Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anakin went to the Dark side...why?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Anakin went to the Dark side...why?

gravagehulk
01.20.2012 , 12:38 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
If you really watched them, you will know that its over the course of the three movies Anakin slowly turns to the darkside it didn't just happen instantly it happened over all 3 movies.
I saw and acknowledged the slow spiral over the three movies. I was referring more to the moment he turned when he went from reporting Sidious to Mace to "eff it, I'll go kill children". That seemed abrupt to me. Tuskan children, I could understand. They murdered his mother, as far as he was concerned. But I just had hangups with the "I will do whatever you ask" part that immediately followed Mace's death.

darthmorbous
01.20.2012 , 01:04 PM | #22
the question is:

Would you BUTCHER INFANTS to save your wife for something you dont really know is going to happen?
and if so, would you be able to keep your wife if she knows that you did BUTCHER INFANTS.
You must be really psychotic imho.
Trevise Jedi Shadow
Karkus Tritonos, Sith Marauder
Hanunaki ; assassin

gravagehulk
01.20.2012 , 01:07 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by darthmorbous View Post
the question is:

Would you BUTCHER INFANTS to save your wife for something you dont really know is going to happen?
and if so, would you be able to keep your wife if she knows that you did BUTCHER INFANTS.
THAT, my friend, is what I'm talking about! Someone explain that to me.

Foxfirega
01.20.2012 , 01:10 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by darthmorbous View Post
the question is:

Heard of people doing worse when having an emotional breakdown. Anakin has all the hallmarks of being in one when he goes off to the Jedi Temple.

Worst-case example off the top of my head is a woman mentally snapping and drowning all five of her children in an attempt to save their souls. Personally, one at a time, in their bathtub.

Do we really think that Anakin was thinking with a clear head throughout the end sequence of that movie? Seriously?

He had a psychotic break, but that doesn't necessarily mean he had a psychosis. Likely did for a short time after, though. Or maybe even longer, who knows. But right up until that 'off the bridge with you, sanity' point, nah.
'Your name is in the mouth of others - be sure it has teeth.' - Maxim 16, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

rajahkhan
01.20.2012 , 02:44 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by gravagehulk View Post
So playing SWTOR kind of infected me with the Star Wars virus and I decided to watch the prequels again.

No matter how many times I watch them, I just don't see the transition from Jedi to Dark side as believable for Anakin. I get that he was worried about Padme and he was always kind of an emo, whiny ***** (as portrayed in the prequels), but it just seems like at some point he went "EFF it, I'm going evil" without a lot of probably cause. Sidius admitted that he didn't have the power to save Padme yet. He said they could "discover it".

One minute Anakin is threatening to turn in the Senator as a Sith Lord, someone who had been a supporter and friend for some time, the next he is lopping off Mace's hand and agreeing to go kill children at the Jedi Temple.

I'm not saying it's not plausible. I blame Lucas for the lack of build-up to that point.

On a different note, I have been watching the Clone Wars series and it is awesome. Anakin is portrayed in a much better light in that series, as are the other characters and the action is great.

I think that all of this can be summed up by the old saying, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Anakin's intentions were noble, but he became obsessed with preventing Padmae 's death. He let all other moralities fall away to try and win that one prize. Palpatine played on that, and Anakin's emotional insecurities.

In the end, Anakin's own obsession led him to make choices that "the end justifies the means." He acted on that when it seemed that Palpatine's "knowledge" would be taken away.

Sorry for all of the cliches, but they fit the scenario well.

Vecke
01.20.2012 , 02:45 PM | #26
The book really addresses this well (I really wish it had been more fleshed out in the movie).

By the time he was watching Mace and Palpatine, he was exhausted, desperate to save Padme, completely confused about who the bad guys were, and had just been given full permission to become the powerful man he wanted to be.

He attacked Mace on instinct, but once it was done, he knew there was no turning back. His actions left him with two paths: He could be consumed with guilt over that action for the rest of his life, or he could embrace what he'd done and give himself permission to think that evil act was the right thing to do.

He chose the latter.

As for the Younglings, he was told by Palpatine that he would only be strong enough to save Padme if he let himself become consumed by the dark side, and killing the Younglings was the one act that would do it.

And saving Padme wasn't just about his love for her. It was about power. He didn't want to save her because he loved her. Saving her was the key to him becoming so powerful that he was the master of life and death itself, and that was his obsession since his mother had died. That power was more important than his love of Padme.

Ultimately, his love for Padme was the excuse to turn to the darkside, not the reason. The reason was his lust to become the most powerful being in the galaxy, which is something Palpatine gave him permission to do.
"I know."

Obadaya
01.20.2012 , 03:16 PM | #27
Well, I'm glad there is a decent explanation in the book.

In the movie it's like, "hey, I've been fighting this war for years and have become a hero, and there's all these people here I love... BUT, I gotta save Padme, who will obviously hate me (hmmm, along with everyone else I've been fighting alongside) anyway once she finds out I killed a bunch of kids that looked up to me."

Just completely implausible.

Hell, even the comic adaptation was better.

gravagehulk
01.20.2012 , 03:17 PM | #28
So on an unrelated note...

Why is it that Mace pretty much facerolled Sidious with very little effort, but Master Yoda fought him to a stalemate?

I always kind of assumed that it was a gamble Sidious made to look helpless in front of Anakin so that he would have to go over to the dark side to save him, but Sidious was pretty much beaten before Anakin even got there.

gravagehulk
01.20.2012 , 03:20 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Obadaya View Post
Well, I'm glad there is a decent explanation in the book.

In the movie it's like, "hey, I've been fighting this war far years and have become a hero, and there's all these people here I love... BUT, I gotta save Padme, who will obviously hate me (hmmm, along with everyone else I've been fighting alongside) anyway once she finds out I killed a bunch of kids that looked up to me."

Just completely implausible.

Hell, even the comic adaptation was better.
Yeah. It kind of makes me wish I had read the books instead of watching the movie.

darthmorbous
01.20.2012 , 03:44 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Vecke View Post
The book really addresses this well (I really wish it had been more fleshed out in the movie).

By the time he was watching Mace and Palpatine, he was exhausted, desperate to save Padme, completely confused about who the bad guys were, and had just been given full permission to become the powerful man he wanted to be.

He attacked Mace on instinct, but once it was done, he knew there was no turning back. His actions left him with two paths: He could be consumed with guilt over that action for the rest of his life, or he could embrace what he'd done and give himself permission to think that evil act was the right thing to do.

He chose the latter.

As for the Younglings, he was told by Palpatine that he would only be strong enough to save Padme if he let himself become consumed by the dark side, and killing the Younglings was the one act that would do it.

And saving Padme wasn't just about his love for her. It was about power. He didn't want to save her because he loved her. Saving her was the key to him becoming so powerful that he was the master of life and death itself, and that was his obsession since his mother had died. That power was more important than his love of Padme.

Ultimately, his love for Padme was the excuse to turn to the darkside, not the reason. The reason was his lust to become the most powerful being in the galaxy, which is something Palpatine gave him permission to do.

Cool man, ty, so the movie is very badly done, and we need the book now...as usual book>movie
Trevise Jedi Shadow
Karkus Tritonos, Sith Marauder
Hanunaki ; assassin