Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anakin went to the Dark side...why?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Anakin went to the Dark side...why?

Explosive_Lasers
01.20.2012 , 08:29 PM | #41
My theory is that it had been itching at him for years, and Palpatine furthered it.

The moment with Mace was a spur of the moment, instantaneous decision that I THINK he regretted, but he knew he couldn't go back, and left into the Dark-Side entirely.

Really, I would think that if the rules weren't in place forbidding love, he would have stayed on the Light-Side with the Jedi, but he had to go to the Dark-Side to try and save what he loved. At the same time, it might be interpreted that the rules were in place to prevent the love, thus preventing the need to go to the Dark-Side, but they wouldn't need to go to the Dark-Side to love if the rules weren't in place, on the other hand.

Really, I think the Jedis are just total arses.

al_giordino
01.20.2012 , 10:08 PM | #42
There's some extra foreshadowing in 1 and 2 that is easily missed.

I think sometimes the scenes are so dynamic and breathtaking its easy to get caught up in it rather than focus on the dialogue.

I know I have to pay extra attention to catch the details of the nuanced dialogue vs most othet movies.

In Phantom Menace, a young Anakin tells Yoda and the council he misses and worries about his mom. Yoda goes on to foreshadow everything by explains how this fear of loss can lead to the dark side.

In Clone Wars, a disturbed Anakin tells I think Obi-Wan or Palpatine how he's been having bad dreams about losing his mother, hence like Yoda previously said, his mind is open to corruption by the dark side.

Most importantly, going to the dark side isn't like you or I making a decision to do a single wrong action. We can be good and bad where the dark side is something much more dangerous, something you can't just tap into some of the time. Yoda in particular gives a number of warnings about it thought the 5 films he appears in.

al_giordino
01.20.2012 , 10:18 PM | #43
Oh yeah, btw Anakin was a narcissist. In one comment in Clone Wars, he says something to the effect that he's more skilled at a light saber than Yoda. And of course says he's more advanced than Obi Wan in "many" ways. I just think these arrogant comments were few between or often missed. He describes well how he feels held back by the council including saying its "not fair". As anyone knows, someone who feels that way might often say to themselves "I'll show them one day.". And he does.

Vecke
01.20.2012 , 11:26 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by darthmorbous View Post
Cool man, ty, so the movie is very badly done, and we need the book now...as usual book>movie
Sadly, yeah, to get the full story, the book to Episode 3 is just better in most regards. Even the banter is spectacular. For example, in the book, when Grievous says, "Fool, I was trained in your Jedi arts by Lord Tyrannus himself!" Obi Wan (in the book) retorts: "You mean Dooku? What a coincidence. I trained the man who killed him."

Even the fight between Dooku, Anakin, and Obi Was was much, much better in the book. Very interesting reading what was going on in Dooku's mind during that fight.

All in all, for me personally, the Episode 3 novelization is the best Star Wars book I've read.
"I know."