Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Failure to engage player through story

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Failure to engage player through story

Astralfury
12.14.2011 , 04:59 PM | #31
I think some of your problems are due to the "yes sir!" style that the trooper has to him by nature of the story, am not sure if later on this opens up any but you are taking orders in a very military style and the storyline (like most of the republic ones) are reactionary to start with compared to the more pro-active empire ones.

I spent most of my beta time with the empire classes (did a trooper to about 15 though just before getting the ship) and loved them. If the storyline with the Trooper isnt doing it for you I can recommend the two force using Empire classes and the Imperial Agent (which feels like an evil james bond).

Sznur
12.14.2011 , 05:17 PM | #32
One thing that really disappointed me during beta was that choosing your AC is nothing more than UI click. I was expecting much more than that.

Dreamsinger
12.14.2011 , 05:47 PM | #33
played a consular/shadow up to 20 in beta, and was never bored. The plot sucked me right in. Now I am curious to try the trooper just for masochism's sake
There is a special place in Hell for Forum Flamers, right next Child Molesters and those who talk in the theatre.

Rasticles
12.14.2011 , 06:07 PM | #34
Hey OP... I played a Trooper to about lvl 10.... the story may not be intriguing to you if you have no military background....

In the Mil, when you do something epic say 5 mins ago, your CO asks you what you have done for the corps lately......there is no fanfare.....

If the trooper isn't grabbing you, I'd heavily suggest a Smuggler (assuming you want to stay Republic).. their story starts out with a bang, and you spend 12-14 levels undoing that bang.... Sorry no spoilers for you

macabdul
12.14.2011 , 06:11 PM | #35
I played a BH in beta to lvl 13 and enjoyed every minute of it.

If they don't make a big thing out of getting a ship it'll be a little flat, agreed.

All I can say though (hope for really) is that I get to come back and deal with that damn Hutt who gave away my invite to the hunt and tried to kill me in the pit, the double dealing, low down, dirty.....

Love it

macabdul
12.14.2011 , 06:14 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Sznur View Post
One thing that really disappointed me during beta was that choosing your AC is nothing more than UI click. I was expecting much more than that.
Also agree. These points in your career/the story should be celebrated, a highlight a little more.

If they made these little changes it would add much more to the game for such a small outlay.

Wishpig
12.14.2011 , 06:56 PM | #37
I'm certain some stories will be better than others. I enjoyed the trooper's to level 10... but Imperial Agent and Sith Warrior were on a whole new level of awesome. Perhaps it's just a matter of finding a character whose story you can get behind.

Frankly Space Marines seem to be in every other game. Trooper isn't that exciting 'cause I feel like I've played that role too many times.

Same with the Jedi classes. I played a Jedi in Kotor 1 and 2... kinda bored with it.

I've never played as a sci-fi evil secret police character though, maybe that's why I loved the Agent so much more.

Smoda
12.14.2011 , 11:24 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by cunctatorg View Post
If this approach is reliable and accurate -and I have no reasons to doubt it- then the TR storyline should be more than an engaging story...

Smoda, what is your opinion about Pemmin's very remark?
I agree with his remark about the military fanfare. I sure didn't expect anything much different but it still feels uninspired and boring too me. Yes I don't like it, I am not saying the game is terrible, but I still want to play a trooper because of its gameplay, not the story.

Smoda
12.14.2011 , 11:29 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Rasticles View Post
Hey OP... I played a Trooper to about lvl 10.... the story may not be intriguing to you if you have no military background....

In the Mil, when you do something epic say 5 mins ago, your CO asks you what you have done for the corps lately......there is no fanfare.....

If the trooper isn't grabbing you, I'd heavily suggest a Smuggler (assuming you want to stay Republic).. their story starts out with a bang, and you spend 12-14 levels undoing that bang.... Sorry no spoilers for you

I do not have a military background, I find it interesting that you enjoyed it more because of (I'm assuming) yours. Were you trained to enjoy mundane video game stories?

Berlichtingen
12.15.2011 , 12:30 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Smoda View Post
Is the trooper class quest more boring than the others? Is every class this way?
I haven't tried a trooper (and probably won't), but I've found the Sith (warrior and inquisitor) quests to be quite engaging. And, while having not played very far with it, I found the bit of the Jedi quest line to be interesting
----
Honestly, the best Jedi is a dead Jedi. The universe will be a better place when there are fewer people sitting around together, singing Kumbayah