Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Failure to engage player through story

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Failure to engage player through story

Bone_Machine
12.15.2011 , 12:50 AM | #41
I had the same problems with the Trooper story for the most part OP. To be honest I found the entirety of Act 1 completely uninteresting and I believe it is due to one major flaw in the storyline. That being,
Spoiler

You're not properly introduced to any of them. You're instantly sent off to perform solo missions. You never fight alongside them which means you don't even feel like a member of the squad and you never have any real conversations with them so their later actions have almost no meaning to you on a personal level. I honestly forgot about characters like Fuse, Gearbox, Wraith and Needles until I met them again so I didn't really care about any of it. The only one that stuck in my mind was Tavus because he had a few memorable lines of dialogue but that's it.

As a whole I had almost no emotional attachment to the story of Act 1.

That said, I would suggest hanging in there. The Trooper quest line does pick up in Act 2 once you get the initial mission out of the way (around level 33). Then you're given a new objective and you start to feel more like your actions have 'galactic' significance.
Here Comes The Arm

Smoda
12.15.2011 , 01:15 AM | #42
That is good to hear Bone_Machine, I am definitely going to keep playing because I still want to play a Trooper.

On a side note it is nice to see all the constructive responses to this topic. I was worried I was just going to get flamed into oblivion.

Starwitch
12.15.2011 , 03:05 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Smoda View Post
*Reposting this here because it is impossible to have a discussion in general chat at the momemnt*

I just reached level 16 as a Trooper and was given my starship. Zero fanfare or sense of achievement. Just a nonchalant "Hey take this thing". Minutes earlier I sat through line after line of boring voice over for glorified kill quests spread throughout an unnecessarily massive area of lower Coruscant. This all got me thinking about the main feature of this "story" driven MMO.

Is the trooper class quest more boring than the others? Is every class this way? Does a Jedi defeat a Sith Lord only for the quest giver to say "Yea that was cool, go do it again on the next planet". I thought the class stories were supposed to make this game unique and interesting. At this rate the class quests are like every other quest in the game, except they don't end. I would roll another character in a heartbeat if I were told that his mindless dribble doesn't extend to every other class story.
Having played a 50 trooper in beta, you won't be disappointed. You just hit a slow point in the story line. Without posting spoilers, it gets slow from 16 to 24. then the rest of the way it gets awesome. Let me put it to you this way, I wasn't planning on leveling a trooper til 50. But by 30 it was so good, I just flew all the way to 50.

Some classes lull at different levels, like SW kind of drags a bit at 28ish to 34. So it just depends on the story. But it does get really good.
"You have to have faith in The Great Material Continuum....its the force that binds the universe together"

kvalentin
12.15.2011 , 03:17 AM | #44
I don't know about the trooper line, sorry, but I can say I got to level 30 during beta as a jedi consular and in the beginning, I rerolled as a smuggler around level 15 cuz I was bored because the story sucked. But I ended up going back to see the other planets and around level 20 or 25, new characters were introduced and it got so much better. I was so enthralled in the character story I flew from planet to planet JUST to finish my class story quest and finish act 1. I got to the last quest just as the beta ended, but I can honestly say I am really looking forward to doing it all again and seeing the next chapter of the jedi consular story.

Clydey
12.15.2011 , 04:06 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Bone_Machine View Post
I had the same problems with the Trooper story for the most part OP. To be honest I found the entirety of Act 1 completely uninteresting and I believe it is due to one major flaw in the storyline. That being,
Spoiler
Not just that but
Spoiler

Quote: Originally Posted by Starwitch View Post
Having played a 50 trooper in beta, you won't be disappointed. You just hit a slow point in the story line. Without posting spoilers, it gets slow from 16 to 24. then the rest of the way it gets awesome.
Thanks Starwitch, I am loving the game thus far even with the slow start in story and I was going to make sure to see my trooper to the end but it is good to hear that it picks up the pace ^^.

Remair
12.15.2011 , 04:18 AM | #46
Personally I really enjoyed the BH's prologue I played through in the beta weekend. Both made me feel like a cool bounty-hunter wannabe running around doing anything for credits, and was an engaging story. Suprises, twists, betrayals... all in the first 10 levels. Sure a couple of side quests did seem a bit "kill erm... them... why not." but most were well written. You weren't running through dungeon X... you were killing the rival of a crimelord to earn favour in hopes of one day becoming a real bounty hunter.

SilentKitty
12.15.2011 , 04:21 AM | #47
I got to the last bit on the starterworld with my trooper and I loved it! She had a very different feel than my smuggler that I played the previous day so it was my second day on Ord Mantell. Was a bit worried that I would be too bored to play the same area twice but it worked great for me.

I've gotten pretty far on my smuggler, trooper and sith warrior and I would say that I will start all of them today when I get access. But I will play the one that I feel like playing that day. The smuggler is more of a Indiana Jones-movie and the trooper will come out when I feel like playing my Fem(Shep) war hero. I was caught up in each story but in different ways. I am sure that I will play through every class-story there is in this game, simply to follow the story. But on a given day, I might feel more like playing my fun loving smuggler than my quite serious Sith Warrior. About your Trooper, do you follow orders even if they are bad, or do you try to speak up. Do you tell on fellow soldiers who are acting in a despicable way or do you simply let it slide because you do not want to draw that attention to yourself. I felt that I got to know my little trooper quite well by the time she was leaving Ord Mantell.

Dylancholy
12.15.2011 , 04:57 AM | #48
I've been extremely bored since the second half of coruscant. played smuggler. after coruscant, when chapter 1 began, story got pretty interesting, then died down right away.
taris and now nar shaddaa I both find boring. i'm worried the rest of the game will be like this. i want the story to progress, but it's frustrating that every small step of personal story is clogged up by an hour or more of pointless chains. i don't find them really engaging like i did on ord mantell.

i guess the best way to put it would be like playing kotor, but every time you moved a step forward in a quest line, you had to sit through an hour of unrelated stuff. Like say you meet Mission, but before you can go and free zaalbar, you have to spend two hours killing rakghouls and gammoreans. that's how i feel, any way. i don't know

I just want my story to move... and I hear quesh has only one story quest.

Erevan_Kindelar
12.15.2011 , 05:10 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Smoda View Post
It is a reasonable quest to go on but you are still doing the typical MMO thing the entire time. I don't know what I was expecting but I might have set the bar too high. Our class quests are kill and gather quests like everything else. I don't even know what I would suggest as an alternative, I left that up to the game developers.
The majority of the quests for the other professions also fall into the "kill and gather" type within the subtext of the overall class story (plus, the trooper is a soldier with a f***ing big gun... what is the character going to find more interesting, spending 3 years sitting around a table negotiating a trade treaty, or pulling out the gun and seeing if he can hit the Sith negotiator in both eyes with two shots before the b***ard realises what is happening?), so the idea is that the player can see how the kill/gather quest impacts the storyline more.

Smuggler and Imperial Agent, plus Jedi Consular and Sith Inquisitor will see more "alternative" missions with sneaking around or brain work involved, but even on those missions the goal is usually "kill this, figure out how to open that, gather the loot, leave" type.
No, really! I am telling the truth, honestly! Look I can prove it, I am a politician! I am as honest as the day is long!
Besides, I am a terrible liar, everyone can see when I am lying - my lips are moving... oh damn, err, that last comment was off the record, right?

bubblelol
12.15.2011 , 05:14 AM | #50
I played all the characters through the starter planets in beta, i absolutely loved the trooper storyline, i even started feeling a bond with my companions by the time i got in the late 20's.
And as for havoc squad you was involved with them quite a bit in the first planet even meeting wraith in one of your quests. unless you were spamming space bar i dont see how you could not love it.
Those things will kill you