically go into general chat instead (or - perhaps more ideally - separate /sayooc, /yellooc, /emoteooc chat channels). That way, roleplayers could turn off the OOC channels (or rather keep them in a separate OOC chat tab/window) while roleplaying and remain completely immersed while non-roleplayers could turn the RP chat channels off to not be bothered by roleplayers that are in-character.

Barber Shop
Some of us don't like the way we look anymore, so implement a barber shop that will allow us to alter our appearance without changing the character. Also maybe allow me to replace my arm with something cybernetic? I know it's a long shot, but the cybernetic bit would ROCK!
Yes. A barber shop/image design feature is much needed. I'd even go so far and make a fully-blown "plastical surgery"/"face merchants" feature, so you could basically re-enter the character creator and change everything about your character that you can do upon character creation except for the faction and class (due to the way the character story works). In a science-fantasy setting like Star Wars, it's perfectly acceptable to change gender and species via surgical mean. There are even examples in Star Wars literaruter where spies did just that, so it would be justified from a canonic standpoint as well.

A few Emote Suggestions
/lie Oh come on Bioware! Why the hell haven't you done this sooner?!
It would probably be better to call this /liedown, otherwise if a Bioware developer happened to read this she or he may just misunderstand and create a /lie emote that makes your character look like a liar.
But yes, an animated emote that lets your character lie down and stay in that position is much needed. If they can't make a new animation for it, just re-use the one that is used when you're knocked down or whatever. prone would be nice as well.

/sit Obviously this needs to be emphasized to be molded so it sits properly in a chair, maybe both legs crossed and your arms somewhere in front of you?
They should just go over all chairs in the game and add the sitting property. It's not that hard! Just have an intern or dev that has nothing to do go over them for a couple of days and add the property.
However, if they don't manage to do that, they should add a /sitchair emote which looks as if a character is sitting on a char and you could do in front of a chair to look like you're sitting on it. That would be easy and I even suggested that during beta. In addition, the regular /sit animation needs to be replaced to a normal floor sitting position, not the current one that would be better suited for a /slavegirlleiasit emote...

Ganden
06.10.2012 , 03:35 PM | #246
I'm still amazed that two features that should of been in at launch--chat bubbles and hood toggles--are still not even being talked about.

Outrageous!
Ganden Venorsi
Ataru shall set me free...
Editor-in-chief
SWTOR-RP

Evia
08.08.2012 , 03:16 AM | #247
/signed

I really would like the RP flag. Main reason is that, if I want to rp I have to go to the Nar Shadda Cantina.

Well, my smuggler ICly hates Nar Shadda.
My Inquisitor dosen't party
My Agent dosen't drink
My trooper is shy
My JK is losing her mind
My Consolar's personaltiy isn't made yet but she'd be sweet and not a drinker
My SW... Okay, she'd go
My BH's pretty quiet and submissive

So if I want to RP, I can only rp on my SW without metaing. D= I want to see more World RP
Avidea Snocami: Who is she, what does she look like? Click >Here<
"Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought."
Berdine Cyant: Who is she, what does she look like? Click >Here<
"The public will believe anything, so long as it is not founded on truth."

kenpomaster
08.08.2012 , 03:42 PM | #248
Quote: Originally Posted by Carheadbutt View Post
Chat Bubbles
We know the Hero Engine can support them, but there were issues with them before early on in beta. Is this being worked on still? Just a simple yes or no here would be nice. We've already done large RP events with over 100 people and the chat scroll can be nightmarish. Even in smaller events it can be very difficult to keep track of conversations.

Heres a good thread link on this http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=41864

Social Clothing
Social clothing is awesome, but a lot of people can't use it normally because it's all light armor. Rather then restricting it by armor class, why not just simply have the vendors sell light/medium/heavy varieties of each type? Everyone wins.

I'd also like to specifically address the Imperial Trooper armor. Yes we were begging for it all through beta, but putting it in on the CE vendor couldn't have hurt more. As the game grows theres going to be more and more people without the CE. Those people will still want to RP Imperial Troopers. Why not give us something else nice looking, or an officers version, and allowing everyone else to get the basic version. Something similar could be done with the Republic officers uniform as well.

Roleplayers want to have some "off duty" looks which current social armor doesn't totally cover. The Republic women's dress and Imperial Dress outfit for men are a good start, but we'd love more as well.

Itemization
As a Sith Inquisitor, our items got swapped around constantly during beta. Now the SI raid gear is Darth Baras' Outfit, and Lord Zash's outfit is a low level Sith Warrior outfit. It doesn't make sense. There are also tons of different color and hood up/down variations of current armor ingame only seen on NPCs. Why not add these as orange item schematics to crafting along with some of the different looks that were removed?

Cross-Faction Communication
I'm grateful that we can use spatial to communicate but why not custom emotes as well? In the RP community this adds a lot of confusion with new players not knowing and old players forgetting. I'd like to not see any more players standing around idly because one couldnt see an emote. Other games such as Everquest 2 have used different chat rules for different servers, could we have custom emotes enabled cross faction for RP servers?

Lightsaber Colors
Restricting Red, Green, and Blue makes some sense, and if you really want it, it's still possible to get them. Cyan and Purple make less sense. I understand the desire to have PvPers look different from one other by faction, but Purple was Mace Windu's color, a Jedi Master. Since you're already making purple items customizable why not make the other factions color available, but hard to obtain, or LS/DS like RGB colors? Stephen Reid said at E3 we would eventually be able to get another factions speeder type with a lot of work. That sort of thing is fun, I love it that I have to work my butt off to try and get a White saber.

Empty Instances
Some of TOR's most beautiful work is hidden in quest instances. We'd love to RP in those places! Why not allow players to open up an empty version of an instance once they've completed the quest? This way nothing is given away early, but a level 50 of any class would have a wide selection of places they could go to RP and use the scenery worked so hard on. It'd be even better if you could bring an ops group in so they could take more than three friends.

A /roll System
Roleplayers love a roll or dice function. Not only does it allow for some creative dueling practices, but also gives us the ability to make up our own gambling minigames!

Expanded Seating
We understand expanding the seating options is difficult because it uses the cover system, but if you could at least expand it to some of the major ingame cantinas it would go a long way to helping out roleplayers.

Sit/Lie Down emotes
While I understand the difficulty that goes into coding every single chair and couch in the game to be an interactable item, the least we could get in the meantime is more control over our characters to make up for this while it's (hopefully) worked on. The current /sit emote is really unfriendly to RPers, and only works if you're sitting on flat ground. And it looks more like a /lounge than a /sit.

Hoods
Is it possible to add a hood toggle? If not could we get more varieties of clothing with hoods up and down? Some classes like Inquisitor want more hood down, others like Warror want more hood up! Also, could we get a word if hood/mask is coming back? That was a great feature.

Also with twi'leks coudn't they wrap their lekku around the front or something and still wear a hood? Something like this http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu...wlodo1_500.jpg

Character Customization
You can never really have enough, so I'll try to limit this to some of the best suggestions. A new body type somewhere between 2-3 to be a bit bigger, or muscled, but not gigantic. Some new races might be nice too, Togruta, Kel-Dor, Nalutolan, there are a lot of heroic humanoid basic speaking races that woud fit in well with the current races. Also there were a lot of options removed during beta, due to bugs and wanting to make the races shared across factions unique. Are those coming back in legacy? If not, can we get them again?

Also will it be possible to add an ingame character customizer like Warcraft's barber shop? We'd really like to be able to change our characters over time, add scars, change hairstyles and the like.

Character Bios
These really help with setting up RP with someone you dont know, it can have tidbits of essential character info, or little things like scars or accents that can't be represented other ways. If it's impossible to add one to the game normally, we can make our own UI mod if you simply allow the UI to be modded with the coming UI updates.

Did I forget anything? Let me know and I'll add it.
I'm all for these. Our guild like to RP sometimes and it would be nice to have all of these options open. Great suggestions and I support them 1000%!

unothegreat
09.03.2012 , 09:18 AM | #249
I completely agree with everything here, but one thing I would like to see implemented is ship customization of some sort. It could come from as simple as changing some of the colors to changing interior decoration, to choosing themes for each room on your ship. If not that, than maybe some form of instanced player housing besides the ship, or some form of personal ownership and style. Also, something resembling a guild hall or maybe guild capital ship to be used as sort of a hangout for guild members.
I understand that most of this is probably just wishful thinking and most of it won't be added (anytime soon, at least). I just hope that BW can take our wishes into account as well as the PvPers and the Ops runners. Remember Bio, RPers pay the sub too.