Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anakin went to the Dark side...why?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Anakin went to the Dark side...why?

gravagehulk
01.20.2012 , 11:50 AM | #1
So playing SWTOR kind of infected me with the Star Wars virus and I decided to watch the prequels again.

No matter how many times I watch them, I just don't see the transition from Jedi to Dark side as believable for Anakin. I get that he was worried about Padme and he was always kind of an emo, whiny ***** (as portrayed in the prequels), but it just seems like at some point he went "EFF it, I'm going evil" without a lot of probably cause. Sidius admitted that he didn't have the power to save Padme yet. He said they could "discover it".

One minute Anakin is threatening to turn in the Senator as a Sith Lord, someone who had been a supporter and friend for some time, the next he is lopping off Mace's hand and agreeing to go kill children at the Jedi Temple.

I'm not saying it's not plausible. I blame Lucas for the lack of build-up to that point.

On a different note, I have been watching the Clone Wars series and it is awesome. Anakin is portrayed in a much better light in that series, as are the other characters and the action is great.

harlekwin
01.20.2012 , 11:53 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by gravagehulk View Post
So playing SWTOR kind of infected me with the Star Wars virus and I decided to watch the prequels again.

No matter how many times I watch them, I just don't see the transition from Jedi to Dark side as believable for Anakin. I get that he was worried about Padme and he was always kind of an emo, whiny ***** (as portrayed in the prequels), but it just seems like at some point he went "EFF it, I'm going evil" without a lot of probably cause. Sidius admitted that he didn't have the power to save Padme yet. He said they could "discover it".

One minute Anakin is threatening to turn in the Senator as a Sith Lord, someone who had been a supporter and friend for some time, the next he is lopping off Mace's hand and agreeing to go kill children at the Jedi Temple.

I'm not saying it's not plausible. I blame Lucas for the lack of build-up to that point.

On a different note, I have been watching the Clone Wars series and it is awesome. Anakin is portrayed in a much better light in that series, as are the other characters and the action is great.

Anakin was always "dark side" he just switched teams, of course that is based upon the far better than the film literary Phantom Menace, witness his torture of the Tuskin he had at his mercy at 8 years old.

ForlornHope
01.20.2012 , 11:56 AM | #3
The switching between turning him in and saving him is suppose to show the conflict in Anakin. He turns to the dark side because he has too much attachment to people in his life and fears losing them. His mothers death was when he really started down the path. There is still good in him the whole way through but he keeps getting pulled back and forth by Palpatines string pulling over his fears of loss and events unfolding in his life. Your right there was kind of a "**** it" moment after he helped kill Mace and saved Palpatine like "I just did something terrible I can't go back." kind of thing.

Listerman
01.20.2012 , 11:56 AM | #4
Equal parts wanting to save Padme from death, which he knew was coming from visions, and Palpatine wiggling into his head.

The novelization of Revenge of the Sith tells it a lot better than the movie does.
"Never touch a Kel Dor's sammich."
"We're on a message board together. I'm already inclined to think you're a schmuck."

ForlornHope
01.20.2012 , 11:57 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by harlekwin View Post
Anakin was always "dark side" he just switched teams, of course that is based upon the far better than the film literary Phantom Menace, witness his torture of the Tuskin he had at his mercy at 8 years old.
I'm pretty sure he saved the Tusken that was caught under a rock.

Xtrema
01.20.2012 , 11:59 AM | #6

Fear of loss, as Yoda tried to teach Anakin in their 1:1, he had to let go of his fear of loss. Obviously he didn't, and was willing to do anything even for a chance to save padme. He always struggled with his emotions - killing spree after his mother died, revenge on dooku even though he knew it was against the Jedi ways. I also think the Jedi drove him to the dark side with all their mistrust and doubt in Anakin, he was almost looking for a reason to turn.

Obi-wan was key IMO, after they split up Anakin was all downhill, I mean he was already prone to the dark side, without Obi-Wan there as a mentor, friend and big brother-like presence, Sidious turned/manipulated him easily...I don't think Anakin really trusted anyone else at that time

gravagehulk
01.20.2012 , 12:03 PM | #7
How do you go from doing mostly good to just saying "okay, sure, I'll go kill some Jedi kids at the temple"? That's the part that really just didn't seem to make sense to me?

I could understand if he just said "Okay, I helped kill Mace, I might as well throw in with Sidious", but to go from a borderline hero to killing children? That needed much more of a build-up. He didn't even balk at the order or cringe. It was like he was a puppet with no mind of his own.

Listerman
01.20.2012 , 12:07 PM | #8
How do you go from doing mostly good to just saying "okay, sure, I'll go kill some Jedi kids at the temple"? That's the part that really just didn't seem to make sense to me?

I could understand if he just said "Okay, I helped kill Mace, I might as well throw in with Sidious", but to go from a borderline hero to killing children? That needed much more of a build-up. He didn't even balk at the order or cringe. It was like he was a puppet with no mind of his own.
In the book, he learns that the technique of Darth Plageus that Palpatine was talking about was possibly in the Jedi Archives with the Sith Holocrons in their possession. However, when the Council named him Master In Name Only, with none of the benefits, including access to what he needs in the archives, he saw it as the council getting in the way of him trying to find a way to save Padme.
We can also speculate that over the course of his life, Palpatine became like his mother and Padme...he didn't want to lose someone who was possibly the best father figure he had next to Obi-Wan, and in turn the Jedi were distrustful of him, because he was close with Palpatine, with whom the Council had fallen out of favor with during the Clone Wars.

They don't really touch on why he was angry about his Master title being nerfed, but the book makes it clear why, and puts it in perspective.
"Never touch a Kel Dor's sammich."
"We're on a message board together. I'm already inclined to think you're a schmuck."

harlekwin
01.20.2012 , 12:09 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by ForlornHope View Post
I'm pretty sure he saved the Tusken that was caught under a rock.
I'll go back and look again, but I am fairly certain it was that he tortured the wounded Tusken then decided "nobly" to let him live.

gravagehulk
01.20.2012 , 12:10 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Listerman View Post
In the book, he learns that the technique of Darth Plageus that Palpatine was talking about was possibly in the Jedi Archives with the Sith Holocrons in their possession. However, when the Council named him Master In Name Only, with none of the benefits, including access to what he needs in the archives, he saw it as the council getting in the way of him trying to find a way to save Padme.
We can also speculate that over the course of his life, Palpatine became like his mother and Padme...he didn't want to lose someone who was possibly the best father figure he had next to Obi-Wan, and in turn the Jedi were distrustful of him, because he was close with Palpatine, with whom the Council had fallen out of favor with during the Clone Wars.

They don't really touch on why he was angry about his Master title being nerfed, but the book makes it clear why, and puts it in perspective.
It's too bad that it takes books to fill in the blanks that a movie should have been able to sufficiently convey.