Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DPS Meters- A Elitist Guild Leader's Compromise

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
DPS Meters- A Elitist Guild Leader's Compromise

Baliso
01.20.2012 , 09:23 AM | #1
Up to this point, Bioware has taken the approach of satisfying the larger (casual gamer) market segment for SWTOR in regards to DPS Meters. The casual player does not want to be compared to elitists on a regular basis and be seen as a 'noob' or called out for sustaining low dps. Simply put, this is an understandable move; however, ultimately the pressure from the more hardcore 1-5% will become overwhelming and a compromise will need to be achieved.

As a guild leader and raid leader of a hardcore 5/5NM PvE guild I can develop a general idea of who is pulling their weight in raids. Indeed it is easy to track simple frequency statistics such as "who eats what when/where" in a fight - paper+pencil table ftw! One thing I would like is a better understanding of who has their rotation down/ how their dps compares overall to the guild. I know people dont enjoy the pressure (unless hardcore gamers) of constantly pushing meters on ops, but could we atleast get a "target dummy" where I can essentially have a member go to test their dps (where i can go to test my dps) and see how best to optimize it given patch changes etc. All I'm asking for is a dummy where i can go , unload for 3min and get some basic statistics reported in a similar to warzone report fashion - ie. dps, hps, largest heal, average crit dmg, ability break(ideal of dmg/crit). In addition, it would be kinda cool to have a dummy that hits you (but while in say melee range (in a city environment) you are chain healed) for reporting defensive statistics.

Leading further into this: Combat Logs- Problem with them is, someone can obtain a lot of information about who eats what, dps etc. if they really wanted to- takes a lot more effort. However, all i would like in this sense is just a report thats like

Baliso has died- Final (Death) Blow : Annihilator's Storm Barrage- 7345 Damage (2002) Overkill.

This allows a raid member to know their cause of death and fix it next run. It also lets me know on fights like Bone in KP why a member suddenly just drops to a random 30k mechanic (on full rakata tank?).

Hope this gets taken into consideration. Let me know what you guys think!

Cheers,

Baliso
Anchorhead

theothersteve
01.20.2012 , 09:27 AM | #2
Good post.

One "concern" I have is that combat logs will make the playerbase aware of large class balance discrepancies. I severely doubt that class DPS is well-balanced; we just don't have a good way to measure it yet.

Nazgadazoorp
01.20.2012 , 09:35 AM | #3
+1

I quite sure that the classes are unbalance and a dpsmeter will just show how much unbalance it is.
**** RENDEZ MOI MES CHOCAPICS !!! ****

Baliso
01.20.2012 , 09:38 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by theothersteve View Post
Good post.

One "concern" I have is that combat logs will make the playerbase aware of large class balance discrepancies. I severely doubt that class DPS is well-balanced; we just don't have a good way to measure it yet.
I think we all know classes are slightly imbalanced you're right though they are probably slightly afraid that by providing this confirmation it will further the complaints on this issue

Helagoth
01.20.2012 , 10:22 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Baliso View Post
Up to this point, Bioware has taken the approach of satisfying the larger (casual gamer) market segment for SWTOR in regards to DPS Meters.
I stopped reading right here because it's not true. BW didn't take a high and mighty approach to damage meters in game, they didn't get them done in time to ship for christmas. They'll be in the game eventually.
Integrity MMO Community
Casual, no pressure, Quality Raiding - Juyo Server
PvE - EST - Mature Players Only

elbicnivnimai
01.20.2012 , 10:28 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Helagoth View Post
I stopped reading right here because it's not true. BW didn't take a high and mighty approach to damage meters in game, they didn't get them done in time to ship for christmas. They'll be in the game eventually.
You didn't stop reading there. You read the whole thing. Because it was a well written non-QQ post about an issue you clearly have an opinion on. Every time someone says they stopped reading, they're just looking for attention or something dumb.

So stop saying stupid ****.

Baliso
01.20.2012 , 10:50 AM | #7
They are essentially already implemented in Warzones - combat is logged, and reported. Enough said. If they wanted to implement them in PvE they would have, it was not a question of time constraints or lack of corporate resources.

Kaijin
01.20.2012 , 11:22 AM | #8
Casual, no pressure, Quality Raiding - Juyo Server
I stopped reading there.

ltankhsd
01.20.2012 , 11:40 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaijin View Post
I stopped reading there.
I stopped reading there.

lifewontwait
01.20.2012 , 12:12 PM | #10
Read the whole thing. I liked it, good ideas. Hopefully they'll take them into consideration.