Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Day/Night Cycle


pedrotalhari's Avatar


pedrotalhari
01.20.2012 , 12:53 PM | #1
Please, it would be very nice to add some Day and Night cycle to the game!! It would make the game more immersive.

I know devs said they would stick on FIXED time for the quests moods and etc. But, I can't imagine a huge game like SWTOR without the day/night cycle.

Elmillia's Avatar


Elmillia
01.20.2012 , 12:58 PM | #2
You do realize that every planet would have its own day/night cycle and not every planet would have the same lengh days (Some planets are 20 hours long instead of 24, etc)

Add to the complexity of binary star systems like the Tatooine system. It'd need its own day/night system all together due to having two suns.

Almagnus's Avatar


Almagnus
01.20.2012 , 01:03 PM | #3
It's not THAT hard to implement.

Sure, they've got 14ish worlds to figure this out on, but many have a single star. I would imagine (for simplicity's sake) that many of the planets would have 24 hour day synced to the server time, or (better yet).

For the problematic planets (like Tatooine), keep it as always day until they can figure it out.

If some have a day/night cycle, and other's don't, I'd imagine that most would be happy with that.

Chromiie's Avatar


Chromiie
01.20.2012 , 01:04 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Elmillia View Post
You do realize that every planet would have its own day/night cycle and not every planet would have the same lengh days (Some planets are 20 hours long instead of 24, etc)

Add to the complexity of binary star systems like the Tatooine system. It'd need its own day/night system all together due to having two suns.
Ruins ma immersion!!#!@#!
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
We don't have friendly fire in The Old Republic for a simple reason: a lot of players are, well... idiots. I don't mean you, of course, dear reader

Saiaku's Avatar


Saiaku
01.20.2012 , 01:19 PM | #5
Im shocked that the game doesn't have this yet.
Hidden Beks -> Nightmare Lands -> The Red Eclipse

Taova's Avatar


Taova
01.20.2012 , 01:23 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Saiaku View Post
Im shocked that the game doesn't have this yet.
I'm with you on this one. Each world is its own server shard, why not have this? I was disappointed there were no real sand storms on Tat. I know its been said, but I wish they would have spent less time/$ on voice over and more on the rest of the game.
SWG Ranger

Rygel's Avatar


Rygel
01.20.2012 , 01:25 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Almagnus View Post
It's not THAT hard to implement.

Sure, they've got 14ish worlds to figure this out on, but many have a single star. I would imagine (for simplicity's sake) that many of the planets would have 24 hour day synced to the server time, or (better yet).

For the problematic planets (like Tatooine), keep it as always day until they can figure it out.

If some have a day/night cycle, and other's don't, I'd imagine that most would be happy with that.
Star wars Galaxies did it years ago. They even had harvesters that would follow the sun as it passed across the sky.

Galaxies also had actual space content not just a shooter mini game. You know the "escape from the death star" scene from ANH where Han and Luke were on guns while Chewie flew the ship? That was also possible.

Slightlycampana's Avatar


Slightlycampana
01.20.2012 , 01:29 PM | #8
I like day and night cycles. It would be fine for each planet to have a different one, but I do feel they shouldn't be 24 hr (since players logging in at the same time every day will only ever experience one time of in-game day).

3hrs day and 2hrs of night works well.
Completed polls (results being collated):
Faction choice
Results of closed polls:
Dual speccing

pangwl's Avatar


pangwl
01.20.2012 , 01:58 PM | #9
The emperor is greatly weakened during daytime.....
Arradan | Jedi Sentinel | Republic Centurion

Elmillia's Avatar


Elmillia
01.21.2012 , 12:18 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Rygel View Post
Star wars Galaxies did it years ago. They even had harvesters that would follow the sun as it passed across the sky.
I don't think Galaxy's was a realistic implementation. I don't know about anyone else, but if they do do day/night, I want it done properly. :P

Quote:
Galaxies also had actual space content not just a shooter mini game. You know the "escape from the death star" scene from ANH where Han and Luke were on guns while Chewie flew the ship? That was also possible.
RIP Star Wars Galaxies. RIP Jump to Lightspeed.

That kind of scene would be fun if they can find a way to make it happen in TOR.